Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around 500$ budget cant decide on machine, first time home brewer, please advise ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around 500$ budget cant decide on machine, first time home brewer, please advise ?

Please suggest, I will be home brewing for the first time
    I drink my coffee with milk, a self confessed novice

Option One - Gaggia Classic + a basic hand Grinder

Option two - Breville Smart Grinder Pro + (An espresso machine around 250$)

Option Three - Macap M2M + Aeropress

I am open to suggestions, if you think there is a better combination out there !

Hi there,

This might be a different sort of suggestion, however If you say your budget is $500 or there abouts i suggest you wait another couple of months until you have saved another $500 and try to get yourself something like a Rancilio silvia and a breville smart grinder or if you can stretch it out a M2M. I only say this from personal experience over the years. I look at the machine I have now and wished Id saved the money first up.

If you didn't want to go down this road any of the options above might work or try looking for something that is second hand around your budget.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Welcome to CS!

Agree wholeheartedly with coffeechris!

I can tell you there comes a time when you think "good grief, why am I drinking average coffees".

Have a look over our Sponsors' sites as well. So many goodies to look at!

Comment

Before recommending anything else... do you drink (coffee) like George Thorogood.... ie alone? Or do you want a solution more versatile?
        Re: option 1 - It's all in the grind - a hand grinder is an option but espresso machines will not tolerate anything too basic. The Gaggia's ok.
        Re: option 2 - Any new 'espresso' machine retailing for $250 might produce a coffee-like drink but it will be ... generally rubbish in terms of espresso.
        Re: option 3 - Does it matter if your milk is not nicely 'stretched' like cafes do? This option certainly works as a two step process for the long term - ie step 1 with step 2 being enough funds for a decent machine.
        Last edited by WantRancilio10; 24 November 2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I reckon option 3 is like agreeing with Chris, but getting half of what you want sooner.. Cause it's not like the aero press would be a wasted purchase after a machine comes along. Great for trips away.
          Get your M2M, so you have a base of a great grinder, and then continue saving toward a Rancilio Silvia.

Comment

An older but in good condition smart grinder and EM6910 will cost around $200 each and produce coffee better than many cafes.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
              An older but in good condition smart grinder and EM6910 will cost around $200 each and produce coffee better than many cafes.

PU6910 Espresso Bar includes EM6910 Espresso Machine & EM0440 Grinder are avaialble on myer as a combo for 600. Is it a good option ?

Comment

Thanks coffeechris, I am definitely considering your advice...

I appreciate the senior members taking time to answer the queries

Comment

Originally posted by MochaSam View Post
                  EM6910 Espresso Machine & EM0440 Grinder
                  Many snobs began with a 6910 & 440/480/490. Many snobs still have them and are happy enough. They don't retain value so can be picked up very cheaply on the used market (the 0480/490 are better than the 440, if you had the choice).

Comment

The coffee unit is the same. but the grinder is not as good as a smart grinder imho. FYI I paid $70 for my (used) smart grinder, perfect condition. There is one currently on gumtree for $190 in perth. It's been on there for months. Obviously over priced. If you're in Perth, offer max $100 and go from there.

The 440 or 480 I've see reasonable regularly on gumtree for well under $100. I think there is one there now for $60 so it would probably go for $40 if it hasn't already.

FYI i recently sold a 6910 to someone on coffeesnobs for $200, worked perfectly. I also bought one for my father for only $50. Didn't look as nice but still works as it should. He's currently using my Hario hand grinder and building lots of muscle in the process.

Btw, as you can tell, I rarely buy stuff new. I hate paying for depreciation, but if you want it right now, want security of warranties etc then new is still a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
                      The coffee unit is the same. but the grinder is not as good as a smart grinder imho. FYI I paid $70 for my (used) smart grinder, perfect condition. There is one currently on gumtree for $190 in perth. It's been on there for months. Obviously over priced. If you're in Perth, offer max $100 and go from there.

The 440 or 480 I've see reasonable regularly on gumtree for well under $100. I think there is one there now for $60 so it would probably go for $40 if it hasn't already.

FYI i recently sold a 6910 to someone on coffeesnobs for $200, worked perfectly. I also bought one for my father for only $50. Didn't look as nice but still works as it should. He's currently using my Hario hand grinder and building lots of muscle in the process.

Btw, as you can tell, I rarely buy stuff new. I hate paying for depreciation, but if you want it right now, want security of warranties etc then new is still a viable option.
                      Thanks MrFreddofrog, I have been looking for a new unit for the peace of mind of a warranty.
                      I don't mind going for a 2nd that is still covered. I will start going through gumtree.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by MochaSam View Post
                        Thanks MrFreddofrog, I have been looking for a new unit for the peace of mind of a warranty.
                        I don't mind going for a 2nd that is still covered. I will start going through gumtree.

Thanks again
                        We also have a For Sale section on this forum. Good bargains turn up there.

Make sure you approach a gumtree deal as a Caveat Emptor or Buyer Beware. Ask as many questions you can imagine. Make sure (if possible) you get a chance to see and try a coffee made from a machine being sold. Be careful of retail shops offering "deals". Sometimes their goods are grey imports, and quality of after sales service little to none.
                        Run any purchase you might consider past the forum. Users are a wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
                          We also have a For Sale section on this forum. Good bargains turn up there.

Make sure you approach a gumtree deal as a Caveat Emptor or Buyer Beware. Ask as many questions you can imagine. Make sure (if possible) you get a chance to see and try a coffee made from a machine being sold. Be careful of retail shops offering "deals". Sometimes their goods are grey imports, and quality of after sales service little to none.
                          Run any purchase you might consider past the forum. Users are a wealth of knowledge.
                          This is true. There are lots of dodgy sellers on gumtree. I'm yet to buy off CS so can't say much about that avenue.

Comment

Welcome "MochaSam"....

As you will see posted by many CSers, especially the ones who have been around for a while, that you should aim to buy the best grinder you can afford because it is down to this single piece of hardware when used with freshly roasted high quality beans, that you will realise the best that the bean has to offer.

Given that statement, I would support your third option too as the AeroPress is no slouch when it comes to being able to produce excellent quality results in the cup. At least with owning a very decent grinder in the form of the Macap, down the road there is less to think about when deciding what to do when selecting a decent espresso machine to match it up with. I probably use my AeroPress about 40% of the time making coffee, as it just offers a different (but excellent) perspective to always using the espresso machine...

Worth a long, careful consideration in my view...

Mal.

Comment

Great points re getting a decent grinder. Worthwhile long term investment.

A grinder you could safely buy used for something like a k3, built to last and not much to go wrong , especially if the history is credible. That would eat up around half your budget. As would a brand new breville smart grinder (often on sale for 200) which although not as solid as something like a k3, gives great performance for the $, and you can keep if for filter coffees when/if you upgrade to a traditional grinder.

With the rest of the budget the aero press is awesome as recommended already. You could get a second hand 6910 or nemox/lelit style machine if your lucky which would give you the espresso option.

Keep an eye out in the for sale section. I'm sure you will find great gear in your budget, assuming you don't need it now.

Also have a read through this site, there is lots of great info that you will find handy.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X