Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built-in coffee machines

Hi
    We are building a house and I wanted to get a built-in coffee machine (preferably with grinder incorporated). I would prefer plumbed-in but not completely necessary. I am the only one in the house that drinks coffee regularly, but I drink quite a lot of it (4-6 cups a day, double to quad shots, cappucino to espresso). I get through about 1kg of coffee beans every 4-6 weeks). I also have friends that appreciate good coffee.

Can anyone recommend a good built-in coffee machine that would suit my purpose?

Yours in Hope
    Whatwall

Re: Built-in coffee machines

Welcome Whatwall

Try Cosmorex (from list of sponsors on the left). They sell an "Opera" machine that fits your requirements. I know nothing about these so I cant offer an opinion.

Check the bottom of this page: http://www.cosmorexcoffee.com.au/coffee-machines/home/default.aspx

Comment

It looks like something out of Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by 536F7269636275606863070 link=1251867705/2#2 date=1251876214
        It looks like something out of Star Trek.
        Beam me up a ristretto Scotty

Comment

Might double as a doorless microwave :

Comment

Hi Whatwall and welcome,

You will find that few here will recommend any built in machine. The overwhelming majority of them are overpriced, rebadged generic superautos and at best, they will produce an average result

Why not plumb in a beautiful HX or dual boiler machine and get a great grinder and make a statement on your bench?

Your taste buds will thank you every morrning...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 065941575C575B5252515159555A340 link=1251867705/5#5 date=1251881567
              The overwhelming majority of them are overpriced, rebadged generic superautos and at best, they will produce an average result
              On appearances (from the pic) DalTio doesnt quite fit that description . I can make out a group handle and steam arm. Certainly not rebadged as they have some unique designs here: http://www.daltio.com/home_professionali.htm I would be concerned about sourcing spare parts as it is by no means a common brand

Anyway, I was going to suggest what 2mcm said. Having a proper espresso machine gives you more options and you would likely get more for your $. I would certainly do some research and weigh up the pros and cons of the sort of machine you are after against a stand-alone espresso machine + grinder combo

Comment

There isnt much around that many on here would recomend as making great coffee however I doubt many people on this forum have had a play with them accross the board.

As 2mcm said most are overpriced superautos, There is no reason that any of these would make a better coffee then their non built in cousins.

From a quick google it seems as if their are a couple of semi autos out there. There is an AEG-electrolux one which on paper and from pictures looks like it may be capable of good espresso however information is a little scarce. Things like material and size of boiler, type of grinder used etc, dont appear to be things that the average consumer of these machines cares to much about.

Another option if you want to reduce clutter is a machine like a Rancillio Lucy or Lelit Combi. These combine grinder and brewer into one unit and are very boxy  shaped. With a modified steam wand these machines might sit quite nicely in a well designed niche.

Comment

id suggest keeping the cupboard space occupied by a built in machine for bean and roaster storage (hint hint) and going out and investing in a stand alone machine

ive used my fair share of auto machines and have never been impressed by one

id take muppet mans advice about a combo machine, the Lucy reminds me of silvia and rocky in a compact package and it will make your friends jealous

Comment

Thank you for your opinions. I was hoping for a machine with which I could make coffee the way I like it that was integral to the kitchen, without making too much mess with the grounds.

The designed space has a drawer below for accessories and cupboard space above for supplies/cups etc. From the discussion so far, it seems that the best I can reasonably hope for is to get a plumbed in machine to sit in the space. I would like the grinder integral and be able to texture the milk at the same time as brewing. What sort of price am I looking at for a good quality entry level machine with these attributes? Note: the space is 60cm wide.

Regards
                    Whatwall

Comment

I stand to be corrected
                      But there is no entry level quality machine (as opposed to an appliance) that makes coffee & steams milk at the same time

That is the realm of HX (heat exchanger) machines

KK

Comment

Im assuming since this is in the $3000+ section that your budget for the combo is sitting somewhere around that. Sounds like you need to call a sponsor and talk about your particular needs/wants etc. (or alternatively you could use the email all sponsors address)

Comment

I seem to see lots and lots of these on "auction" sites, one site has heaps and heaps of them........ they may be brand new but there is a reason the seller has them on "auction" and not selling them normally

not saying they are no good but i think they may be nothing but trouble after a while and then you will have a nice hole in the kitchen where thing "used" to live.... or a dead machine stuck to the wall, that may now be just a clock......

imo, get the cabinet maker to set you up a nice hole for a real machine, then in the future you can take it with you or replace it. or move it out easily for repairs / service. have the sparky run a power point and maybe even plumb in some water and a drain for future proofing for a possible fully plumbed machine.

or if all that fails, sell up and move closer to a coffee shop.....?

good luck on your quest

Comment

Working...
                          X