brew temp adjustment on cimbali jr d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brew temp adjustment on cimbali jr d

can someone advise me on this? ive got the pressure stat set at 1.2 bar right now. water coming out of the portafilter is only 82C after cooling flush. shouldnt i be closer to 93-96C ? ive set the pressure stat up as high as 1.6 bar with little change.
    it seems to be consistent at about 82C regardless of how its set. i will admit im using a somewhat primitive thermometer but i have several and they all read the same. any help would be appreciated.

Re: brew temp adjustment on cimbali jr d

Are you giving the temperature time to recover after the cooling flush? I have a dual boiler, but my understanding of the HX cooling flush is that you do it, then wait 10-30 seconds or so (depending on the machine) for the temperature to recover before starting the shot.

Comment

its probably the testing...sticking a thermometer under it is not going to work. You need a proper testing PF. Probably the closest to that would be to dose and tamp and then stick in a K type wire to a thermocouple that allows you to lock the PF in place like normal, lock it in and pull a shot and see how the temp goes.

Cheers

Comment

ozscott is on the money...

The temperature of water in a HX is dependent on the water flow rate - and that is reduced by the puck.....

So an open PF will allow a much higher flow rate = lower temperature.

You either have to buy a special PF - which has a built in thermocouple and a flow adjuster (read VERY expensive) or put a small bead type thermocouple into a packed PF (on top of the puck).....

Just measuring open water flow temperature is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1207251914/0#3 date=1207263413
          ozscott is on the money...

The temperature of water in a HX is dependent on the water flow rate - and that is reduced by the puck.....

So an open PF will allow a much higher flow rate = lower temperature.

You either have to buy a special PF (which has a built in thermocouple and a flow adjuster (read VERY expensive) or put a small bead type thermocouple into a packed PF (on top of the puck).....

Just measuring open water flow temperature is meaningless.
          ok thanks. i think im being a bit too anal. i just want to get all i can out of my machine. the espresso im pulling out of it tastes good so i think ill leave it at that

Comment

Also be sure to allow your machine to fully warm up. A good rule of thumb is that Cimbalis should be on for a good hour before being used with some saying they need to be on for at least an hour and a half.

The cooling/shot regimen that I use is: (shower dance plus 5 seconds flush) weigh and grind the beans (shower dance plus 3 seconds flush) fill and tamp the basket (pull the shot). Note: Portafilter is removed during flushes.

The exact regimen thats right for you and your equipment only you can determine. With lots and lots of playing with it all! ;D ;D

Java "Having fun" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
            X