Rancilio Z9 Rebuild lots of work needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Z9 Rebuild lots of work needed

Embarresed to be placing this here a little but I have seen a few similar threads here with older machines so here goes.

The beasty was purchased from that evil fleabay place for $127 so I didnt expect much  :

Old, dirty, a bit rough externally, smelly & greasy (think it came from a takeaway shop by the smell  :P ) but still fairly sound in the chassis.

Hope to have it ready for Chritmas things being well with a full strip, rewire, clean and an external tidyup.

Speaking of wiring, would any of you have a wiring diagram for one of these? I have found exploded views but no wiring.

Re: Rancilio Z9 Rebuild lots of work needed

I have seen worse looking machines still in use in coffee shops.

Comment

This model was well known as an incorrigible, recalcitrant coffee burner.

Suggest the following advice:

when setting after rebuild, set boiler pressure / mercury switch to switch off at no higher than 0.9 bar...and possibly lower depending on how it goes if you run tests at various settings...the machine has a sizeable boiler so once up to pressure there is plenty of reserve and it should be able to stand being run at "low" pressure (from the point of view of its affecting brew temperature).

Dont even bother trying to source replacement group auto timers, waste of time and money and very obsolete. Even if you do find, they are not accurate......

Be prepared to run long group flushes before making each coffee to bring the brew temp down to a more acceptable level.

Regardz,
      Attilio.

Comment

Cheers Attilio for the info,

It is also listed as 4.5kW of heating so I think I will be dropping one or adding a multi-position switch for them for a start too so I can get near a normal power point.

Noticed this morning that the boiler is still part full :P :P should be full of all sorts of goodies by now. The portafilters that came with it look like they were used to scoop oil from the fryers as well :P

Given the current push for PIDs on smaller machines I was also considering doing some creative rewiring to try and incorporate one of these (my nerdy electrical engineering background coming out ) into the rebuilt machine.

At the end of the day it is a plaything and doesnt owe me much. If I finish up with a goer then I will be well in front.

A man has to have his toys 8-)

Comment

I just picked on of these up too, can you help with some thing? it looks like it has two water inlets, but that cant be right, is one a water outlet? and if so, which one?

Comment

I have one as well sitting in the shed It looks exactly the same as yours but painted bronze intead of red. Anyway I havent tried it out yet as am currently using my Z11 3 group (detuned to run on 10 amp outlet).

Do you have any idea of the age of these Z9s or does anybody, on that issus does anyone have any good resources they can point me towards in regards to rancilio models and history  from say 70s to present. I found the Rancilio website was not very specfic.

Cheers

Comment

whoops wasnt watching my own thread :-[ I will check out mine I know this one has a moccopan service tag on it which may have a date.

Comment

Yeah no dramas, I might need to pick your brain sometime in the future when I decide to try to get mine running. Cheers

Comment

love the look of this machine. I just thought Id comment on how cool it is that youve posted your machine up here, and Fresh_Coffee (Attilio) posted some honest tips for your machine... brilliant advice. This place is a haven for potentially buried information

James

Comment

Hi all.

Ive just got myself a 1-group machine of the same type, and would also appreciate any advice or diagrams that people might have lying around!

Ill take some shots and let you know how it goes.

Sam.

Comment

Ive uploaded the diagrams (pdf format) for the z9 to here:

http://www.box.net/shared/pc2mrhsgs6

The files were too big to attach directly.

Not sure if this helps or not?

Comment

Yeah thanks for the diagrams they were great.

I still havent really started playing with my Z9 much, but I was wondering home you guys were going with yours?

Cheers

Comment

Very slow going this end as I have only got a usable workshop in the last month. I have decided it will be a good winter project now I am back to 6 days a week and have some spare time.

I actually have another of them now : The second one has a control issue and wasnt shutting off the element but for the $70 and some frieght it will make for cheap spares and it came with 3 more portafilters.

Comment

can i ask where are you finding them for these cheap prices?

i need a project very soon..........

been sniffing around SYD but yet to find them that cheap....

Comment

EvilBay the place that can not be named [smiley=evil.gif]

Comment

Working...
                              X