La Marzocco GS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Marzocco GS3

In around 4 months time i may be looking for a new machine.
    Recently my giotto played up and i stripped it, cleaned it and changed parts and she is working brilliantly.
    I was thinking about purchasing a new machine but had not done much research so decided to fix it, then when it came time for a new machine, the giotto can then be a back up machine.

Now there was no way i could get a commercial plumbed in machine as i do not want to drill holes in the ceaser stone bench top, so it was going to be another giotto or a dobomar super lever s/s
    that is of course untill i saw this baby.

the La Marzocco GS3

it ticks all the boxes, twin boiler, internal water res with PID temp control, rotary pump and not a huge footprint.

only down side is the price, well just means i will have to wait longer for one.

So is such a beast worth it for home use.
    4-6 cups a day but we entertain allot so weekends it can get a good workout

Has anyone here had any first hand experiances with one.
    I suppose i am trying to find out if its worth double the price of say a new giotto or dobomar

Re: La Marzocco GS3

one option may be plumbing through the walls instead of the benchtop...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnA link=1227526713/0#0 date=1227526713
      Has anyone here had any first hand experiances with one.
      I suppose i am trying to find out if its worth double the price of say a new giotto or dobomar
      Yes, I got to have a really good play around with it for a few hours a while ago. I took a blend that I am very familiar with in and dialled it in to perfection. The GS3 produces a superb cup, easily on par with anything that the most highly thought of commercial machines produce ... in fact, it would not surprise me if further experimentation showed that it is actually capable of producing a better cup than those machines. This is against my criteria of a machine that produces consistent results with a given coffee, allows you to extract the flavour that you want for that coffee and makes clear the differences between two different coffees. Whether this is worth the money is a matter for your own judgment. One thing to note is that you can tweak the living heck out of the GS3 to make it perform exactly as you want; this might cause more frustration than joy if you are not methodical in your tweaks and havent had experience in making those changes.

The fit and finish is good, but not quite up to par with the rest of the LM machines. It is really heavy, particularly if the boilers are full, so plan on having two people move it. Yes, it has a rotary pump and, yes, it is really quiet (even if running off the tank). If you want one, you should contact EES and see where they are at in getting the latest upgrades for it.

La Marzocco have been experimenting with a million different versions of their paddle group and will hopefully be releasing one for the GS3 soon.

Personally, I think that getting a robur for home and pairing it up with a good prosumer machine would be money better spent than buying a GS3. That doesnt mean that Im any less enthusiastic about buying a GS3!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Get a Speedster!

http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/at-t...peedster2.html

Comment

roknee, no can do with the walls either.
          Its an island bench and we are on a slab

Luca, thank you so much for that info. Seems the GS3 requires a good learning curve and may be a little too much for someone like myself. However it could be fun playing around with it.
          Looks like ill do a little more research, i have time on my side which is good.

billybolonski, that is one funky looking machine

Comment

fair enough JA - no plumb it is
            it seems like the GS3 is pretty much the machine that will take you on a lONG journey into coffee BUT that doesnt mean that you couldnt jump on like any other machine and produce the goods. maybe someone who is familiar with the GS3 could show you the way around it first (i dont know what sort of manual comes with) and then i cant imagine why youd struggle with it moreso than any other machine.

hard to answer the Q about price. is it WORTH double a domobar super lever? depends whos asking the worth question.
            is a SMG merc WORTH quadruple times the price of a monaro?

and i agree with luca that youll be limited more by the grinder than the machine (unless you already have yourself something sweet)

Comment

roknee, thanks again for your input. Trust me if i could plumb i would, but just cant see it happening.
              Thanks for your thoughts again.
              As for grinder, i currently have a mazzer mini

Comment

Originally posted by roknee link=1227526713/0#5 date=1227573051
                i cant imagine why youd struggle with it moreso than any other machine.
                Id say that thats more or less right.

If you buy a vibiemme or giotto or whatever the flavour of the month is, you get a particular temperature and pressure profile and you pretty much arent going to change that.  Coffees that are well suited to that will taste great on it, coffees that are less well suited to that particular combination will not be showcased to the same effect.

The great advantage of the GS3 is that you can easily and confidently change all of those parameters to suit the particular coffee that you are working with at the time.  However, if you dont want to do that, you can just use whatever default settings you want.  Again, coffees that are well suited to that will taste great on it, coffees that are less well suited to that particular combination will not be showcased to the same effect.  In that regard, the GS3 cannot be any worse than any other machine.  In fact, it will probably be better because the machine will do a better job of maintaining the default settings so that you wont have to deal with a moving target.  This is particularly useful if you make multiple shots in a row, as most e61 head machines that I have measured heat up a few degrees over the first few shots in a back-to-back series.

