Simple manual machine for weekender/holiday home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple manual machine for weekender/holiday home

I've been lurking here for many years and had a lot of really useful info, well done all for sharing your insights.

Now I'm in a predicament.
    At home I have a San Marino Single group commercial machine with a Mazzer grinder.
    I manage to make decent coffee with it.

Question is what do get for the weekender. The San Marino is too heavy to carry!!

The little Sunbeam EM machines seem to get good reviews as does Gaggia Classic. Opposite ends of the spectrum in this range I know.

I can go to about $500 to $700 so am very interested to hear some suggestions.
    Manual suits me fine not into the fully auto stuff. been there done that

What sort of coffee are you making? How many coffees are you making? When you say manual do you mean you press a button to start and stop the shot or you press a lever to create the pressure to extract the coffee?

Comment

Do you need to steam milk?

Comment

Espresso, flat white, long black. Yes push a switch to start and stop the shot. Although the lever idea has attraction, do you mean like the old "one arm bandit" type?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          Do you need to steam milk?
          Yes for flat white

Comment

Originally posted by gonetroppo View Post
            Although the lever idea has attraction, do you mean like the old "one arm bandit" type?
            I mean like the Flair Espresso, Cafelat Robot, ROK, Espresso Forge... None of these steam milk though so you'd need a Bellman stovetop steamer as well.

Comment

The Breville BES870 would be a decent choice in this scenario I think. Fits right in your budget, has an inbuilt grinder but retains the manual shot and milk steaming functions. It's fast, easy and can make pretty good coffee once you get it dialed in.

It's not going to be able to replicate shots like a higher end machine and standalone grinder can but it's not bad at all.

Comment

Looks ok I'll have a look at it at Goodguys on the weekend.

Comment

We travel a lot and have 2 systems - roadside picnic ROK grinder & espresso - for milk frothing we heat our milk using a thermometer, then whisk with https://www.amazon.com.au/PowerLix-H.../dp/B01BY9RTNQ
                  For longer stays we have tthe Delonghi machine https://www.amazon.com.au/DeLonghi-D.../dp/B06WGTZ874 and the https://au.jura.com/en/homeproducts/...dCold-AU-24111
                  had this system for 3 years now and travelled extensively - never failed to produce the espressos and lattes we want!

Comment

My travel setup is now a niche zero grinder with a Breville Bambino Plus. The (breville) machine is very light, easy to keep clean and heats up quickly, and you can adjust the shot's length. It has an auto steam function which works quite well too.

Of course I've already spent more on accessories (tamper, leveller, naked pf) than the machine cost!

Comment

Originally posted by gonetroppo View Post

Yes for flat white
                      Well, typically I spend a 4-8 weeks overseas (at least until all this Covid stuff started), and take an Espresso Flair, OE Lido ET and just (gently) microwave milk or steam it on the hub. The Flair makes superb coffee once you work out what you are doing. You do need to be at a place where you can easily pre-heat the parts of the Flair though (I put them in a saucepan and pour boiling water on/through them).

Comment

I was spending 2 of every 4 or 5 weeks interstate until March. Have used a lot of portable espresso machines over the years - I currently favour Nanopresso for best trade off between quality, ease of use, weight/size. But I agree with above post. Flair has been a revelation. Now our main home coffee maker. Excellent coffee and I would say very forgiving of failure to precisely dial in grind or preheat fastidiously. My wife makes a great espresso and resists all my efforts to get her to be consistent in dosing or properly heat the parts. And I just put the piston in the brew chamber, invert and fill with just boiled water while I microwave the milk. Unless I feel particularly lazy, I fill with boiled water again once more before pulling the shot. Simple! I have the Lido 3. It's great to use... but can be tricky to dial in because the mechanism can take a bit of work to loosen. Should have got the ET.

Comment

Working...
                        X