Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whether to turn home machines on and off or leave on all the time

Hi

I have 2008 La Cimbali Junior S (semi auto tanked version with vib pump).

As my wife and I only have coffee a couple of nights a week and once a day on the week-end (say 8 to 10 coffees a week) I tend to turn my machine off when not in use. I turn it on about 3 hours before Im going to make a coffee.

I use filtered water and the Junior also has a water softener in the water tank as well.

I have heard some opinions that its best to leave machines on all the time because its when the machine is starting up that the electronics are most at risk and that repetative heating and cooling adds to calcium build-up. Not sure if this is such an issue if using filtered water.

I would appreciate any advice on whether my current approach is ok.

Thanks

GCM58

Re: Whether to turn home machines on and off or leave on all the time

Hello GCM58,

this one has been covered quite a few times in the past, you could do a search. Never the less it is an interesting topic.

That said everyone has an opinion...who is correct?

Mine is this. If you leave your machine on all the time you are wearing it out and it isnt even being used 99% of the time its on.

While its on, the pressurestat and the element are switching on and off ad infinitum. They are only designed tio have "so many" cycles in them before they fail. You are using them all up without using and deriving pleasure from the machine while it is on.

The group seal eventually is affected by heat, goes hard and no longer seals. Same story as above. All that costs the owner more money in service costs & unnecessary replacemenmt of parts over time.

I have never seen an electronic or electric problem in a coffee machine, that could be attributed to switching it on and off.

Other complications can occur if the machine is a "plumb in" connection. Sooner or later, might take 15 years, but sooner or later your flexible inlet water pipe (or a plastic water filter housing) will burst and flood your house, and you arent there to do anything about it if the machine is left on all the time. When you eventually discover it, you have lost the entire floor coverings in the house.

This has happened to me 3 times, twice in business and once at home. I lost the entire floor coverings in my home because when they dried...they shrank.

I now always turn my machines off at the end of the day or session, and I also turn off the water at the tap for plumb in machines.

Hope this helps,
    Attilio
    Very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

I had a "Shocked Expression" on my face when I got my last electricity bill

That prompted me to install solar cells on my roof, next to the solar hot water system

I also have a digital power use monitor installed from a Council incentive to fit one

From observing this device it is clear that hot water heating is the highest drawer of energy in my household & I am sure its the same for all

I have decided to turn off the machine when not in use

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 447067716A5D416D64646767020 link=1244161210/1#1 date=1244171959
        That said everyone has an opinion...who is correct?
        I was waiting for some thoughts too.

I would be leaning to switching it off, due to wear as Attilio has stated and due the risk of fire etc. I have seen the pressurestat on my machine starting to smoke and I fixed before anything could happen. If I had left it on who knows what could have happened.
        My dad (an electronic engineer) actually unplugs from the wall socket any eletrical device when he can.

Then again switching off and on means parts expand and contract meaning a higher failure rate.
        If it is a commercial isnt it designed to stay on?

I think there are fors and against.

For safety reasons I would say if you arent present switch it off.
        But thats just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 52514343475149300 link=1244161210/3#3 date=1244173520
          For safety reasons I would say if you arent present switch it off.

Ahh.....great stuff bassway this is the quote of the day.

Regardz,
          Attilio.

Comment

I have a commercial 1 group. I switch off the power and turn off the water when I am not using it.
            Once you get into a habit its easy to do power and water. AFAIK cafes also switch machines off overnight and the water is turned off.

I dont want to run the risk of flooding my floor (or the floors below in my building), or starting a fire, when I am not around to stop it.

Id rather replace the electronics in my machine - if it ever breaks - than deal with insurance companies because of fire or flood.

Comment

Interesting...I dont turn my water off to the machine but I turn it off when out for more than a few mins. Apart from that its on 24/7 - one of us are here most of the time. Copper get fatigued from constant heating up and cooling, but they are made for it I guess. My preference is for them to stay hot as constant heating and cooling cannot be as good for the machine as constant heat. Group seals are very cheap...

Cheers

Comment

From what you say, your coffee times are fairly predictable. I say turn on an hour before use and off after.

My machine stays on when Im home, because I will drink at different times, and up to 4 times some days. When Im finished for the day, about 6, off it goes until the next morning.

Greg

Comment

Gday Oz,

For a commercial machine being used in a commercial environment, leaving it on for extended periods is a given... The machine is not really sitting idle.

I agree with Attilios argument above though for all other situations. Ive even seen a couple of houses flooded out when the water line to a fridges ice-maker blew out when people werent home, ditto for washing machines, dish-washers, etc.

If you are intent on leaving the machine running though, Id think about interceding SSRs in between the p/stat and the heating elements. This will cut back significantly on electrical contact wear on the p/stat, the most common cause for electrical failure on these devices. In all honesty though and especially as you have the Boiler lagged on the Faema, turning it off between uses wouldnt use additional energy in practical terms and would allow quick recovery when the unit is switched back on.

Worth thinking about I reckon...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal - I will think about that. Your right about the lagging, she gets back to speed very quickly, but then again we are always pulling water out for tea too...so its a bit tricky. Having said that when we go out she goes off. I could turn it off at night I suppose also.

What are SSRs?

Cheers

Comment

Speaking of the water lines though I suppose there isnt much you can do about that short of turning all the taps off to the appliances prior to each time you go out....no one is going to be able to do that or keep it up if they go out regularly. Is a coffee machine any more likely to blow out water wise than a dishwasher say?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 32272E3E3229295D0 link=1244161210/10#10 date=1244237294
                        Is a coffee machine any more likely to blow out water wise than a dishwasher say?
                        Perhaps not.  We tend to think that these episodes dont happen, or wont happen to us.  I worked in the call centre/insurance field for some time.  It does happen, and its an every day occurrence.

Comment

SSR = Solid state relay (no moving parts - but a bit more $)

My coffee machine is more likely to leak because I connected it up.

Having said that - I turn off the washing machine taps too when I am not using them.

Comment

Thanks for that Piccolo Late.

I understand that flooding can happen, but what I am saying is that no one (no one I know of and I bet its less than 1%) turn off the tap to their dishwasher when they go out for an hour (and its just as likely to happen if your out for an hour compared to 2 weeks on holiday really) so likewise they wouldnt do it for a plumbed in machine...

Cheers

Comment

I would like to follow-up on the fitting of an SSR on my next machine when I take delivery of it.

Sadly, I have been meaning to do this on my existing machine for some time now and havent got there yet.

What SSR would I need for a 15 amp machine and where would I get one?

Thanks,
                              Paolo

Comment

Working...
                              X