Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing new member of the Bezzera Club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing new member of the Bezzera Club.

Would you believe it ,

I actually won an auction on evilbay for a Bezzera BZ35 ;D. So after a long, arduous (and frustrating at times) period of losing to other bidders, Im finally going to be the proud owner of a high quality HX machine.

Will be picking it up next week and then giving it a thorough inspection from top to toe to see what might need doing. At the very least, a thorough clean of all hot water circuits will be in order and then what ever else might turn up. Of course, this means that my Mokita will be up for sale in the near future (with or without PID Control) so will keep you posted .

Happy happy happy!!!

Mal.

Re: Announcing new member of the Bezzera Club.

Good on ya mate. After running with the Imat for so long, it may take a bit of getting used to with the whole HX bit.

Plumbed in I assume?

Comment

Hi Mal,

Further congrats and welcome to the club.

Id pull all the copper pipes out and descale in hot citric acid. Ditto with the boiler and HX unit. Getting the element and HX unit out can be problematic. I use the ratcheting air driver at Koffee-Tek. What seems impossible to shift will just unscrew. Its like magic. If you torque too hard on these parts there is a danger that you can distort the boiler or crack the joints.

I had a tough time sealing the HX unit, even with a new copper gasket. So I ended up using a silicone gasket compound (Selleys). Its worked well. The other option is Loktite High pressure pipe sealant (rated for potable water).

Once youve reconditioned the entire water path, youve basically got a new machine (apart from wear in the pump/auto fill circuit/solenoids and other minor and usually cheap parts).

My one mod that Id do to this machine would to replace the steam arm/valve assembly with a current BZ99/ BZ35 unit, as these units seem to have a fixed non-replaceable steam tip. The current BZ02 unit is ball jointed and costs about $70. Talk to Barazi.

With the rotary pump, you can simply run it from an external tank without a problem. I use a 5 l plastic cereal container and have added a 3/8 fitting near the bottom to connect to the pump. This is a great setup as you can always see the water level and top up when necessary. Of course plumbing in would be even nicer, but more expensive.

All in all it should be a brilliant machine. Thermosyphon group, 2 l boiler, rotary pump and boiler pressure gauge. All parts compatible with the current Bezzera lineup.

Good luck with the restoration.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1153577525/0#1 date=1153580085
        Good on ya mate. After running with the Imat for so long, it may take a bit of getting used to with the whole HX bit.
        Plumbed in I assume?
        Thanks nunu,

Yes, there will be a learning curve involved for sure, but this all part of the fun . I will probably plumb it in as the site planned for it is very close to the sink in the kitchen, so wouldnt be a big deal. Initially though, I think I will use the method recommended by Sparky as Im an impatient bugger at times :P,

Mal.

Originally posted by Sparky link=1153577525/0#2 date=1153618265
        Hi Mal,

Further congrats and welcome to the club.

With the rotary pump, you can simply run it from an external tank without a problem. I use a 5 l plastic cereal container and have added a 3/8 fitting near the bottom to connect to the pump. This is a great setup as you can always see the water level and top up when necessary. Of course plumbing in would be even nicer, but more expensive.

All in all it should be a brilliant machine. Thermosyphon group, 2 l boiler, rotary pump and boiler pressure gauge. All parts compatible with the current Bezzera lineup.

Good luck with the restoration.

Cheers,

Mark.
        Thanks Sparky,

Thats a very comprehensive list of recommended things to do and I will certainly be using this advice and contacting Barazi when I get to that stage of proceedings.

Out of interest, how do you have your water tank set up? Do you have it sitting on the fridge or some such thing with gravity feed to the suction of the pump with the BZ sitting on the bench? I wouldnt like to risk running the pump dry and since our fridge is right next to where the machine will be sited, it will make a good short term option until I get the plumbed-in option ready to go.

Must admit though, cant wait to get my clammy little mitts on the new addition :P... Will probably be driving up to Noosa on Tuesday or Wednesday to pick it up. Very exciting times indeed. Thanks again guys for the positive sentiment, much appreciated,

Cheers,
        Mal.

Comment

Congratulations Mal,

You have certainly acquired a machine with some pedigree there...

Safe drive up to Noosa!

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,

Youre not wrong about the pedigree, couldnt be better and a lot more than I ever realistically ever expected to own. Just need to match a suitable grinder to the BZ now, something along the lines of a Mazzer Mini or Macap M5.... when will it all end :? Lots of fun though ;D.

