Help with purchasing a coffee machine under $600 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with purchasing a coffee machine under $600 please

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to CoffeeSnobs and I'm looking at purchasing a Breville BES840 or BES810. Please advise which would be the best option as we don't want to spend a huge amount of money but really want to drink great coffee. We also would like our coffee experience to be fairly easy.
    At the moment we have a Nespresso U Pod Machine, which was a gift and we also have a Breville Bar Vista, which is very old. My husband refuses to use the Nespresso machine because he loves to make a REAL coffee. I use the Nespresso because it was a gift to me, however I know the coffee isn't great compared to using freshly roasted, ground coffee beans. I'm also fed up with having to buy Nespresso Pods all the time to have a mediocre coffee.
    Hence, we're now looking to consolidate into one machine instead of two coffee machines sitting on our kitchen bench.
    Any suggestions for a machine under the $600 mark would be awesome.

Does that $600 budget have to buy a grinder as well? It's very important to know as a $600 machine paired with say a $500 grinder puts you in a totally different market to what you'll get if the $600 is for both.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Leroy. I already have a basic grinder, so just the coffee machine at this
      stage. Cheers ��

Comment

Welcome Linda

Your husband sounds a right 'snob and that's how it should be!

Depending on your answer to Leroy, many here would suggest you consider a second hand rancilio silvia and rocky grinder combo - while theyre popular and long lived, snob upgraditis is a serious condition, meaning they often get rehomed when still young.

Comment

just read your reply to leroy

'basic grinder' rings some alarm bells - 'it's all in the grind'. Forget buying a good machine until you can pair it with a decent grinder

The silvia/rocky combo is still possible for $600ish - just a few years old tho
          Last edited by WantRancilio10; 29 July 2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I hear you WantRancilio10. I'll look into those options you suggest. Thank you so much.

Comment

Hi Linda,

If you're located in Sydney, this may be of interest.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...es-sydney.html

Cheers, Dave

Comment

Yes I was thinking the same. What's your 'basic grinder'? If it's a small conical burr grinder like a Sunbeam EM0480 or Breville Dose Control or Smart Grinder then that will be fine to start with. Nothing less will do though. Blade and flat 'burr mill' grinders like an Emide just aren't cut out for espresso.

Comment

I think we're assuming you like to texture milk with your coffee. If milk isn't important, then your budget situation looks much rosier as you may not need a 'machine' (eg consider behmor brazen instead) and a lesser grinder may also be ok.
                  Last edited by WantRancilio10; 30 July 2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Yes, we do love our Cappuccino and Latte as well as Espresso.
                    It looks like we might need to invest in a Grinder. We like to buy beans from our local Coffee Roaster (support local business), also is delicious coffee,and they grind them for the Espresso Machine then we keep them in the fridge. We also love to go out for coffee but want to have cafe quality quickly at home. We don't have the budget for an expensive machine. Really just want to buy a good machine to get the two old machines off the bench.

Comment

Cheaper options that are common that you could consider are a gaggia classic or sunbeam 6910/0480 combo (good for 'entertainers') but if it's 'cafe quality' you're after silvia is a recognised lower benchmark (combined with a decent grinder)

Comment

Ok so it looks like your current grinder isn't good enough to handle the step up. With a budget of $600 for machine and grinder I highly recommend you look at second hand options. It's probably a bit more overwhelming for someone just starting out, but if you buy off Coffee Snobs rather than the mine field that is eBay you're more likely to get equipment that's been looked after properly. It may have even had a recent service and you'll be able to ask advice on here about anything that's currently on offer.

Comment

Here's some recent sales of machine/grinder combos that were in your budget and would've met your requirements:
                          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/sold/40971-sold-fs-sunbeam-em6910-machine-em480-grinder.htmlhttp://coffeesnobs.com.au/sold/41731-sold-sale-rancilio-silvia-v3-grinder-nsw.html
                          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/sold/41675...-brisbane.html

Comment

This is probably the only current listing that could work for you. You'd still need a grinder, but finding a 2nd hand Sunbeam EM0480 or Breville Smart Grinder for around $100 isn't too hard so it's worth considering.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...elli-sale.html

Comment

The Sunbeam EM0480 might be a bit marginal. Okay with a 6910/7000 but I understand not recommended to be mixed with fussy silvia.

Comment

Working...
                              X