If you are not familiar with changing temperature and pressure - and, lets face it, few people are - you would probably take pretty tentative steps to start off with.  For example, you might make large (3.5C) changes to temperature whilst keeping all of the other variables constant.  Of course, you can do so at your own pace or not at all, as you please.

Originally posted by roknee link=1227526713/0#5 date=1227573051
                maybe someone who is familiar with the GS3 could show you the way around it first (i dont know what sort of manual comes with)
                The manual is pretty good, but all manuals are pretty useless when it comes to working out what youre going to get in the cup.

If anyone in Melbourne gets a GS3 and wants a hand setting it up, send me a PM.  I love playing around on those things!

As for grinder, i currently have a mazzer mini
                If your goal is to improve the quality and consistency of your espresso, your money will probably be better spent buying a ridiculously large conical burr grinder like the Robur.  Such a grinder will improve every shot that you pull and will probably make it easier to dial in a new blend.  In contrast, if you find a blend that performs well at the particular pressure, temperature, dose, etc that you use on a prosumer machine, the improvement in going over to a GS3 probably wont be as much for that particular blend as the improvement in moving to a Robur. However, the big bad conical burr grinders dont tend to be very kitchen-friendly. The Robur Electronic is a towering behemoth. The Compak K10 is smaller, but seems to hold a much larger amount of ground coffee in the exit chute from the burrs.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1227526713/0#7 date=1227578676
                   The Compak K10 is smaller, but seems to hold a much larger amount of ground coffee in the exit chute from the burrs.

Cheers,

Luca

Hi Luca,

I think recent WBC spec Compaks are a whole heap better in this regard...

Might be worth having a look at mine sometime to see if you agree.

Chris

Comment

Luca, once again thank you for taking the time to answer.

The K10 looks like a lovely grinder and maybe something id be happy to replace the mazzer mini with.
                    If i take that route, i can then re-asses were to go with a new coffee machine.

If i do however decide to go the GS3, i will take up you offer of setting it up

Comment

Site Sponsors CoffeeParts have the GS3.

Might be worth having a chat to Pedro to see if you can get a CSr special deal.

http://www.coffeeparts.com/machines/marzocco.html

Comment

Andy, funny you should mention that as that is were i first saw the beast.
                        I wont bother them just yet with pricing. Once my mind is made up and when the time is right, then i can annoy them

Comment

Im fairly close to your intended usage profile - domestic use, 6-8 cups a day, desire not to go plumbed in yet, and limited benchtop space. The GS3 ticked all the boxes for me, so I went ahead with the purchase. Ive been using it for around 6 weeks.

I had a good quality E61 based machine before (Isomac Mondiale), which could produce terrific coffee occasionally. I think it was more my lack of discipline with controlling all the variables that restricted good results.

The GS3 has been a revelation in at least one important respect for me - consistency. It just works with minimum fuss, day in day out, delivering absolutely great results.

I havent experimented much with different settings, but rather focussing more on getting the right grind settings for different beans, and dosing/tamping correctly. As my confidence builds, Ill probably experiment more with both temperatures, pre-brewing etc.

I certainly havent found the wealth of options to be in any way a barrier to making great coffee with the GS3 - its more a case of having the ability to "tweak" up your sleeve when you want to use it.

Comment

give us some pics!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_S link=1227526713/0#13 date=1228382660
                              give us some pics!!!
                              This straight from the Coffee Parts web site and sponsor <<<<<<<<

La Marzocco - GS3
                              The Lite Professional

Water Tank: 2 liters

Steam Boiler: 3.5Lt

Brew Boiler: 1.5Lt

Voltage: 240V

Dimensions: (WxDxH) 400 x 530 x 355mm

Coutry of origin: Italy

RRP: $6,700

Handmade in Florence Italy the La Marzocco GS/3 Espresso Machine utilizes LMs Dual boiler technology, PID temperature Control and has been hailed "Best in the (espresso) industry for temperature stability".

La Marzocco’s GS/3 dramatically resets standards for performance among home and light commercial categories. It compared favorably to the finest high volume machines on the market today. In a tiny footprint, with water reservoir or plumb-in options, the GS/3 suits home espresso preparation and use and yet has sufficient steam power and performance recovery for many commercial espresso applications including restaurants, catering and professional offices.

La Marzocco GS/3 Specs:

dual stainless steel boiler technology and saturated brewing groups

3.5 liter internal water reservoir- PID temperature control (proportional integral derivative)

“Cool Touch” stainless steel steam wand and hot water wand

Multifunction keypads and digital display

Internal Procon Rotary Pump (same as on our commercial machines, but internal!)

Brew water pre-heating system

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X