Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The freebie San Marino restoration has begun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The freebie San Marino restoration has begun.

Hi fellow CSers,
    The SM 2 grouper I graciously acquired from MichelBlackwood nearly a month ago is now in pieces and the restoration has begun. After visiting Bruno my repairman friend and having a look over, it was decided that this girl was well and truly worth the investment of the restoration, the major problems being a non working touch pad, a couple of solenoids requiring replacement, one tight steam valve and one serious cleanup.
    As this is my first time going through this purpose, I am grateful for the info forwarded to me by Jeff (ccc2), I now feel confident with the progress.
    At this point in time, the machine has been stripped back to the chassis, and there is evidence that one of the groups had been leaking at the connection between heat exchange and group flange. What should I do to bring the chassis back to a neat finish, it appears to have a gold passivated finish over steel? Do I rub it back with wet and dry and then respray a finish or do I get it sandblasted? What have you other restorers done? Or do I just leave it be?
    While waiting for some cleaning supplies and parts from Bombora, I decided to purchase some citric acid from Brewcraft and have descaled the groups, boiler and element back to bare copper and brass; I used 25gms per 1 litre of boiling water which seemed to do the trick eventually, some pieces requiring 2 or 3 sessions, and Im happy with the outcome. Ill post some picks just as soon as my daughter finds the camera cable.
    Second question, do I source gaskets for the boiler and groups from Coffeeparts or are there other sponsors out there who could assist? The gaskets I pulled out were Teflon so I would be replacing with the same.
    I have also discovered a guy in Glenelg, SA who makes twisted wire and nylon cleaning wands to order, whether it be 9mm by 300mm long to 2mm by 5000mm long and extremely well priced. So I can now have a different wand for every differently sized pipe.
    Sorry Ive rattled on but its just that Im a little/lot excited with this project. And any help will be very much appreciated.

Will post again soon,
    Sooty

Re: The freebie San Marino restoration has begun.

I have added some photos into photobucket for viewing, they are of the San Marino SME-2 in various stages of dismantling.
    I also contacted CMA in Italy and discovered that the unit was manufactured in Feb 2000.

Photos of the cleanup and reassembly will follow.

Cheers,
    Sooty

Comment

great pics
      good to see it underway

Comment

Nice picture~~
        BTW you said you ganna send me a copy of San Marino manual~~I still havent recieved anything yet

Comment

Hi Tony, I sent you the manual on the 19th, but it is a very large file so maybe your email server wouldnt allow it (I think it was a hotmail account). Do you have another email address I can try?

Sooty

Comment

Re: preparing the chassis for painting

I hand sanded the chassis and all the panels back to bare metal, but its not a job I would volunteer for ever again..... I would gladly pay the going price to get it all sand blasted and just do the final prep by hand for a smooth finish.

I spray painted the frame myself but the outside panels were done by a panel beater. Cost me about $250 for a nice metallic silver. I found the panel shop (and theres also a paint removal shop around the corner) just off Marion road near the officeworks there.

The other tip is not to use high gloss paint. I had a big problem with tiny bits of fluff & dust drying in the paint, and the gloss makes it really visible....

Comment

I vote for sand blasting as well

A great paint finish is Pearl not to shiny not to flat

KK

Comment

The panels are all actually in a very good condition, I think a stainless steel cleaner would do the trick. It is the chassis that I was most concerned about. So I think sandblasting is the way to prepare.
                Borat, is the paint removal place in Norfolk Rd? Also did you spray with something like Killrust or a paint you would use around a fireplace? Or would powder coating work?

Cheers

Comment

You can do it with rust-resistant powdercoat

KK

Comment

I wouldnt worry too much about the chassis as you cant really see it once all the panels are in place. The chassis metal has a corrosive treatment applied and if you intend painting it, just make sure you have a sealant/undercoat that will bond to the metal surface properly.

Check your jets in the groups as they will be in pretty bad condition looking at the inside of your boiler & HX. Suggest replacing all o-rings even if they look ok, especially steam arms.

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by 64646435070 link=1249040961/9#9 date=1249215415
                      chassis metal has a corrosive treatment applied
                      thisd explain why we see so many rusty San Marino machines

Comment

Re: Prep of the chassis

Yes, thats it in norfolk road. After sanding by hand, any surface rust that was there came off as well, so I just painted it without a primer (killrust). I ended up doing about 3 or 4 coats, sanding back with a 1200 grit between each paint. The sanding was because Im a lousy spray painter and ended up each time with tiny fluff and dust drying in the paint....

The other problem I had was trying to find 5mm captive speed nuts which Cimbali use all over the chassis. These were corroded and I couldnt bear to put them back on a nice new looking frame. Coffex didnt have any so Im now looking at fastener places to try and find some.

Comment

Well, I did it the hard way, I rubbed back every piece of the chassis by hand using wet and dry (there are 27 pieces) and gave each a coat of light grey primer. The have also received the first coat of paint, I decided on a hammer finish by White Knight in Alpine Green, which was pretty close to the original. I have to wait another day before I can spray the 2nd and final coat. I was told that the hammer finish as two coats was a strong finish and would also conceal any irregularities in the chassis. The second point didnt concern me as the chassis was in a reasonable condition before I started.
                          All in all, the chassis will have taken me 4 days to restore.
                          Not bad for an amateur!

Comment

Originally posted by 2924392A3F7A79784B0 link=1249040961/11#11 date=1249514429
                            The other problem I had was trying to find 5mm captive speed nuts which Cimbali use all over the chassis.   These were corroded and I couldnt bear to put them back on a nice new looking frame.   Coffex didnt have any so Im now looking at fastener places to try and find some.
                            Gday Borat,

Give some thought to using "Thread Inserts", namely these... http://www.aerobolt.com.au/Products/.../Inserts.shtml . They provide a much more permanent solution and are very strong. Worth a look.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

AVKs inserts DO NOT SPIN
                              I wish Rancilio would use them, Silvia ones do spin

Comment

Working...
                              X