Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toy (GS/3)

Ciao All,

Ive just had my first play with my new toy - La Marzocco GS/3.  

Purchased from Talk Coffee, the only tough bits were deciding to buy it, and then waiting for delivery.

First impressions are impressive (yeah, I know that isnt good prose, but Im a bit wired).

Shot clarity is terrific.  Lots of flavours, really well defined.  Yes, I know I want to find this, but I reckon there is something in the cup.

My comparison machine is a Giotto Premium, with thermostability mod (done by Chris), which I think would be considered a pretty good machine.  The GS/3 gives more "clarity" (at least at first impression it does), with the Giotto shots seeming a bit muddier.  

Steaming performance is incredible.  Even the pimped Giotto is blown away.  I dont steam that much milk, I am more of an espresso drinker, but still make the occasional cafe latte.  I am going to have to relearn my technique, just to take into account this much power.

So there it is.  First impressions are great.  More to follow (if anybody is interested).

Ciao,

shaun

Re: New toy (GS/3)

Nice shaun, nice pickup. Useless telling us about it without the piccies!!! Post em up!!!

Comment

yeah what dan said!
      sweet getup mate. enjoy the clarity that is probably quite hard to find in other machines.

aaron

Comment

Nice one Shaun
        What grinder did you pair the GS3 with

KK

Comment

Spice grinder ;D

JOKE

Comment

Originally posted by 2C2E222A2A24233E4D0 link=1246097816/4#4 date=1246108224
            Spice grinder  ;D

JOKE
            Congrats Shaun- It was a big day for Talk Coffee with 2 GS/3 machines (including the one I had ordered for me ) going to happy CSers...

We look forward to further updates!

Chris

Comment

Crikey someones got some coin to spare! Enjoy your toy. Will this be your final machine? Im only a novice but dont think theres anything better (or more expensive) to upgrade to.

Comment

Originally posted by 2223293A24213B480 link=1246097816/6#6 date=1246116089
                Crikey someones got some coin to spare!  Enjoy your toy.  Will this be your final machine?  Im only a novice but dont think theres anything better (or more expensive) to upgrade to.
                For me, if there were winnings and it was only 1 group, it would have to be a speedster...

Comment

Originally posted by 1D425A4C474C4049494A4A424E412F0 link=1246097816/7#7 date=1246141555
                  For me, if there were winnings and it was only 1 group, it would have to be a speedster...
                  Due form or function?  (or both?)

Hmm...edit for clarity:

"Because their performance is equal and you prefer the sexy stylings of the Speedster? Or you think the Speedster outperforms the GS3"

Fanks 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 7C494443776B474E4E4D4D280 link=1246097816/5#5 date=1246110773
                    Congrats Shaun- It was a big day for Talk Coffee with 2 GS/3 machines (including the one I had ordered for meCry) going to happy CSers...

We look forward to further updates!

Chris
                    Thank for letting me have yours Chris!!

After 1.5 days, I have found that the gs/3 REALLY amplifies the flavor profile of the coffee.

The kenyan was noticeably brighter compared to the VBM.

The steam is just extremely dry and when I get the milk right, quality of microfoam is superb. Had to turn down the steam pressure. It was heating up a pitcher of milk in 3 seconds.

Will get some pictures up soon

Comment

What grinder did you pair the GS3 with

I use Illy preground.

shaun

Comment

Sorry, just jerking the chain.

I use Illy preground tins to store beans in, sometimes.

My grinder is currently a Mazzer Mini.  The whole grinder thing is a work in progress.

Photos to follow (Chris insisted!).

shaun

Comment

Whew!!! For a second there.........

Comment

Has anyone seen the slayer espresso machines with the reflective sheet of stainless steel on the drip tray to reflect naked extractions?

Currently trying to look for materials to do something similar to the gs/3....

Comment

You might try the pics from SCAA as I seem to recall there being one of those in the collection.

Java "Hhhmmm....Bright & Shinys!" phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X