Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Pavoni Pub single

Hello All,

I got my hands on a La Pavoni Pub single group auto, circa 1999 (for free). The outside looks pretty good still, but it has been sitting in a storeroom with water inside it for close on 5 years now.

So I dropped it off at the fixeruppers yesterday, and got the quote back today. $750. Yipes. It sounds like the some pipes, seals and the pump needs replacement, and possibly some of the electronics are fried. I am not exactly sure how to proceed at this stage, but I will be getting an itemised quote later this week, and I will give an update.

Anyway, it is an absolutely lovely machine, and I will post some pics later this week.
    I still need to decide if it will be worth fixing. Any input will be welcomed

Re: La Pavoni Pub single

Itemised quote will at least let you see whether you might be able to do any of it yourself.

Are you mechanically minded?

Comment

Welcome Nico... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I think fellow CSer "Sparky" owns a similar (but larger) machine and may be able to help you out with very useful info....

Mal.

Comment

at $750 I think you would still be a little under second hand price.

Comment

$750 certainly appears to be under the new price - given it has been posted in the $3k+ folder. No idea what someone would pay for a 2nd hand one.

Comment

I am still waiting for the quote, but I am now really looking forward to doing a nice restoration project myself. The are still selling the exact same model I have, and they are $3800 new. I am not sure if it should be in this folder based on the new price, or in another folder, based on what they sell for secondhand, which seems to be in the $1800 range.

I have read a few resto threads here and elsewhere, and I am armed with manuals, wiring diagrams, exploded parts lists, tools, and a camera - to help with reassembling the lot. I have recurring nightmares about a bucket of bits with no idea where they are supposed to go.

Comment

lol. I know the feeling... Arm yourself with snaplock bags as well. Perfect for storage of like parts, and labelling.

Keep us posted - I love resto threads - Maybe too much :

Comment

I want to fetch the la pavoni today, and got the itemised quote. The guy explained to me that this was absolute worst case. I still have to hunt these parts down on coffeparts, and see what can be fixed first.

Group Seal  $15
                Shower to Group $15
                Pump $95
                Group Valve for Group $175  (yikes)
                Auto Box  $260  (This was one of the maybe nots)
                Element Gasket $8
                Pressure Stata $65
                Labour $120

So, since the machine has been standing for about 5 years with water inside, I suspect there may be some additional damage, but the pros reckon not.

Here are some pics of the pav outside:

N.B.

Gday PavoniBoy...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Can you keep image size to a maximum of 640(W)x480(H) pixels please mate? Larger images can slow down page loading considerably, especially for people with limited bandwidth connections.....

If you are unsure about how to easily resize your images,
                this link will hopefully assist .

Thanks,
                Mal.
                P.S.
                Perhaps you could resize the remainder of your images in the posts below....

Comment

Originally posted by 77707A76190 link=1242303497/7#7 date=1242644954
                  I want to fetch the la pavoni today, and got the itemised quote. The guy explained to me that this was absolute worst case. I still have to hunt these parts down on coffeparts, and see what can be fixed first.

Group Seal            $15
                  Shower to Group            $15
                  Pump                  $95
                  Group Valve for Group      $175  (yikes)
                  Auto Box            $260  (This was one of the maybes)
                  Element Gasket            $8
                  Pressure Stata            $65
                  Labour                  $120

So, since the machine has been standing for about 5 years with water inside, I suspect there may be some additional damage, but the pros reckon not.

Here are some pics of the pav outside:
                  I think it is a bit to much for you to manage..

How about I flick you 50 and take it off ya hands

Comment

The inside actually looks better than the outside. I can see where the shot element gasket has to go. I suspect this was the reason they stopped using it. Madness.

I am not sure what the black box with the seized contact is, but I suspect it may be fried.

Comment

All in all a lot better looking inside than I imagined.

Comment

looks great inside....the guys are marking the parts up like no tomorrow. If you are mechanically inclined, you can purchase all these parts at Coffee Parts and do it all yourself on the cheap.

Comment

Was about to say the same thing. CoffeeParts will have what you want. Group seal should be more like 7 rather than 15 for a start (but I havent looked for your exact model).

Looks pretty good otherwise.

If you get really adventurous you could pull absolutely everything apart... taking pictures as you go of course

Comment

Originally posted by 4D747E7E727172517C6969781D0 link=1242303497/12#12 date=1242687693
                            If you get really adventurous you could pull absolutely everything apart... taking pictures as you go of course  
                            Digital cameras have certainly made this aspect of overhauling complex equipment a much more accessible task than it used to be.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

I will certainly be taking lots of pics, and updating on progress I have made. I will also be resizing properly. The first ones were in fact resized down, but only to 800x600. Sorry mods.

I have decided to pull as much as possible apart. I can imagine how much gunk and buildup could be in the boiler and other bits from having water in it for 5 years.

So the first things on my agenda is to see if I can fix the pump. The Pav has an Ulka pump in, as you can tell from one of the above pics, and when I fired it up the other day it was way noisy, and was not pulling any water through, so I did a bit of research, and found this interesting blog entry from a guy that stripped, cleaned and repaired a broken ulka.

http://ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com/

If the pump is busted, I will replace it, but since my budget is really tight, my motto is fix before replace.

So I am not really sure how the guy that did the quote could be sure all the stuff on that list needs replacement, since the pump is not working properly, so I would imagine you could not really try to pull a shot to test. You probably would not want to, since doing so may block everything up if any of the crud got pushed through the system.

In terms of the $175 group valve, and all the other valves, I see that all the components that make up the valve can be bought separately, so even if parts are seized or rusted, I would probably only need to replace those - I hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X