La Marzocco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Marzocco

Did anyone see the LM that went on ebay tonight? It looked like an old GS1 2 group maybe. Wondering if a CSer picked it up for a restoration?

Re: La Marzocco

Yep, I bid a few hundred bucks just for sport. It ended up going for something like 2K, which was impressive! It was quite a unique machine; according to the LM 80th anniversary book, they did a limited number of GS1s that had the extraction controlled by timers, before volumetric controls were available. Ill check and see if the book lists the production run; there wont have been many made.

Comment

lol I bid a bit more then that for kicks. I had my heart in my mouth when I almost won. and my fiance telling me that If I did the wedding was off. :P

Comment

That machine was listed for quite a long time....definitely worth something restoring!!!

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1182951021/0#0 date=1182951021
          Did anyone see the LM that went on ebay tonight? It looked like an old GS1 2 group maybe. Wondering if a CSer picked it up for a restoration?
          Hi,

I bid a grand, then decided Id go up to $1700 if I had to to get it........tell im hes dreaming!

I hope that the high bidder surfaces somewhere with some info about what hes up to with it; it would be a fun restoration, just expensive!

Regards,
          Phil

Comment

I was watching it before bean bay. It ended about 10 min before the start. I was surprised. I estimated 3K with another 2K for the restoration.
            At 2K, that was a very good price. Im sure it will take a bit of effort to restore though.... but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1182951021/0#2 date=1182952578
              l and my fiance telling me that If I did the wedding was off.  :P
              lol, thats the exact same response I got when I suggested bidding on it!

I contemplated telling her that the GS would be cheaper than a wedding...but thought better of it. :-X

Comment

I bid up to 16 or 1,700(cant remember last bid!!!)

My restoration man said leave it after that probably because he knew how much he would charge

to repair it,and what I could get with the same amount of $$.

Still, if I was more handy at 2k self restore would have been a great option good luck whoever you are.

Comment

A proper restore (ala. Paul Pratt) would be difficult. However, getting the machine into some form of working spec probably wouldnt have been too difficult and maybe not too expensive (maybe 2-3K at most). So all up Id estiamte a working LM-based machine for say $5k or less(including PID temperature control of the brew boiler). It would have been a fun project.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1182951021/0#8 date=1183532418
                    A proper restore (ala. Paul Pratt) would be difficult. However, getting the machine into some form of working spec probably wouldnt have been too difficult and maybe not too expensive (maybe 2-3K at most). So all up Id estiamte a working LM-based machine for say $5k or less(including PID temperature control of the brew boiler). It would have been a fun project.

Cheers,

Mark.
                    that would be a worst case scenario. It needed a cleanup but who knows, it could have just needed a new pump or had a busted thermostat.

Comment

that machine look old and uncared for....a proper restore would be well worth the effort.

these were the first saturated groups by lm to come out?

full descale and replacement of all seals etc would be in order.

Comment

Hi everyone
                        I am the person who bought the GS so hopefully in the not to distant future you will see it fully restored to its former glory

Comment

Good stuff retroman,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and well all be looking forward to your resto of the fabulous GS,

Mal.

Comment

8-) so whats the plans for it? extravagant home machine? or for a cafe? Any info on the condition of it?

Comment

The machine was as I expected, not very good at all, though it is a rare machine and worthy of a full restoration. It will receive a PID system to bring it up to modern specs, so hopefully when it is finished it will perform as good as a modern Linea with the old world charm.

Comment

Working...
                              X