Nuova Simonelli 2 group bargain!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuova Simonelli 2 group bargain!!!

I have just managed to pick up a two group Nuova Simonelli Premier Maxi for $100!!!

YES you did read that right.  It was off Flea-bay and I picked it up last night.  Have just started to have a look inside and will post some pictures but it looks in amazing condition!  Very clean internally.  I havent switched it on yet but am hoping to do that later today.

It needs a 15A circuit but Im planning to trial it with a normal circuit to make sure it is all working.

[img]0[/img]

Re: Nuova Simonelli 2 group bargain!!!

(the pic didnt work)

$100!
    Small risk for a play.

Look forward to following the thread.

Comment

Struggling to get the picture to work - but I agree good price for a learning experience. Just checked to find that the workshop has been setup with a 15 A circuit!!! Just about to flick the switch and see what happens...

Will post later! and hopefully with pictures

Comment

Does this photo work?

Comment

That is a freakin sweet pick up for $100!!! Looks in pretty clean condition on the outside. Hope its the same on the inner. Whats the known history of this machine?

Comment

Not sure of history - I got it from a guy who had it for 6 months. He had cleaned it up and was a student. Didnt use it since he didnt have a pressure regulator. Dont think that he realised that he could use it with a tank/bottle/bucket.

Very clean inside

Comment

More internal shots

Comment

Originally posted by michel_c link=1222403262/0#5 date=1222431306
                 Didnt use it since he didnt have a pressure regulator.  Dont think that he realised that he could use it with a tank/bottle/bucket.

Very clean inside
                Yep, she looks great and a real bargain as well....

Just on the comment re using it with a tank/bottle/bucket.... be VERY careful!!

Some pumps (like procon) will run happily like that forever..... HOWEVER some (like many fitted to Italian machines as standard).... require positive mains pressure on the supply side....

My La Cimbali for example when used from a tank will kill the pump very quickly..... and a new pump can cost more than you paid for the whole machine..... So check out the pump specs before you try it or it could be an expen$$$$$$ive mistake

Comment

Fired it up this afternoon with some success!

I emptied the boiler out and was getting concerned about running it on a regular power circuit as it draws 13 amps. Then remember that the guy who build my house was a very practical sort of guy and so I checked the power board to find that there was a circuit in the workshop/garage that has a 20amp breaker on it! So I was keen to give it a go.

Checked the lead to find that it had been joined onto an old plug with tape - didnt like the look of that so removed joined section and attached a new plug (only 10amp plug for now).

Filled a bucket with water (procon pump) and put hose into it. Very nervously plugged in and switched on at the wall. Switched on the machine and .... the pump kicked in ... water started filling up the level gauge ... click ... and the water stopped filling. Everything was looking excellent!

Got up to temperature in about 15 minutes. Check the water flow from both heads ... all good, checked steam ... all good. Checked water flow ... a little too much steam but not unexpected.

Now where was the coffee to fill up one of the three PFs that I got with the machine. Two doubles, a single and a blind basket.

Down comes the very small looking IC grinder and in go some old Mexican HG Organic that havent been used. Quick grind on current setting - very poor tamp with 53mm tamper and ....

Managed to get some fairly reasonable looking coffee!!!! AMAZING

One problem that I did find was that the seal between the soleniod and the group head on the left hand side sprayed water when under pressure - i.e. making coffee.

Have ordered some shower screens and seals from Coffeeparts but am likely to need to order some more stuff before too long.

Comment

Thanks for advice JavaB.  This does have a procon pump so my understanding is that it will happily pull from a tank?

Is this right?

[img][/img]

Comment

Originally posted by michel_c link=1222403262/0#9 date=1222432440
                      Thanks for advice JavaB.  This does have a procon pump so my understanding is that it will happily pull from a tank?

Is this right?
                      Yep, no problem at all with a procon..... Id say the original has been replaced at some stage EDIT: (just checked your photo and it shows Nuova Simonelli - so must be the brand they use).

They will happily draw from a reservoir ..... so its your very lucky day!

Comment

This shows the location of the leak. Now to determine how to fix it... but at least the rest is working

Comment

Also found today that I might need to spend some time understanding how the auto fill works.

On start up the pump kicked in and filled the boiler up almost to overflowing! For some reason it didnt seem to realise that there was already heaps of water in the boiler.

Also when filling after using the hot water spout the water level appears to creep up slowly with each fill. Does anyone know enough about how this system works to give me any advice?

Is the water level adjustable? There appears to be two sensors on the side of the boiler - one must be pressure and one must be level. What is the basis of how they measure?

Comment

Hi Michel,

Im no expert on these particular machines but as a guide, the Boiler Fill Limit Probe should stop the pump at around 55-60% volume level and start up again at around 40-45%. The probes operate by their immersion in water altering the resistance being sensed by the controller... As the Boiler fills, the resistance reduces slightly until the setpoint is reached and the pump stopped. Usually, a second probe is installed to sense an open-circuit between it and the falling water level, at which point the pump is restarted.

If the probes have a layer of scale deposited on them, the resistance will have changed outside the expected range and the controller can no longer operate within spec. Simply removing the probes, clean and then replace will hopefully fix the problem. You need to make sure you mark the seating depth of the probes before removal to ensure that the control range remains the same.

It may even be worth your while to consider removing the boiler, heat exchangers, element, etc and give everything a good descale and clean. You will then know exactly what state your machine is in before starting to use it. Bombora have some great products for helping you to do all of this and at very reasonable prices too. All the best mate and have fun..... ;D

Mal.

Comment

Managed to fix the leak from the solenoid valve with a replacement seal!

Still working on removing boiler and descaling.

Any ideas on best way of removing screws that dont want to move in the group head - holding the shower screen on? They are just straight screws and very hard to get reasonable torque on them to get them to move. Ive bought replacement screws that are tightened by allen key to make things easier in the future.

Worst option is to remove the whole group and disassemble using a vice but hoping that I dont have to go to that level at this stage.

Comment

Working...
                              X