Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancillio S20 midi - can anyone advise!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancillio S20 midi - can anyone advise!??

Hi,

Im looking at buying one of the above (2 group/single steam) from someone who I dont know...

I had a few questions:
    • How much would be a fair price to pay? (It works fine but I dont know how old it is or when it was serviced last.)
    • What maintenance issues can I expect to keep an eye out for?
    • Are these a good model?
    • Who is the best service centre to use on the Gold Coast?!

Plus any other tid-bits anyone has to offer!!!

Thanks a heap!

PS. Whats the best place to get VERY freshly roasted coffee on the GC!? (Were reeeeally picky! :P)

Re: Rancillio S20 midi - can anyone advise!??

Hi Autorock:

There are few technician on the Gold Cast, best choice go to your local cafe and ask them who service there machine, and if they are any good.

Things to look up for a second hand machine.

* Where the group handle sit on it 5 - 6 - 7 oclock
    * Make a coffee and see if leaks when you are making coffee - if leaks coffee needs new seal
    * Steam is dry or wet, sometimes if is wet steam is because machine overfill, level regulators probes need to be clean
    * Steam leakage from anywhere.
    Most important: Take a glass of water from the hot water outlet and see which color is and if smells. this will tell you if the boiler is contaminated or not

Anything we can do to help let us know.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Not sure on the S20 but make sure it has a Pump either in it or supplied with it. Obvious that might be but add lots of $$ if ther isnt one The Z9s I have are external.

Looking at what similar vintage machines are bringing on Ferralbay $4-500 is in the ballpark some are asking more than that that have bee "fully serviced : " but they arent necessarily getting the $$. And see it working before you part with your hard earned.

Comment

Originally posted by 3235313E363C29393E37500 link=1245304773/2#2 date=1245312084
        Pump either in it or supplied with it
        They have an internal pump.

Originally posted by 3235313E363C29393E37500 link=1245304773/2#2 date=1245312084
        Looking at what similar vintage machines are bringing on Ferralbay $4-500 is in the ballpark some are asking more than that that have bee "fully serviced " but they arent necessarily getting the $$
        Id say about $700+ depending on condition. In times few years I ahve seen them sell between $800 and $1600. But in my opinion second hand machines have gone down in price quite a lot in the last year.

Are you talking about getting it for a shop? The midi has about a 5 or 6 litre boiler, so it wont have the steam power of the larger 2 groups. It still plenty of steam though.

Originally posted by 3125243F223F333B500 link=1245304773/0#0 date=1245304773
        What maintenance issues can I expect to keep an eye out for?
        quite a lot, like any other machine. pressurestat, touchpads, steam/hot water taps dripping, 2/3 way valve condition, group seals, etc. Some cheap to fix, and others quite expensive.

Originally posted by 3125243F223F333B500 link=1245304773/0#0 date=1245304773
        Are these a good model?
        I have no issues with mine.

I would make sure you go and inspect it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your feedback...

Its for home use only so Im not fussed about the capacity (I used to have a Francis Francis X1 which did drive me nuts if I was making any more than one cup!)

Regardless of the condition, if I buy it, Ill get is serviced to get off to a good start.

I have a Mazzer Mini to go with it...

Ill be going to inspect tomorrow and hopefully come home with a boot full of Rancilio!

Are these fine to run on a regular home power point?!? Im assuming it is!!

Comment

it si 15amp plug.

Comment

manual:

http://www.manualnguide.com/dl/9978/

Id make sure electronics work as supposed to, and also motor/pump ok. If these are good, id hope a service wouldnt be too expensive. You can easily pull off cup warmer with 2 screws, and then side panels lift off - just to check nothing looks really wrong inside. Try and get their flexible pipes, filter, and pressure limiter if they will give you them also. Dont worry about the ugly panels - it cost me about $50 to get them powdercoated to look nice and not red or light grey or green!

Comment

Working...
              X