X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thing is going to burn my great beans"I KNOW"

Well folks it has FINALLY happened!!!!1one
    We have HX
    My "partner" a far more genuine CS than I, used to work in this lil cafe they had this machine that made great coffee, this was all in the distant past.
    We have been looking for some time and PMing the brethren here for clue on "prospects", all these prospects were weighed up against the "old Baby" she used to use. Finally 2 weeks ago at the sorry end of an evilbay fight I said "will you just call those people and at least find out what the heck we are comparing everything too?" the call was made and yes they could tell us what it was because "ITS IN THE GARAGE"......ZOMG...." ok well if its.....there... do you think you might ......sell it?"...yes $50 will see it yours..and by the way the 2 group machine we replaced this with never made as good a cup, we wish we could use it here but we cant"..... As a result of this...WE HAVE IT.

What is it I hear you ask? ancient external pump Boema...I can just hear "fresh Coffee" saying "its a coffee burner" But my view is this and I really believe this "if it made good coffee once, there is no good reason why it cant again."

it has fitted a timer (which we believe was fitted later but unsure) Judging from the wiring diagrams this can be bypassed.
    The Boiler in this thing is bigger than most steam trains.

Its the worst time of year to get parts I know but Ill leave messages @ Boema and see what happens

The motor and pump are now working, the plate at the back of the pump was badly pitted so replaced it with some 316 SS 2mm plate (hell of a time getting the C clip off, it broke into 4 bits) but now she works a treat..no leaks there even under back-pressure.

anyhow pictures will follow....need some advice though please.

Id like to fire it up but Im afraid of cooking the elements. Does the RL40ES look after the "zero water in boiler" status and not allow power to the elements before the water level sensor reads water?

This being OK is there anything else to worry about before the juice is applied?

I know I need patience But i want it NOW!

PS. someone tell me this is not going to burn coffee

Re: This thing is going to burn my great beans"I K

Great stuff snooooze,

Cant wait to read your progress reports and of course, those photos..... ;D

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Comment

Nice work, and what a bargain! I must say Im no fan of the Boema aesthetics which is a shame, but at least it sounds as though they can make good coffee. Im not a HX expert but I believe you can adjust the pressure without too much difficulty, which in turn should have an effect on temperature.

Greg

Comment

Congratulations Snooooze. Should be great fun exploring the machine. Id try to get a manual from Boema, but in the absence of one, obviously make sure the boiler is filled with the right amount of water before firing it up.

It wont hurt to thoroughly flush the boiler and heat exchanger to eliminate stale tastes, plus a good backflush with coffee cleaner.

Comment

thanks guys

I guess I can take out the water probe and manually fill the boiler, replace the probe and connect the water......then flick the big switch.

hoping that it will not go...... spft

Comment

OK photo time

Comment

Comment

3.....but I guess you can count

Comment

4. Auto Fill switch that does work...Ill post todays efforts at the end. Notice the Blue tac securing this in place.

Comment

5. This was yesterdays effort new pump plate

Comment

ok Today.

We needed to fire her up and see what we needed to buy in the way of seals/elements/switches/valves/more thread tape

I was unsure of auto fill (or in fact manual fill) so we pulled out the relief valve and watering canned in water, closely watching the sight glass.....nothing happened! took the lower pipe off, no water came out of the boiler...poked a small screw driver threw the hole and wiggled it (through the scale) then we had water...few leaks easily fixed on the sight glass. What do we do now? plugged in the power and water to the pump. plugged the 3 pin plug into the lead....flick the switch....watch listen..... front element light came on. Top pipe on the sight glass started to hiss, nipped that up and stopped it....boiler started to make that "electric kettle noise" pressure gauge started to climb. 140 kpa the pressure stat clicked off light went out. opened the steam valve ...hiss splutter Steam, OMG this thing produces SOME STEAM. Opened the Hot water tap out came hot water...very hot water, closed it and it stopped rather well. OK pluck up the courage...hit the brew switch and pump sprung into life and in a few seconds water started to fall from the group. Time for some back flushing...3 lots of "special back flush stuff we had" no one can remember what it was exactly then a few goes with Citric acid then flush a few "hundred"times then replace the screen.

Grind some beans slightly aged and pull her first single shot ..oh dear...hope we can better that. It was washed out and watery and the puck, well there was no puck really just a washy mess. Tried a few more shots with different grinder settings, got some slightly better shots but nothing even remotely right...damn. ok try some better beans. CS brown bay WOW to the rescue, slightly finer than Id grind them for the Pav lever, and GOD SHOT...unbelievable we all nosed it to test for that tell-tail burnt smell, not a trace. I tasted it, it was not bad equal to the pav. Time to go for a run at a double and same result. I cant really believe that a machine can sit unused for 10 years and perform like this. Those first beans we tried are now in the bin where they belong.

Tomorrow we are going to clean the outside of the boiler and heat shields. I think for now we are going to use it. I prolly should take the boiler down and descale seeing as how easy it is to get apart, But Ill wait for the season to end and people to get back to work and get a group seal tank gasket and a few other bits and pull it down then

The timer is not flauless and I still think we will either disconnect it or just not use it.

Does anyone know if the panels are painted (great paint, bad colour) or are they powder coated? Id think the powder coating system may have been around when this machine was built, but it would have been young I rekon..

Comment

Wow thats a top story Snoooze - the rewards of patience eh!

Congrats

If youre like me, youll keep sneaking back to the Pav every now and again - even if just to taste the difference with the same bean and the same grind!

Comment

Yes agreed SlowDown used the pav this morning it does give nice coffee...just in bite sizes.....away to the bat mobile and the acid brush and trickling water Robin we have grunge to strip

Comment

Bad news

Yesterdays cleaning job went very well the boiler looks like (almost) new as does the pipework and panels it looks heaps better than when we picked it up....However

We decided to fire her up for afternoon coffee yesterday and on applying the power there was this almighty bang and the outside of the element blew....maybe residual moisture but it was in the sun for 6 hours...anyway bit of a damper on the whole thing and especially today but I have orders a new one and some other parts so...we wait a while now.

Pete

Comment

Its just not a good time of year to be doing this!! :

I got onto Boema (great people to deal with) they said a 2400watt element should fit so I got the measurements and the guy at Boema measured one he picked up out of the 2400 watt bin and it was the same measurement as the old one. He then explained there could be one much closer then he is and I gave the guy a call...yes he had one and we could come and pick it up. We set off on our adventure 90km drive (I took the old element) when we got there the 2400 was too long and he didnt have the 2000 watt one . I called Boema he went back and looked and it was a single 2000 watt element in with the 2400 watt ones and thats the one he picked up to measure...ahhhh

So we thought up some other things to order (save the freight later) new group seal and anti vac valve and a 2 0 0 0 watt element our good friend at Boema made sure it got to the post in time for it to arrive today Friday (I need to go back to work on Monday so I would love to get the machine off the workshop bench and into the kitchen. The post office had the bag at 9 AM and headed up to the machine.

Unpacking the contents of the bag we had received a 2400 watt element....DOH!!! its about 25mm too long ugghh

Re-looking at the Original element its a double one so there are 2 lots of terminals and 2 loops of elements, being 2000 watt element each loop is 1000 watt. We decided to replace the old element and run it at 1/2 power.

Ill post some interesting facts soon..have to go see how she is going.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X