Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La San Marco 85/16M 3 Group 1992

Another extreme machine to introduce:

I couldnt resist this for $207.50. Now, all we need to do is build a house that will fit this!

The LSM Logo:

The Machine:

Her Boiler:

And a little more:

Re: La San Marco 85/16M 3 Group 1992

Wow, Dennis.

Youve outdone us all. You should have your own sub-catagory of mega extreme.

Three groups -- youre half way to opening up your dream cafe.

Tell us more. All the specs, intentions, details please. Why so cheap? Sounds like an extreme bargain.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1175511560/0#1 date=1175513709
      Wow, Dennis.

Youve outdone us all. You should have your own sub-catagory of mega extreme.
      --Robusto
      Got to agree with that - well done Dennis...

But mega extreme - that would be a 4 group Synesso installed at home......

That would be fantastic - well in my dreams, but there are 10s of thousands of reasons (not to mention 1 wife) why it wont happen to me ;D ;D

Comment

Thanks Robusto.

I came across this at the place whose name shall not be mentioned. The guy who owned it is an electrician and got her from a cafe in oxford st about a year ago. Its been sitting on his kitchen bench ever since and he said he has used it about once a month since then - plugging it into the 15amp (the plug is showing signs of melting).

Anyway, he said he just wanted to get rid of clutter. I bought it without inspecting it first and couldnt believe my eyes this evening when I took the cup-warming tray off. After some of the pics Ive seen on CS, this seemed to look new inside. I couldnt get it out of there fast enough! Funny thing is, the guy I bought this from has offered to buy the bike I havent started to restore. If I accept his offer the LSM will have cost me $100 to date.

Build date is 22/10/1992 and pulls a massive 5000watts. I think the boiler capacitty is 19litres and the whole unit weighs oooh, maybe 80kilos.

Ill need a lot of help from you guys to restore her. As mentioned earlier, there is no way she will fit in our kitchen, and the giotto looks so good there anyway. We live in a rahter large townhouse and fortunate enought to have a storeroom/workshop downstairs that is almost the size of a single garage. Eventually, I think she (have to give hre a name) will probably live there...and I think Ill be spending a lot more time there too.

Oh, and heres the best bit - its made in Italy!

Comment

Well, for that price you just got to have her. Even for looking at and nothing more if it came to that.

5kv. That is serious: 20+ amps. I dont suppose you have 3-phase power to your storeroom? Might be worth considering on the presumption LSM can take it.

Perhaps you can do what Sparky did to his La Pavona, and run only part of the element to cut down on current draw. If so, at least you may be able to give her a test run without rewiring your house to nuclear auxiliary.

Otherwise, at the very least youll need a dedicated 240V 20-amp line back to your meter box.

As you say, the under the bonnet condition looks pretty good -- maybe youll get away with just a good scrub and one or two minor part replacements. Fingers crossed.

--Robusto

Comment

Wow 5000watts.... i think you will be paying some big electricity bills if you run it 24/7 without insulation. And what a bargin!
            So i would say 3group normal is mega extreme machine for this machine
            Now.. As for mega extreme i think 1group cyncra or LM would be in that catorgory... 4group and that is the super mega machines. All you need is $16K and youll be there

Comment

Hmmm thats a biggie. I may not have mentioned, but I have a 3 gr Bezzera in my workshop as well. I think extreme is well warranted if you actually fire the thing up and run it for home use. Better get yourself a 20 A plug as well.

The Pav is actually rated at 4.5 kW, but Im running only two of the three elements to reduce it to a more manageable 3 kW.

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1175511560/0#5 date=1175516106
                Now.. As for mega extreme i think 1group cyncra or LM would be in that catorgory... 4group and that is the super mega machines. All you need is $16K and youll be there
                Dennis could probably pull off another mega bargain deal and get it for a second-hand watch, throw in some of his entertainment, and $350 cash. ;D ;D

--Robusto

Comment

I would have paid almost that much just for the badge.

Distance from storeroom to meter room is only 10metres or so and very do-able...might even be able to run it back to someone elses meter! (I am of course joking!!)

Comment

(Dont you just hate it when the posts come up out of sequence --viz a viz mentions of Sparkys re-wired element)

--Robusto

Comment

Dennis, maybe you could give the ex-owner electrician a couple of dollars more to do the wiring.

--Robusto

Comment

No worries - Ill probably end up printing all the posts as I go along my little journey.

Comment

I have a friend who is a sparky

Comment

Very clean looking inside.
                            A definite bargain Dennis.
                            I cant invite you around for coffee now, Ill have to drop hints for you to invite me.

Comment

Dennis,

It is almost certainly a 3 element 1600W per element machine.....

Except for the 1 hour or so walm up you could probably run just one element (on 10 A supply or two 3200W on a 15 A supply (thats the "standard" element configuration on my La Cimbali - 4000W in total - for single phase power) - takes about 35-40 minutes to walm up.... I wired mine for MAX power so 20A run!

Or You will need a 25 A run (to allow for surges etc) if you intend to run all 3 elements....... in which case warm up will be about 20 minutes. - and there is always 3 phase if you have it available.

Warm up is time for the boiler to get to pressure...... Mine takes about 20+ more minutes for everything to stabilise before making espressos.

Looks to be in great condition as well. Good buy!.

Comment

Working...
                              X