Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great looking machine for frequent home use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great looking machine for frequent home use?

Hey CS!

Im Justin, and Im a Coffee addict...

Ive always liked the idea of having a large commercial machine on the bench that makes a great cup of coffee, hence I have been lurking here for a long time.

At present I do like a hand-full of machines, however, I have no idea of the price tag that is attached, or their respective performance!

With the huge amount of choice out there it is difficult to make a decision, however, I love the look of the following machines and think they will have an awesome impact in the Kitchen...They will also feed my gargantuan caffine addiction!

They are the:
    Veneziano A2
    La Vibiemme Replica Electronica/Cube
    Kees van der Westen Mirage Duette
    La Marzocco Linea

Thanks in advance!
    Justin.

Re: Great looking machine for frequent home use?

Thanks in advance?!? :-? :-/

Java "Whats the question?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Which machine should I buy??

Comment

Wowie, thats an open-ended question if ever I saw one. Perhaps if I break down some considerations it might help?

*What do you hope to gain from having a commercial machine?

Many of these machines are available as a single group machine, rather than a two group or a three group. Then there are still other machines that might well do the job that you want at a much lower price and with a smaller footprint and power draw.

*How much are you willing to spend?

Many of the multi-group commercial machines run at $10,000 plus.

*Why not the GB5 and FB80?

These machines are LMs latest commercial machines, and basically render the Linea obsolete.

*Is the machine going to be against a wall?

The Veneziano has a back-lit glass panel and Kees machines look pretty sensational from the customer side, too. The VBM machine and the Linea dont have as much going on from the customer side.

*What sort of timeframe are you looking to get the machine in?

The importers usually keep stock of the ECM, VBM and LM machines. If they dont have the options that you want, you will have to wait for them to be shipped from Italy. The thing that springs to mind is ordering a machine with a manual control as opposed to a volumetric dosing keypad. I dont think that anyone keeps Kees machines in stock because there are so many different options to choose from. In that case, you will definitely have some waiting time as the machine is built and shipped.

*What sort of characteristics are you looking for from the espresso that these machines produce?

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Have you thought about a grinder?

Comment

And not to forget the LM GS3 due to be released sometime this year @ around $8.5K?

b4b.

ps. nice one Java!

Comment

Originally posted by beanz4brainz link=1201442516/0#5 date=1201497676
              And not to forget the LM GS3 due to be released sometime this year @ around $8.5K?
              The LM GS3 has been available for quite some time ... at least three or four months, IIRC. I think that it is going for about $1.5k less than that. No doubt in my mind that it is a much better suited machine to home use than a multiple group commercial machine, but that seems to be what the OP wants. If were talking about the GS3 and single group machines, there are probably a gagillion other machines that should be looked at, too.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Contact your local commercial coffee machine supplier/service agent, you know the people that go around servicing cafes pubs etc and get a single group commercial machine off them. Too small for cafes, too big for Jane average at home, perfect for us. I got my 2 Carimali Unos (does that make it duo) that way. Not the prettiest machines but they kick butt when it comes to brewing up a storm in a tea cup!

Comment

Thanks for the reponses! I know the GS3 would fit my needs, but its not the greatest looking machine and its a bit small for the bench!

Sadly, the machine is going to face the wall, do you guys think Ill lose alot of the impact of the kees?

I know it sounds strange to put a two group commercial machine in a home, but its more of a statement product I think!

As far as a grinder, a nice mazzer?

Is there much of a second hand market for the LMs? The retail is a touch about budget...

Comment

Oh, and the machine is being installed in june/july of this year...Im just getting into coffee, no idea of the expresso of which i desire!

Comment

I know it sounds strange to put a two group commercial machine in a home
                      Not here it doesnt.

expresso
                      espresso

Comment

the espresso of which you desire is what is described here and elsewhere as the God shot....

Comment

Originally posted by justing link=1201442516/0#8 date=1201506140
                          Sadly, the machine is going to face the wall, do you guys think Ill lose alot of the impact of the kees?
                          Be a shame to spend all that money on a Kees and then only be able to appreciate it in 2D.

Originally posted by justing link=1201442516/0#8 date=1201506140
                          Is there much of a second hand market for the LMs? The retail is a touch about budget...
                          If you just meant that new LMs are a tad above your budget, then a Kees isnt going to make it to your place any time soon! The market for S/H LMs is nearly non existant, as I understand it, but I may stand corrected. Maybe your best bet would be to pick something up S/H from a dealer, as traded etc.

b4b.

ps. Luca, thanks for the update on GS3 in Oz. Its back to the drawing board for me. ;D

Comment

I was thinking 5-10k all in?

Comment

This http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1182951021/75may still be available

Comment

Working...
                              X