X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Z9 overhaul

My new project:

http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/u...albumview=grid

If you have any advice or tips I would be appreciative.....

Re: Rancilio Z9 overhaul

Have a read here too. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1219929823

Mine look nicer than your but only just

Comment

looks like the one on ebay acouple of weeks ago... what did u end up getting it for?

Comment

mine was on spec, $100 or so if i get it going (from a friend). have completely stripped it, quite corroded and the boiler gave me jip though looking ok.

if anyone has spares i am interested!

Comment

Heres the boiler and heat exchanger pulled apart.

Due to the corrosion, these flange rings from both sides of the boiler were broken. If anyone has spares or knows where to get them, I would love you forever....

Comment

Originally posted by 0D2F37252A202136440 link=1243996246/4#4 date=1244286164
            If anyone has spares or knows where to get them
            Theres a Z9 on ferrelbay going tomorrow that you could watch, but I suspect will go for much more than you want to spend just for a couple of parts.

Comment

What a pity...

Some bloody manufacturers still insist on using Black Steel bolts instead of the correct grade of stainless on these sorts of things. Any wonder that corrosion sets in and destroys what would otherwise be, perfectly recoverable parts.

Very maddening.... >

Mal.

Comment

I have been persevering with the beast, now with frame and externals powdercoated.

The boiler is still with a machinist to remove the corroded group head bolts and machine some new flange-rings. When he gets off his arse to do that then it shouldnt be too far away....

Comment

Well much blood, sweat, tears and money have gone into the beast. Along with a cool MD-50 I got at an auction, finally got the first shot today...

Not quite finished as yet, still to put the shroud back on, but Im waiting to see if anything goes wrong first.

Comment

initial shots were good and hasnt been leaking, so here it is pretty well done. only one group head but that suits me fine....

now just have to plumb it in and learn how to make decent microfoam.

Comment

looks good love the orange

how did you block off the 2nd GH and piping ?
                      did you fabricate a plate to bolt on over the boiler?

Comment

nah, the GHs had a brass plate that is sandwiched between 2 gaskets. i just used it with a gasket on the boiler face:

not too sure why the boiler is open at the points where the GHs attach if theyre just going to be blocked off. not knowing much about coffee machines prior to this i have been learning lots....

Comment

????
                          my machines dont have that, must be the way the thermosyphon / Gh heating works on yours ?

i dont have a Rancilio but....... (yet )

thanks for the pic,

Comment

Originally posted by 486A72606F656473010 link=1243996246/9#9 date=1253499073
                            now just have to plumb it in and learn how to make decent microfoam.
                            Good luck, itll take some practice.

Ive got a 1-group model of the same machine, and its all over so quickly! Particularly if steaming milk for one...

Comment

"Randy" has been a treat and the bad things they say about Z9s arent true. Im still to make good milk as she puts out that much steam the milk is almost vaporised in seconds....

She has developed a leak that is caused by the mains pressure of the intake water that causes it to leak cold, fresh water from an overflow into the waste water. Anyone know which seal this is from? My guess is one of two or 3 seals but i cant face pulling the whole thing apart again.

Comment

Working...
                              X