Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLYMPIA ESPRESS

Hello,

I have come into possession of the above machine, it looks to me good enough to restore, thought id start here for info, any suggestions?

Re: OLYMPIA ESPRESS

Turn it on to see if it works; take lots of photos from all angles; take more photos at each step of disassembly, including close ups, then post the pics here.  Does this unit usually come with a PF?

Oh, and reconsider the value...$3k+ ???

ps. I think its spelt Olimpia

Comment

Will get more photos for you, it is spelt both Olimpia on the front, and Olympia on the side emamel & Compliance plate.

By the way, what does PF mean?

Comment

PF = portafilter...a handle with basket attachment that holds the ground coffee.

Comment

I call it a GH (group handle) yes it has

Comment

Hello Excalibur,

The first thing that I would do is to take a look at the compliance plate on it to work out how old it is. I know that Olympia used asbestos to insulate its boilers for quite a while, so if it were me my first step would be to get a professional to get rid of it for me.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Its pretty old, so i think it has asbestos insulation. Compliance plate is as follows:

N. 4009 M. 06 C1
              V. 2*380N*T W. 2000
              V. 220 W. 8

I dont know how you can work out the date from the above, it looks 1950 ish, but I cant be sure

Comment

Id so love to get my paws and spanners onto this lil beasty

Comment

So do you think its worth doing up, im in two minds to do it up or sell it, would it make a good coffee if restored, or just nostalgic value?

Comment

No idea, I just like restoring things, from bikes to coffee machines

Comment

Olympia has a great reputation for lever machines. This would be priceless to the lever community. Its definitely worth restoring, or else look at an international auction.

BTW: The external condition looks great for a machine of its age... in fact any age for aused machine. The internals should be pretty simple as well. Just the pain of asbestos removal.

If you choose to restore, itll be a nice project and probably a great machine once you learn how to use it.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Excalibur link=1187840017/0#8 date=1187927966
                        So do you think its worth doing up, im in two minds to do it up or sell it, would it make a good coffee if restored, or just nostalgic value?
                        These old lever machines are quite simple internally but getting parts for them is not a just matter of ordering them. If you like messing with old machinery and you like coffee they are about perfect. There is no reason it would not make a perfectly reasonable cup.

It looks more recent than 1950 to me, but that is just based on the external style and being able to see the rest of the bodywork would help. Some more pictures would be nice and if you decide to get rid of it there is a bunch of people (including me) who would would take it off your hands.

Comment

drool slobber
                          another machine hmmmmmm

Comment

Hello. im a bit late after the fact but im a new member and have a very similiar machine
                            except with 2 levers just wounded what you found out about your machine???

Comment

Hi guys,

I just came across the same machine as above. It needs some restauration but the first impression is not that bad. Are there any other owners of such an olimpia in and would they be willing to share your experience with it ?

Last edited by Javaphile; 9 August 2014, 09:19 AM. Reason: Fix Link(s)

Comment

Working...
                              X