Yep, well have a safe, enjoyable drive up to Noosa.... havent been up that way for quite some time. As we live in Warwick, will probably go around the back way through Crows Nest, Esk and come out just before the Big Pineapple..... a nice scenic route 8-). Im on tenterhooks as we speak, cant wait to get the big BZ home now..... waiting, waiting . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

I simply have the reservoir sitting behind the machine on a table. Theres no need for gravity feed as a procon pump is both self priming and capable of drawing water from up to 2 m (beware, some rotary pumps may not be self priming, although Bezzera used Procon pumps in their machines).

A mate has his external tank sitting above his machine on a shelf next to his microwave. So its horses for courses.

I hope you take some piccies for us all to admire, once you get it.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1153577525/0#6 date=1153702931
                I simply have the reservoir sitting behind the machine on a table. Theres no need for gravity feed as a procon pump is both self priming and capable of drawing water from up to 2 m (beware, some rotary pumps may not be self priming, although Bezzera used Procon pumps in their machines).

A mate has his external tank sitting above his machine on a shelf next to his microwave. So its horses for courses.
                Sounds great Sparky.... What type of pump is the Procon by the way, sounds like a gear pump and not an eccentric vane type?

Originally posted by Sparky link=1153577525/0#6 date=1153702931
                I hope you take some piccies for us all to admire, once you get it.
                You bet [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Mal.

Comment

Procon is simply a US manufacturer. The pumps arent gear pumps, just rotary vane pumps. There seems to be some confusion on the matter with some manufacturers stating that rotary pumps need a positive pressure and arent self priming. The guys at Barazi have stated that you dont need positive pressure for these pumps to operate and just use a simple tank arrangement when demonstrating their machines. Procon also state on their site that their pumps are self priming and can lift up to 6ft of water.

Check out the procon web site: http://www.proconpumps.com/

The down side with these pumps is that they use the US standard NPT thread, so getting adaptors can be tricky here (given that the rest of the machine uses BSP or metric threads). Not that that will be a concern for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1153577525/0#8 date=1153718873
                    Procon is simply a US manufacturer.

Check out the procon web site: http://www.proconpumps.com/
                    Thanks mate, will do.

Originally posted by Sparky link=1153577525/0#8 date=1153718873
                    The down side with these pumps is that they use the US standard NPT thread
                    Youre not wrong, can be a pain at times but if I end up trying to do a mix-n-match fit-up of some kind have got a friend who doesnt mind helping me out with lathe work, so what ever I end up doing it wont be a big problem. Once again, thanks for your help with this Sparky,

Mal.

Comment

Well done Mal, another project hits the bench, and whats a bloke to do if he doesnt have his projects and his shed hehe???????

Regardz,
                      FC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1153577525/0#10 date=1153822231
                        Well done Mal, another project hits the bench, and whats a bloke to do if he doesnt have his projects and his shed hehe???????

Regardz,
                        FC.
                        Thank you Attilio,

And it is oh so true about the shed and projects... got to keep the ol brain ticking over and it helps to keep me out from "underfoot" if you know what I mean ;D,

Cheers Mate,
                        Mal.

Comment

Heres a pic of the little beast before I start to strip her down...

Mal.

Comment

Mmmmm.
                            Is it caked on gunk on the wand?
                            Or has the chrome been rubbed off?
                            Both?

Will it clean up? Or is it on the replacement part list?
                            A trifling mater Im sure.

Looks like a nice unit. I think youll have it humming in no time Mal.

Comment

Gday fb,

It appears to be a bit of both. Like you say though, its not a concern as Im going to replace the entire Steam Valve and Assembly with a current unit, as per Sparkys recommendation above. I can see why too, the original is very basic indeed. All up though, Im pretty happy with it and looking forward to the whole reconditioning exercise ,

Mal.

Heres the rest of the photos with the covers off and before a spanner is drawn :-

L/H Qtr Profile:
                              Top Front of Group:
                              Top Front of Pump & Motor:
                              Rear of Front Panel:
                              L/H View towards Pump:
                              R/H View towards P/Stat:
                              L/H Side View towards Pump:
                              Rear View towards Pump/Motor & Boiler:
                              R/H Side View towards Boiler and Motor:
                              R/H Side View Up towards Black Box:

Now, to start planning and then action ;D....

Comment

Working...
                              X