Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expobar Elegance 2 group

Hi Folks

Not that I have the money to spend, but there is currently an Expobar elegance on trademe (NZs evilbay) that is supposedly 6 months old with an extremely reasonable start res / buy now.

Obviously I cant link the auction itself, but following is one of the photos provided. It looks extremely clean, and the outside photo is similar.

Are there any potential hazards I could encounter with this machine?

It seems to have its own internal pump, could this be run from a 20l water container rather than plumbed in (not an option in our rented house)?

It appears to have a normal household plug on the end, so looks like a 10amp circuit would do it (std wall socket in NZ).

Its at the other end of the country from me, so pysical inspection is not an option

Cheers

Sen

Re: Expobar Elegance 2 group

Its going to be hard to tell if the plug is a 10 amp plug. The only difference in a 10a and 15a plug is the earth terminal is 50% bigger. Interestingly all caravans use 15amps for their main power. How does the average household plug their caravan into mains short of getting a plug put into their meter box?

Comment

front side shot with the plug. Cant tell to be honest.

As for Caravans, Most I have seen "properly" plugged in are into a dedicated plug (weatherproof?) on the underside of a houses eves. Cartainly not the old "extension chord into the kitchen" scenario

Sen

Comment

As long as it is the compact (which it looks like it is) then 10 amp is fine, and it will pull out of the container with no issues. Styling looks a bit retro would wonder about the 6 mths age but could just be a different model imported into NZ. Good luck with the purchase, if you get it.

"Other features of the compact machine include 6 litre copper boiler and 2.5 kw element. " A quote from ebony.co.nz regarding the model so 10amp just.

Comment

As for the caravan issue, if they have a caravan then they would get a 15amp socket installed, easy and doesnt cost the earth.

Comment

This 2-group compact will run from a 10A (but only just).

Ive put one on a coffee cart for a guy and it runs well. I told the cart owner just for safety wait till the boiler is up to temp before running the grinder for a long period if they are sharing the same circuit (as you cant always know what else the circuit may be used for).

I put a tong-meter on the active whilst it was heating up and found the current draw about 6A without the water pump on. It spiked to just under 8A when the pump fired up.

Expobars are solid machines, made in Spain and good value - they use many internal components found most other brands. The parts are easy to get and if you cant get them locally in NZ, Expobar AUS can be contacted in Melb.

As for drawing water from a bucket - as you can see from the pic it uses a standard rotary vane pump (fluid-o-tech style) and it will work for some time (months or maybe a year+ on light duty), but please be aware that even rotaries need (or prefer) some active input flow pressure, else they are working extra hard to "suck" the water from the bucket. Harder work = lower lifespan - this applies to the motor and the pump.

Having said that, Ive see some carts run with high workload from buckets OK. For home use, it may last for a long time - depends upon how much use it has had already.

Replacement pumps range from $120-200 and motors are more expensive up to $250-$300+. You will find that the motor in this unit is pretty highly rated and similar to the motors used in full-size 2 and 3 groups (but dont quote me on that).

The trick to pulling good tasting shots on Expobars (assuming all the other variables like grind, tamp, pressure, temp, etc. are setup) is to keep the group head very clean by regular backflushing and removal of the dispersement screen (easy with a spoon). Some of the Expobar group head designs have chambers that *collect* rancid buildup quite quickly. Cleaning regimes need to be performed more regularly & thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by 11272C23362D30420 link=1244000020/2#2 date=1244001916
              front side shot with the plug. Cant tell to be honest.
              Looks like 15A from that angle.

Comment

Very good eye site is a 15 amps

Comment

Thanks; Im deaf, not blind (yet).

Comment

Working...
                  X