Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this all.. want to make cappuccinos for my wife.. please help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this all.. want to make cappuccinos for my wife.. please help!!

Hello,
    I have been on the site for awhile and appreciate the honesty of all the posts. I have a few questions. I am new to all of this. My most advanced coffee making ability is using a french press. I want to get a machine that my wife can easily use or learn to use, will last and that she or I could make decent cappuccinos with. I was considering LELIT PL042 EM as I have read on multiple sites it is an excellent machine. Honestly, I am somewhat nervous to make any purchase as I dont want to be overwhelmed with too big a learning curve and reviews seem to be so mixed depending on where you go. I can spend $500 but preferably less. Funny enough I cant even find the price and a place to buy the Lelit model. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Nick Myhre

I used that machine for three years and enjoyed it. Unless you are getting this second hand expect that it will be well over your budget though as it is about $1,000 in Australia.

Comment

Don't forget that you will also need a decent quality grinder, which you will need to factor into your price. I know you're after espresso/cappuccino but fresh beans, ground immediately before you use them is fundamental, and will dramatically improve your French press.

Good luck on your mission!

Comment

dski raises a good point... although the grinder in the Lelit Combi is okay, I found that there was a massive improvement in espresso quality when I upgraded to a Mazzer Mini...

Comment

As near as I can tell from the description, that's a single boiler machine. If you are wanting capps there is going to be a world of pain producing them. You'd be better off with (as above) a separate grinder and a machine that is either dual boiler or dual thermoblock - that way there's no pissfarting around trying to get things back up to temp or pressure so you can do the other half of the coffee making.

For a reasonable price that leaves you with either the Breville or Sunbeam machines. GoodGuys currently have a special on the SB EM6910 with an EM0450 grinder for $499 although I'd go for the SB EM7000 in preference. And probably an EM0480 grinder - the newer ones (EM0500 and EM0700 don't seem to be worth the extra)

If you look around you can probably find a deal on Brevilles as well - try Harvey's, GoodGuys, Myer etc.

Also for grinders, there's the Mahlkonig Vario Generation II that for a little more will do an excellent job even if/when you upgrade the coffee machine.

Comment

Definitely a single boiler...

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
              For a reasonable price that leaves you with either the Breville or Sunbeam machines. GoodGuys currently have a special on the SB EM6910 with an EM0450 grinder for $499 although I'd go for the SB EM7000 in preference. And probably an EM0480 grinder - the newer ones (EM0500 and EM0700 don't seem to be worth the extra) try Harvey's, GoodGuys, Myer etc.
              I think Webjet or Flight Centre are running specials on flights from Florida! ;-D

Welcome to CS Nick! Hope your time here is enjoyable and that your coffee journey goes to great places! ;-)

Comment

*grins* Oops... Guess who didn't notice the location?

Comment

You're gonna frighten the guy to death telling him it'll be a world of pain without a DB It's not true.

Comment

Morning Nick, depends on how fussy your wife is about her coffee and just how involved you want to get.

This could be a case where a POD machine may well do the job, would certainly cost much less than an espresso machine and grinder.

Comment

I could get a very respectable latte out of a humble Sunbeam Cafe Crema. Certainly cheaper than going in the pod direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Brevillista View Post
                        You're gonna frighten the guy to death telling him it'll be a world of pain without a DB It's not true.
                        Especially without pointing out the difference between a 'single boiler' and 'single boiler HX' and 'Double Boiler'.

Nick,

Have a read of this info from site sponsor Di Bartoli for some accurate explanations:

http://dibartoli.com.au/content/choo...%20machine.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Brevillista View Post
                          That might be true for an experienced coffee maker, but a novice coming in will not enjoy the experience. Just look at some of the threads on here showing the problems people have with SB machines. And then there are the threads that detail the process users go through to get their first cup of coffee. An example found on many coffee sites goes like:
                          1. Turn it on
                          2. Wait for the boiler light to go off
                          3. Run the steam for 10 secs
                          4. Wait for boiler light to go off again
                          5. Wait about 30 secs the put the PF in
                          6. Run some water through to heat water lines and cup
                          7. Wait for the boiler light to go off
                          8. Run water through the pf
                          9. Wait for the boiler light to go off
                          10. Remove PF and dry it and place it back into group head – don’t want it cooling
                          11. Grind into container, then dose into the basket and load PF
                          12. Run the steam NOT the coffee – the delay means the boiler needs priming (or something again) or maybe it reduces the pressure?
                          13. Bleed some pressure from the boiler by opening the valve. Not too much or you’ll have to wait again. Don’t let the boiler light go out or you’ll have to remove the jug and bleed steam till the light comes on again.

On the other hand, here is my procedure with the Sunbeam EM6910:
                          1. Turn it on
                          2. wait for all lights to come on - prepare milk jug while waiting, top up grinder etc
                          3. Grind into basket, tamp
                          4. put into group head
                          5. Start coffee
                          6. Steam milk while coffee is pouring

And that's it. I know which process I would prefer to be doing every time I want a coffee. AFAIK the Breville dual boiler is similar in process to the SB. HX's are also relatively simple. IMO single boilers are for those who rarely drink milk in their coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                            AFAIK the Breville dual boiler is similar in process to the SB.

?????????? Websites are full of opinion masquerading as fact but.......... some straight facts would be better......yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7rMCiPNv0

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                              ?????????? Websites are full of opinion masquerading as fact but.......... some straight facts would be better......yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7rMCiPNv0
                              Yep looks pretty much the same process as the SB, although that link doesn't actually show him making coffee. So were you just confirming my opinion?

Mind you the BES900's START around $1100+ and the 920's are more. The Sunbeam EM7000 is around $750 now the sales are off - it was under $700 a couple of weeks back so it should be possible to get the SB machine and a Vario grinder for the price of the basic Breville. (EDIT: actually Myer have it right now for $680 and the BES900 for $1105 - while that's in Australia it gives a good indication of relative cost of 2 similar (in function) machines)

you could also get a Silvia for less than the Breville, but you're back to single boiler rituals - and that one I posted above is listed as 'Cheating Miss Silvia' on the net - in other words it is the way to get around really long waiting times... but it still highlights the issues of trying to get two different temps and two different pressures from the same boiler.

Comment

Working...
                              X