Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best commercial espresso machine

Hi Guys

Seen lots of new machines on the market and just wondering whats the best one out there?

Must look great, have excellent features, 3 or 4 group and make awesome coffee.

Price should be reasonable and reliability paramount.

Your thought appreciated
    Thank you

Re: best commercial espresso machine

welcome...should get some interesting responses

Comment

Originally posted by melb44 link=1209467524/0#0 date=1209467524
      Hi Guys

Seen lots of new machines on the market and just wondering whats the best one out there?

Must look great, have excellent features, 3 or 4 group and make awesome coffee.

Price should be reasonable and reliability paramount.

Your thought appreciated
      Thank you
      IMHO, asking what is the "best" is often unhelpful. Im pretty sure that when it comes to what most people would call the "best" of anything you will pay something like an order of magnitude more than you would for something that is probably 98% as good. Coffee is no exception; Id think that most people would think that something like Meccas new Mistral is the "best" (see photo). But dont ask what something like that would cost unless youre happy to spend more on an espresso machine than a car ;P

You might get more useful responses if you provided us with a bit more information about what it is that youre actually after. What is your budget? Does the machine need to be easy to use, or does it need to be able to get the best out of the coffee? Are you going to be using it at home or in a cafe? If you are using it in a cafe, what sort of coffee are you going to use with it and what flavour profile do you expect to get out of it? Where are you located - who is going to service the machine? How do you rank the importance of each of the various factors?

Personally, I think that the La Marzocco GB5 EE is pretty hard to beat, but Im sure that others will differ. Fit and finish are top-notch, the guts are easy to get to service, it is well laid-out from the baristas pov and it can be tweaked to basically do whatever you want with the coffee. Synesso is also pretty good. Those are both multiple-boiler machines. When it comes to heat exchanger machines for cafes, WEGA sets the standard for price, durability and quality, but there are heaps and heaps of other brands on the market. I like the BFC machines that we are importing at work. Whichever you choose, the machine doesnt make great coffee - it merely facilitates the barista to do so.

Even when you come to commercial machines, grinders are still really the most important part of the package. Here, its a little bit easier. IMHO, the Mazzer Robur is the king of the hill and there arent really many contenders.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Luca, I was going to say this last night...but forgot...Youre just a Mazzer fan boy!

Comment

THe size, appearance, price etc of a machine means nothing.

Some people may say it does, but in my experience, it doesnt.

I recently used La Cimbalis M39 Dosatron, and i can honestly say the crappy 2 Group Boema that im working on at the moment can make, and has made, as good a coffee.

Temperature stability is a huge selling point with alot of newer machines. This is all well and good if you have no idea what youre doing, but frankly, if you dont know what youre doing you should be behind any machine.

Comment

Theres plenty of machines out there that can make killer coffees. Whats your budget....most decent 3 groups are around 8 grand and up.....and if youre looking at the likes of Synesso or LM, better whip out the credit card....these puppies go for $15,000 plus

Comment

If money is no object, then there are plenty of choices. However, every penny saved helps, so something that gives the best value for money might be a better option.

Comment

I recently used La Cimbalis M39 Dosatron, and i can honestly say the crappy 2 Group Boema that im working on at the moment can make, and has made, as good a coffee.
                possibly true but the cimbali will be around when the boema is in the tip

graham

Comment

Originally posted by fix link=1209467524/0#7 date=1209511297
                  possibly true but the cimbali will be around when the boema is in the tip

graham
                  What makes you say that? :-?

Im not a huge Boema fan, but they are just as repairable as the Chumblys are :

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

The machine would be around the 12k mark and yes its for a cafe doing around 50kg of coffee a week. The machine must be stable when under volume pressure and be a 3 or 4 group.

I do like the look of a LM but is there anything else?

I recently spoke to someone who used a Prestige and said it had great features and worked very well.

I have been using a conical blade grinder as any other grinder overheats when its busy. Any grinder suggestions?

Comment

Hi melb44 and welcome to CS.

There is always something else!  It may not be as glam as the LM but the Bezzera Ellisse is a work horse, still IMO a good looking machine, and is available as per your specs.

See here...

http://barazi.com.au/content/view/46/129/

I havent used the Robur, but from all reports, would concur with Luca re this choice of grinder.

[edit]Something else to consider...of the machines mentioned in this thread, I would suggest that its possibly cheaper and quicker to obtain spare parts/repairs for the Bez. A local I know has a Synesso that cripples his business whenever it needs work. [/edit]

Comment

hi short black

What makes you say that?

Im not a huge Boema fan, but they are just as repairable as the Chumblys are
                        the cimbali and many other european machines will still have most of the original parts (pipework, steam/ hotwater valves etc)after 20 years

the boema has a problem with cheap pipe work, flared pipe ends, low quality brass in steam valves.
                        it is not uncommon to replace both steam valves in a boema in the first 18 mths, and the pipe work to the valves in 10years

the cimbali and a lot of other european machines have sweated pipe ends, quality seats in the valves etc, if leaks occur you are able to remove said pipe, clean joints and refit

no i dont just put shit on boemas, but they dont have the engineering quality of the cimbali.
                        dont get me wrong cimbalis can be absolute shits to work on

Comment

Graham - I noticed when I changed my pressurstat on my FEAMA Due A the other day that the steam pipe end was not simply a flared end...very nice and solid.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by fix link=1209467524/0#11 date=1209541358
                            hi short black

What makes you say that?  

Im not a huge Boema fan, but they are just as repairable as the Chumblys are  
                            the cimbali and many other european machines will still have most of the original parts (pipework, steam/ hotwater valves etc)after 20 years

the boema has a problem with cheap pipe work, flared pipe ends, low quality brass in steam valves.
                            it is not uncommon to replace both steam valves in a boema in the first 18 mths, and the pipe work to the valves in 10years

the cimbali and a lot of other european machines have sweated pipe ends, quality seats in the valves etc, if leaks occur you are able to remove said pipe, clean joints and refit

no i dont just put shit on boemas, but they dont have the engineering quality of the cimbali.
                            dont get me wrong cimbalis can be absolute shits to work on
                            I hate/loathe the Boemas strictly based on looks, and the fact they use flared fittings - but thats just personal preference.

I have worked on a few over the years, and whilst i have found the valves a pain in the butt(compared to most) in terms of changing the washer, i have not had a problem with them.

But, as said, these machines can make a great coffee. And the fact is that you still see them in operation - some as old as 15 yrs.

What do we all think of the Expobars? - just out of curiosity

Comment

I can vouch for the durability of the Cimbalis. I have an M28 Basic 2-gr that is now about 20 years old. It was in use at a cafe for 17 years prior to my acquiring it. Per the previous owner nothing other than gaskets/o-rings (grouphead, valves, and anti-vac valve) were ever replaced in it. These are the same parts that I replace annually (total cost $10) to keep problems from occurring.

So, 20 years after it was made it is still pumping out espressos as perfectly as the day it rolled off the factory floor. With all of its original parts still functioning flawlessly. Hard to get better than that.

Java "Loves his Cimbali" phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X