FAEMA 2 GROUP - value at about $350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAEMA 2 GROUP - value at about $350

Hi all...I am going to see a machine tomorrow that is running and all I know is that it is about 5 years old and otherwise is a FAEMA 2 group.

Can anyone who knows these machines give me some hints about values, parts availability, whether they are good machines generally etc. I know Im not giving you much detail, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Re: FAEMA 2 GROUP - value at about $350

ozscott...

Mmmmm

Faema 2 group,
    5 years old
    Running
    $350?????

What the?????? That doesnt add up!! It would be quite a bargain if that is all correct.....

Unfortunately other than it appearing to work OK (brew pressure 9 bars and steady whilst extracting, plenty of steam and boiler cycles about +- 0.1 Bar around the set point, no obvious leaks etc) there is not that much you can determine before you strip it down..... but a 5 year old machine should be in good condition (if serviced regularly)

Comment

Thanks JavaB - I have a mate who has a mate who sold his business (not coffee) and he used it fairly regularly, but not sure if it has been serviced or not...he is selling stuff off very cheaply and not just this machine. I arranged a cheap air-conditioner for him a while back to hes being very nice about this and other stuff for cash...I can heat it up and pull a few shots and see how it steams...apart from that I guess that apart from watching for leaks I cannot do to much.

Is it somthing that would work in a home kitchen...it would need to be plumbed I assume. Is the heat up time, maintenance etc somthing that militates against using it as such? Are parts expensive? If it has not been properly serviced or at all is it a timebomb waiting to explode with the need for new boiler, valves, pump etc?

Thanks very much

Comment

CoffeeParts carry an extensive range of Faema spares (which is the first thing I consider when looking at S/H commercials).... their prices are good and service excellent.....

To get value from a commercial machine you really need to be able / willing to do maintenance yourself.... not difficult if you know how to use tools and know a bit about plumbing and electricals. They are intrinsically very reliable but if operated on tap water (without a filter) could have a lot of scale in the boiler and heat exchanger requiring a strip, descale and rebuild (which Id recommend when you get one in any case.... and then you will have years of trouble free service.

They are big, require to be plumbed in to mains and a drain - although some models (check if it has a procon pump) can draw water from a water reservoir and you can drain into a bucket....

They need lots of power (probably at least 15 Amps (mine requires 20 Amps) so a special power run is required.... the other option is to reduce the heater power..... takes longer to heat up and recover from steaming.... but will then run off 10 Amps (normal outlet). And 1 hour heat up before use (on full power) - works out just as cheap (expensive!!) to leave it on 24/7...

Commercials are very reliable units, very well built, large and fairly expensive to run.... but great coffee and heaps of Ooooo Ahhhhh from friends. : :

Comment

thanks JavaB - very informative summary.

Cheers

Comment

Ozscott,

Probably you will be able to get the parts from Pedro (coffeeparts). I f you can use the machine before you buy it that is great.

Advice, open your hot water and take a glass of hot water out of it, this will tell you if the boiler is contaminated or not, if the boiler is contaminated that is a 600 to 800 dollars job, by a qualified technition.

Valves, shower screems, seals that is easy to do.

Good luck

Regards

Renzo

Comment

Bloody Hell! Thanks for that Renzo...I am waivering already without even seeing it. If it hasnt been serviced/decscaled properly then it may be that the boiler tests of with a glass of hot water, but starts being dodgy in the next few years. Given the cost of a brand new Giotto or Expobar it starts to look less attractive!!

Cheers

Comment

Yep, as I said, you have to be willing and able to do the work on a Commercial machine yourself....

Pop over to the "Extreme Machine" thread and you will get an idea what we do when we get one of these - basically most of us do a full strip and rebuild (Mal is still completing his)

Its time consuming but parts arent hard to get or expensive.... however if you get someone else to do the work for you - their time is lots of $$$$$$$....

These machines definitely arent for everyone.... A Giotto like solution would work out a far more cost effective short term and long term solution for those who havent the time and or knowledge.

Comment

Do It!
                  Once in a life time opportunity,
                  easy to resell here [CS] for that price.
                  "heaps of Ooooo Ahhhhh from friends."
                  Cheaper than what youd get for the 6910
                  See full exploded view on Coffeeparts

Otherwise: bock bock bock bock [noise of chicken]

or:
                  buy it and sell it here [Dennis needs another extreme machine!]

Comment

thanks all....yep chicken sounds are coming from my house at present...having said that I spend enough time of boats and Land Rovers amongst other things to keep me poor and excited!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1181202738/0#7 date=1181207632
                      basically most of us do a full strip and rebuild (Mal is still completing his)
                      More of an issue with cash flow for me rather than the amount and/or type of work that needs to be done .... not long now though

Nothing that I could add to what the other guys have already said... its really a confidence issue more than anything else. If you think you can do the work that may be needed which will be at least a Boiler/HX descale and clean out and as Renzo says, if the boilers been contaminated with milk drawback, then this clean-up effort will have to be particularly strenuous and thorough. This would probably translate to all downstream pipework and fittings too.

Having said all that though, at only $350.00 the worst that could probably happen is that you open the machine up and then decide its just all too much. Just put all the covers back on and turn the machine around either here or on evilbay and get your money back. No skin off your nose and the best that could happen is that you may decide that the Faema is worth tackling and that youre up to the task. Theres lots of us here who have completed or are still in the throws thereof so lots of willing helpers are on tap to help you out with any issues that may crop up. At the end of this, you may well have a machine that is the envy of all wannabe home baristi. If the Boiler water taste test is not too bad, then maybe its worth having a go??

Mal.

Comment

Thanks very much for that Mal - will have a look today!

Comment

If the machine hasnt been used in a while the boiler water may be very stale and need to be flushed out for it to taste right.

Java "Keeping it well flushed!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Or, in the case of my establishment, poor technique by the PBTC. They never purge the steam wand. So now the steam and boiler water has milk taint. I only pull espressi from it, so Im not affected.

It also doesnt have in-line filtration/water softening. The group head seals need replacement etc.

Depending on not only volume of use, but technique/cleaning regimen, you might be picking up something that will end up costing double what you paid for it, just to get it into "satisfactory" condition.

Comment

OK - here is the photo - need to get it or not today because it will be up for sale tomorrow. 12 years old. Serviced somtimes. Not a lot of use, but kept on as the service fellow told them to. Initially the hot water purged with some specs in it and then it cleaned up to no problems. It pulled a coffee with the guage at 11 bar. The steam is massive.

??????

S

Comment

Working...
                              X