Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Machine: BFC Classica Help

Hi guys,

Was wondering if you could help me out here.  ive recently aquired a BFC Classica (Will post photos when im at home)
    mod edit commercial link removed

It was aquired from a friend who sold his service station.  Hes not very knowledable in espresso related products, so couldnt tell me if anything was wrong with it, or if it was missing any parts.

I, myself have only recently gotten into the whole espresso scene and have been messing around with a breville es800 since the start of the year.  ive learnt alot reading this forum and felt i was getting somewhere with the domestic machine, but now it feels like ive been thrown in the deep end again with this new commercial machine.

its quite scarey not knowing how it works or whats missing or if its faulty.

My questions are:  im not sure if you can see well in the picture, but there is a gauge in the bottom left corner.  there seems to be 2 dials  in there the one on the right looks like a pressure gauge (i think) i assumed this because it says "bar" at the bottom.  the dial reads 0, 1, 1.8, 2.5  the gauge is shown red from 1.8 - 2.5

the 2nd dial which is on the left goes from 0 - 15.  the dials on it read 0,5,10,15.  and from 8-10 its red.

im sorry about this, ill post pics up as soon as i can.

Can anyone tell me what these dials are for?  and if so, how do i read them and are they relevant?  i tried reading up on pressure and all that, but its very confusing, id love to learn though.

my 2nd question is it seems to be a plumbed machine, ive got the hose that is suppose to connect to a tap or filter, but i have no idea how to get that going.  i was sucessful in just using a bucket of water and sticking the hose in that.  im currently renting so major modifications to furniture isnt possible for me.  is there an easy way to get this hooked up to a tap?  or is using the bucket of water trick sufficient.  ive also read about a flojet pump for bottled water, apparently that works great for pumping water into the machine from a bottle.

maybe i should try emailing BFC for a manual?

Any help or more information on this machine will be greatly appricated guys.

Cheers,

Re: New Machine: BFC Classica Help

Originally posted by 6A6A6A6F6E6573000 link=1248655064/0#0 date=1248655064

My questions are:  im not sure if you can see well in the picture, but there is a gauge in the bottom left corner.  there seems to be 2 dials  in there the one on the right looks like a pressure gauge (i think) i assumed this because it says "bar" at the bottom.  the dial reads 0, 1, 1.8, 2.5  the gauge is shown red from 1.8 - 2.5

the 2nd dial which is on the left goes from 0 - 15.  the dials on it read 0,5,10,15.  and from 8-10 its red.

i,
    i would say the right one is the pressure of the boiler should be on about 1.2  ish when hot Pstat should turn OFF  the element around here and turn back on to keep it here (cycle)
    2nd gauge sounds like pump pressure 9 bar when brewing sounds about right

i plumb my old girl into the sink taps, but i am only on a temporary basis (moving house very soon) i just unscrew the cold tap and screw on the coffee hose, drain direct to sink via plastic hose
    you could run a 3 way off the sink and pick up a hose, i use a metal sheathed hose (washing machine) from bunnings. i would put in a tap on the coffee side to allow water to be turned of while off and absent etc for a more semi permanent.

you should have a filter and pressure regulator too, my new venue will have these.

Buying filtered in a tank may solve these water issues

take your fittings from the coffee machine end with you when you buy any piping i found mine where different to "normal" aussie fittings at bunnings and needed a "joiner" that i also got there.

good luck

this thread needs pictures :0

Comment

Heres the machine, semi cleaned up.

Heres the gauge.

After turning it on for about 30mins, the gauge was set to about 1.3 (shown in the picture). which sounds about right from what youve said Maheel.

And yeah, i found that when i pull a shot, the water pressure gauge goes up to about 9. so it sounds like its in working order.

The only problem at the moment is that the water comes out very dirty. Like at the start the water came out kind of milky, so i just kept running the water until it ran out and repeated about twice now. at the moment the water is almost clearer but there seems to be alot of coffee grinds in it. not sure how they got in there, ive tried cleaning the group head and did a couple of flushes using the blind filter.

Comment

thats a nice looking machine well worth your efforts

could be a few issues in regards to milky water, but i am no authority on the subject and it might pay to have a qualified person look / service it.

1.milk contamination of the boiler, this is where milk can be sucked back up the steam wand.
        2. could be stirred up sediment and also grinds, but they should not be in the boiler only the group head area.
        3. mine (lot older than yours) had some flakes coming out (not grinds) and its more like bit of scale from the tank. has cleared up since i did a big flush
        could be other issue, others might chime in

have you removed the shower screen from the group head?
        try a few more back flushes with the screens off, also with the blind in and sort of wiggle the group handle in the "unlocked" position so water pours out the side of the group handle

you could also remove the dispersion block behind the shower screen and the group seals (carefully)to clean out the group heads even more.

are you using backflush detergents? they help clean it a lot better and are a must really

when the machine is cold you could also open the drain plug, mine runs on a pipe to the drain under my drip tray (square black plastic tray) from the bottom of the boiler.  You can tell its a drain as it has a stopper nut on the end and  i assume yours has one.
        i filled with water via taking out the OPV and  a funnel on the top and opening the drain then repaeated a few times.
        This imo stops having to keep running the rubbish into the groups, i did have my whole boiler out as well but.

whats the water taste like hot and cold?? might help others here with answers. Mine tasted oily  / stagnant for a little bit even after a clean out hard to describe but i think just old coffee oils taste  :P
        I had the flakes for about 3-4 tanks now seems clear.

Yours is way newer looking than my old Carimali.... NICE  
        i want shiny stainless steel to     lol

where are you located, based on the picture of the weather boards on the house my guess is Queensland? Someone may be able to recommend the best service agent for your area if you need one.

