Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IamOiman a bit late to the party on this one. I spotted a Malwani Livi in your collection. I have one due shortly so Interested to know if yours arrived in good condition (some have reported poor packing) and how you rate it. Thanks.

Comment

• IamOiman
      IamOiman commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually purchased mine used, the prior owner did not like the manual use as much as he expected so I got to 350 USD for it! He said it arrived fine but it took a small cosmetic dink in shipment (I believe he said it arrived in a small wooden crate) that does not bother me at all.

• tompoland
      tompoland commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks IamOiman I appreciate you letting me know. Great score!

• This thread has sent me down a rabbit hole... Beautiful machines

Comment

• I will post here so I do not populate the forums with another thread, but I am currently in Italy right now and visited MUMAC yesterday with a private tour with Enrico Maltoni. He does not speak much English but we scraped by with my Italian skills and he presented some of his many machines to me. He was very nice during the visit. I hope my Marte will look as good as his pretty soon!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0045_2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	903840 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116_1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	903841 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0111.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	903843 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0147_2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	903844 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0122.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	903842

Comment

• tompoland
        tompoland commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow

Wow

Wow

• IamOiman
        IamOiman commented
        Editing a comment
        I it was almost the case, I was more reluctant to leave his archive room to be honest. It was just me, a family member, and Enrico in the whole building!

• Beanz.
        Beanz. commented
        Editing a comment
        A fantastic place to visit, I was there for hours. Walked around several times, an absolutely amazing collection.

• You're in good company IamOiman https://youtu.be/6Kv1e00rCbc

Comment

• Great post IamOiman, (as always).
        If that's you on the right you look like a younger version of me, (these days I have ties older than you).
        How would you describe the perfect vintage taste ?
        Which machine comes closest to consistently reproducing it ?

Comment

• IamOiman
          IamOiman commented
          Editing a comment
          I am 24 years old, so pretty young I'd say (yes I am on the right).

I will argue among the machines I have they all can produce similar shots if dialed in properly, it's more about style for me in terms of what I look for. My vintage tastes stem primarily from the nostalgic shots I had in Naples, in terms of the actual espresso, which all of my machines can produce (a caveat here is many of them use the same group). In terms of style I can appreciate most of them to be honest.

There is nothing that stands out too much for me, although I am bollocks at describing taste sometimes, but I think due to serviceability and availability of spare parts, almost any machine with the zodiac group will serve you well. I am soon to acquire some machines with the La San Marco group so I have high expectations.

• I moved the Gaggia Internazionale to a display position in the dining room so I could free up some space in the kitchen for the Mercurio while placating the other people in the house that use that same space. There are a few key kinks I will need to work out with it but I am happy to have pulled espresso for it at the minimum.

Name:	DSC_0563_5.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	913263

Looking a little further out you can see most of the other machines hiding in this room. It's just the President you can't see. The Mercurio is in the kitchen, and down in the basement I have the Marte, Classica, P67, and Boema in various stages of disassembly. However I intend to bring upstairs the P67 soon as it does work but I just have not carved out space for it yet. On top of that I have three machines that should be shipped to me within a month probably, so that will confound my efforts a little.

Name:	DSC_0564_4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	913262

Since it is warming up finally I will be switching out the 2 group President soon with two one group machines, probably the Lambro and maybe the Mercurio, Urania, or Bosco. I am condemned with choice I suppose

Comment

• tompoland
          tompoland commented
          Editing a comment
          If by some miracle I wake up one morning in your dining room I will be certain that I died and went to heaven.

• There is something I find beautiful about coffee machines, especially the vintage ones. And it's nothing to do with coffee, of quality of shots or anything like that. It's aesthetics, style, engineering, all coming together in a wonderful package. If I had the space I would buy and showcase them.. but alas....

Comment

• It gets pretty serious when a pallet is involved. This 170kg shipment popped up right around noon today with my three latest acquisitions:

1960's 1 group La San Marco Tipo 69
          1970's 2 group La San Marco Tipo 75
          1970's 1 group La Cimbali Eleva

I got these from my friend Francesco in Rome since he had multiple copies of each machine. These are the first machines I acquired from these two brands so I will be very curious to see how they compare to my other levers. I am using all my willpower to not tear them apart on the spot!

Name:	20220622_142929.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	917935 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_122711.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	917938 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_122636.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	719.0 KB
ID:	917939 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_142711.jpg
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	917937 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_141007.jpg
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	917936

Comment

• Grumpybarista
            Grumpybarista commented
            Editing a comment
            They look great! When are you going to open a museum to show off all your beautiful restored machines? 🙂

• IamOiman
            IamOiman commented
            Editing a comment
            Soon (TM) ___

• tompoland
            tompoland commented
            Editing a comment
            Will you marry me? (I'm ok with separate bedrooms)

• WooHoo!!! More machines to dive into!

Java "Gotta love new toys!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
          X