Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Bezzera BZ35E

Hi everyone,
    I have just bought my first commercial machine (2nd hand Bezzera BZ35E).
    It comes up to pressure and temperature, but no water comes out of the head.
    Any clues as to the problem?
    I am keen to repair it myself but at this point dont know how they tick.
    Thanks.
    Cam

Re: Problem with Bezzera BZ35E

Hi Cam,

I remember seeing this machine up on ebay - from memory the ad said the bottom right touchpad doesnt work?

If it sounds like it is pumping, I would be checking out the three way valve. It might need a clean.

Damian.

Comment

Hi Damian,
      I will check out the valve when it arrives.
      (I posted this question before the machine arrived so I have some idea where to start).
      I dont even know if it is pumping yet as i am only going off the sellers description.
      It is good to know the valve may only be blocked rather than broken.
      (Im sure i have a lot to learn)
      Thanks.
      Cam

Comment

the machine has arrived but came with no plumbing connection pipes (I would have thought they would come with it).
        Anyway, I opened it up to have a look, noticed some of the electrical connections looked corroded. I cleaned them up, connected a temp water supply and the machine works perfectly.
        The only problem is it has not been maintained and the buildup of gunk is terrible.
        Can anyone tell me how to clean thick gunk off the inside of the group and group handles?
        Where else will i need to clean?
        I suppose i will need to clean out the boiler as well. Can this be done without taking it out?
        Thanks all.
        Cam

Comment

Cam:

"I suppose i will need to clean out the boiler as well. Can this be done without taking it out?"

No, you need to undo all the pipes and take out the heating element and the HX as well. I will probably recommended you to change the HX usually get a lot of gunk (if the previous owner did not use any filter.

Barazi has the diagrams in their website if is any help.

Do not forget to clean the group re-stricter jet and the fill re-stricter jet as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Renzo

Comment

OK, boiler is out, all pipes are off, now how do i clean the boiler???
            What cleaner or chemicals are recommended?
            Yes, the exchanger has some gunk in it but can it be cleaned?
            What are the the "group re-stricter jet and the fill re-stricter jet"?
            Is there a good way to clean or soak the inside of the dirty pipes?
            Sorry I have so many questions. First time for me (having fun though).
            Cam

Comment

Gday Cam,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

One of our Site Sponsors "Bombora" (link over on the L/H side of the page), have an excellent range of espresso machine cleaning and descaling products and would highly recommend your contacting them for specific information and the locale of their nearest retailer to you.

All the best,
              Mal.

Comment

Cam@mcl;

good morning, so all pipes are out and you have the boiler now good.

restricters jet are located in the in the pipes foing from the HX to the Solonoid.

Resticter is located before the fill solonoid.

Enclose link of the diagrams of your machine http://bezzera.it/pdf/BZ35_GB.pdf

Any question give as a call will be happy to help.

Regards

Renzo

Comment

Hey Cam

You could probably learn a lot about the exercise by looking at some of the restoration threads in this category.

I would suggest that http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1175840909 is probably one of the most informative in terms of what you are looking to do (and I wouldnt be using CLR either, but I do have a swimming pool....)

Regards

SD

Comment

Thanks for the tips SD and Renzo.
                    I cleaned all the copper and brass parts with Hcl acid and the rest with citric acid or detergent.
                    All went really well.

The machine is all back together & looks great but is not working.
                    It fills with water, heats up, steams beatifully but the pump is not working.
                    Water comes out of the group but there is no pumping sound and not much pressure.
                    Any ideas?
                    I am thinking it might be a solanoid. How would i check?
                    Cam

Comment

Water comes out of the group but there is no pumping sound and not much pressure.
                      Any ideas?
                      Try this first

Have you fitted the PF in to give a little resistance ?
                      Try it with a blind filter in the PF for about 10 seconds

It may be as simple as that I hope

KK

Comment

That sounded promising but after trying a couple of times with the blind filter, no success.
                        Plenty of back pressure but still no pump.
                        Thanks
                        Cam

Comment

Hi again Cam,

Dont know if youre "au fait" with reading electrical schematics, but have attached one for your machine that you might find helpful.

Cheers mate,
                          Mal.

Comment

Im not much good with elec schematics.

I have tried turning the shaft of the motor that drives the pump to see if it was freely turning.
                            I found that it moves but only about 10 degrees. Seems that something is stopping it.
                            I dont know if this is normal.
                            Does anyone know?

I will pull it all apart and check it out unless someone knows if this is normal.

It still doesnt explain why there is no noise at all though.

mmmmmmmm?

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by cam@mcl link=1215519871/0#13 date=1217163656
                              Im not much good with elec schematics.
                              Offer your local electrician some beautiful fresh coffee and see if he can help you out...

Originally posted by cam@mcl link=1215519871/0#13 date=1217163656
                              I have tried turning the shaft of the motor that drives the pump to see if it was freely turning.
                              I found that it moves but only about 10 degrees. Seems that something is stopping it.
                              I dont know if this is normal.
                              Does anyone know?
                              Is this with the pump still attached to the motor? If disconnected and the motor shaft is still that hard to turn then Id say the bearings are shot and maybe even worse than that...
                              If still connected to the pump, try separating the two and try again. The pump shaft can be quite tight but so long as it is smooth to turn by hand with no rough spots, etc it should be ok. If it is really rough or almost impossible to turn, even with a small spanner on the flats of the shaft, then the pump is probably cactused...

Cheers mate,
                              Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X