Leeham

Comment

took the day off and spent it cleaning and flushing out the water from the machine.  the water comes out crystal clearish now (drinkable i think).  i removed the shower screen like you suggested and i was filthy in there, everything was covered in thick sticky coffee.  once that was cleaned it turned out ok.

Im currently not using any detergents, but will look into it very soon.

You mentioned something about opening the drain plug, when the machine is cold.  where abouts is this located?  when i open up drip tray panel, theres is a black switch which is left horizontal, the sign says to leave it in the ON position, which is horizontal.  im assuming its not it because when i turn it, it doesnt seem like anything happens.(see below)

The water comes out hot, very hot.  When the machine is just on and in heating mode, i would pour a few water shots.  the water would usually come out milky, but as the water heats up it tends to clear up...  the wierd thing is, when the machine is heated up, and i pour a water shot, the water comes out looking like theres particles in it, but leavng it alone for a few seconds it starts to clear up to normal water, im not sure if this is normal, maybe its because its hot water? or pressurised water? lol.

So, at the moment it seems to be working ok.  Im able to pull less than decent shots with it, but thats because ive been using very old stale beans just for testing.  i tried it once with fresh beans and it turned out very nice, heaps of crema, just havnt been able to grind it correctly to get a consistant time.

Steaming is my biggest concern.  It literally scares me using its steamer.  Its a 4 hole tip, and the steam that comes out of it is insane, its kind of like a smoke machine.  Ive burnt my hands about 5 times trying to steam.  the milk always turns out watered down and runny, unable to get any microfoam because if i try to let air in, milk squirts all over the place (due to the 4 hole tip i think) and i get huge bubbles.  i can kind of turn down the steam output but its still very hard to steam with and i do think its just too much steam comming out.  

maybe theres a way to tighten some valve to tone down the steam, not sure.  Or im thinking of purchasing a 1 hole tip, or something very similar to what i have with my breville  :-/.  

Anyways, yeah you guessed right, i am located in queesnaland, brisbane.  if anyone can recommend a mobile service agent that would be awesome.

heres some more pics if anyone is interested

underneth the drip tray

Inside the machine after a rough scrub down

Comment

lol those weatherboards and stumps gave it away, i have owned a few of them.

I would have thought (i was just guessing) that a drain pipe would have flowed to that square black plastic box where the waste water goes under the drip tray. maybe you dont get one? check any pipes or plug bolts (sump) that come from the or disregard that idea. You most likley have pumped heaps of fresh into it anyway.

i think your milky water is just hot water, taste some once its cooled.
            but i reckon your fine.

try to get some proper cleaner like http://www.bomborasupplies.com.au/product.php?productid=259&cat=6153&page=1
            it will help a lot and you can soak the screens etc in it.
            even ask your local coffee shop for a few spoon fulls, if they use it.....

STEAM lol i have the same problem, i use my small Brasilia Lady every day and can get OK foam, when I fire up the Carimali and blow milk all over the place. Its got 4 hole tips to, I am going to use a bit of heavy gauge copper wire to fill 2-3 holes to tame it a little.
            Its just to quick on 200mls of milk for me.

go check out Veneziano Caffe in West end
            http://www.venezianocoffee.com.au/first-pour
            they will sort you out for beans and gear

Keep at it, thats a sweet looking machine
            and it looks like your in t shirt and boardies.....
            lucky bastards, i really miss QLD, verandas and XXXX lol

Comment

Originally posted by 5959595C5D5640330 link=1248655064/4#4 date=1248775187
              Anyways, yeah you guessed right, i am located in queesnaland, brisbane.if anyone can recommend a mobile service agent that would be awesome.

heres some more pics if anyone is interested
              Your first 3 pic links are broken.

Java "Prefers to attach rather than link" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 416A7D6A7B6362676E0B0 link=1248655064/6#6 date=1248820321
                Your first 3 pic links are broken. Sad

Java "Prefers to attach rather than link" phile
                I see the pictures just fine

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 12363F3F3C3C0612362A3436590 link=1248655064/7#7 date=1248821848
                  Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E7A737370704A5E7A66787A150 link=1248655064/7#7 date=1248821848

KK
                    Originally posted by 417D607B717067727A71150 link=1248655064/8#8 date=1248824835
                    Ditto.
                    Yeah theyre now appearing here as well.

Java "Still prefers to attach rather than link " phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 7B7B7B7E7F7462110 link=1248655064/4#4 date=1248775187
                       the water would usually come out milky, but as the water heats up it tends to clear up...  the wierd thing is, when the machine is heated up, and i pour a water shot, the water comes out looking like theres particles in it, but leavng it alone for a few seconds it starts to clear up to normal water, im not sure if this is normal, maybe its because its hot water? or pressurised water? lol.
                      I see this effect with my SB EM6910 and have realised the particles or milky effect I see are simply tiny bubbles. Within ~10secs the water is crystal clear with no sediment at the bottom.

Comment

Its a great looking machine. Everything looks brand new.

Nice pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E53545D523C0 link=1248655064/11#11 date=1248870458
                          Its a great looking machine. Everything looks brand new.

Nice pickup.
                          I was thinking the same thing

KK

Comment

Im dragging up this old thread for a question about a similar machine and the photos are relevant.

I have here the big brother BFC, in not quite as beautiful condition.

The left hand gauge (the pump gauge?) on it is not going below about 7 bar when the machine is off, advancing into the red zone when its on and idle.

I figure something is full of water and needs draining, Im no expert and dont want to start messing around with it in the back (although I am very excited about learning about whats in there), but if there is an easy way to release that pressure that anyone knows about it would be much appreciated.

Comment

And does anyone know if there is any literature available on these machines, service manuals and such?

Comment

Working...
                              X