Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement filter basket for EM6910

Hi folks, newcomer here.

I recently picked up a EM6910 and EM0480 off gumtree for a total of $50. Pretty good deal for a noob espresso enthusiast, I thought. Everything seems to be in good working order after a thorough clean, apart from the magnet in the low water sensor float.

Unfortunately, the only basket I have is the double wall, double shot, which I'm finding makes really crap espresso. I'm sure my technique has plenty to do with it as well, but I've seen enough comments on here to know that the double-walled filters are best avoided. Thus, my questions:

1. Would it be best to try and source an original sunbeam non-pressurised double filter for my machine, or would you guys recommend something premium like a VST (given that I'll be learning to make espresso on this basket from scratch, and not having to modify my technique perfected previously on a different basket).

2. If 3rd-party, which basket is recommended and will fit my portafilter? I've done an advanced search on here ("EM6910 filter basket") and read every thread that came up. Believe it or not, even though there is plenty of discussion around the topic, there are no definitive answers as to which filters are confirmed to be compatible. I'd prefer not to have to modify wires/PF, and I'd really prefer not to order something for $50 and find it doesn't fit at all on arrival. I do know I'm after 58mm, ridgeless, but I'd love some advice from the wise old ones.

Thank you!

Good find! From reports read here VST is probably best avoided for a beginner, have never used one though but reported to be finicky and needing a fine grind.

I have been using a synesso double for years across a few machines and love it (got it with a matched Pullman tamper).

The sunbeam double and breville double boiler double basket are quite decent. Or the EP baskets seems to get a good wrap also.

As long as you don't go more than a double they should all fit I would have thought, the sunbeam double is just shy of the synesso from memory height wise.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for reply. Do you know anyone who has used a synesso basket in the em6910?

Yes, I've heard the VST baskets are tough, although most of those reports were from people switching to VST from another type of basket. I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have as much trouble since I would be starting with it from the beginning, without the need to "unlearn" bad habits etc. I guess another risk is I would reach the limitations of my entry level grinder fairly rapidly and be unable to get decent results without upgrading, which I'm not in a position to do at the moment.

I would be interested to hear comments from other folks who have used both the OEM and 3rd party baskets in the em6910.

Comment

Hey StratosOZ

Where are you? If you're interested I have some 6910 spare baskets you have.

Comment

Hi Freddo, that's very kind of you to offer. I'm in Brisbane, so I wouldn't be able to pick up. Unfortunately I have nothing to trade, but I'm more than happy to pay a reasonable amount. Can I PM you?

Comment

PM your heart out.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
              PM your heart out.
              Done, thanks Freddo.

I'm still keen to hear what experienced forum members think of using 3rd-party baskets, and which ones they know will fit/work well.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by StratosOZ View Post
                Done, thanks Freddo.

I'm still keen to hear what experienced forum members think of using 3rd-party baskets, and which ones they know will fit/work well.

Cheers!
                G'day StratosOZ

The best two changes I added to a 6910: VST baskets (I have two sites and two complete sets) and a naked p/f. Both changes made a huge difference "in the cup" and the synergy of the pair of them is remarkable.

Just my 2 cents.

TampIt
                PS: I probably have some spare 6910 baskets however, just like Freddo I am in the west. Oh yes - the dual wall baskets are a bad joke.

Comment

Originally posted by StratosOZ View Post
                  Thanks for reply. Do you know anyone who has used a synesso basket in the em6910?
                  I used a Synesso double (fitted to my Pullman tamper); fitted fine and worked a treat.

With my ECM I find that the Synesso causes the p/f to lock in a bit further around than the stock basket, so the lip must be a bit lower.

Comment

I wonder wthat StratOZ ended up with?
                    I have added Decent Espresso baskets to my VST and Pullmans baskets.
                    All have a use in one place or another.

Apart from the 7gm VST all the baskets seem fine to me and not too tricky to use.
                    But now I am lazy, got a set of scales and spring loaded tamper!

Has taken some variablily out of my coffee making.

Good I reckon, but making the morning brew is almost as addictive and expensive as motor racing!

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post

G'day StratosOZ

The best two changes I added to a 6910: VST baskets (I have two sites and two complete sets) and a naked p/f. Both changes made a huge difference "in the cup" and the synergy of the pair of them is remarkable.

Just my 2 cents.

TampIt
                      PS: I probably have some spare 6910 baskets however, just like Freddo I am in the west. Oh yes - the dual wall baskets are a bad joke.
                      Hi Tampit, I'm now doing the same research as the OP. Could you please tell me if you are running the ridged or ridgeless VST in the EM6910, and is it still the original Sunbeam PF that you modified to bottomless?
                      Thanks, pete

Comment

• level3ninja
                        level3ninja commented
                        Editing a comment
                        pedropedro
                        pedropedro They are ridgeless baskets and yes it is an older brass PF that he has modified to be naked.

• TampIt
                        TampIt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        G'day Mate

level3ninja is partially correct.

I have only ever (after a brief test) used the ridgeless VST's. FYI, I believe the ridged baskets were only designed in the 1950's to keep the basket in the p/f and they do horrible things to the evenness of the flow.

Over to thje p/f's I have posted before that I cannot see how pushing fragile crema through spouts can ever make a better cuppa - in fact it hinders quite a bit. Any cafe I set up uses naked p/f's... enough said.

All the original p/f's I converted were brass. After level3ninja's visit here I converted a couple of stainless 6910's (hint: use cutting oil!!!) and then a 7000 - which is much thicker, still possible with a good (Josco?) holesaw.

Oh, and my August 2008 6910 is still going strong (only ever sees dual filtered rainwater) and is in use at least twice a day every day. It is also my "go to machine" for parties or other larger scale events when I am roped in as a purveyor of fine coffees / chocolate drinks. At home my Decent DE1 will not froth and shot at the same time, so my trusty 6910 does all the milks.

Enjoy your chosen cuppa.

TampIt

Hi,

I've been playing around with baskets and have the following to add

1. Pullman baskets fit but fall out of the PF when emptying. 4th favourite on this list.

2. Synesso fits well and doesn't fall out when emptying. My second favourite of this bunch. I went the 22g or 21g as the 18g was out of stock.

3. Rancillo 58mm 19g fits the best. The top lip of the basket comes down perfectly over PF and doesn't fall out when emptying. My favourite and new go to basket.

4. Sunbeam non pressurised baskets still fit the best but I don't get the best espresso from it. 3rd favourite on this list.

Hope this helps,
                      John

Comment

• Blues1143
                        Blues1143 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a Pullman 22 grams in a bottomless (in EM7000) and it doesn't fall out - more just requires a little more work to get a good seal. Maybe a new portafilter spring?

Blues1143
                      Blues1143 Will give that a go. 👍

Comment

Working...
                      X