Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Require Information on Expobar Megacrem 2 Group

Hello CS

Need some advice, and this is the best place to be!

Currently in the process of starting up Mobile Coffee, just something small for now, just on the weekends to keep my passioon fueled (because working 5days a week isnt enough).

The questions I have are; My Set up is Expobar Medacrem 2 Group 15Amp Machine and Diamond Grinder. I have the machine setup with a Bayonet Filter and a one-way-valve, I started it up on the weekend, and felt I may need another pump to keep up with demand if I do get under the pump, I found the machine pulled good shots and steamed well but I think the Expobars water pump is under too much stress, having to suck the water up through valve, the filter and the braided hoses, would I be correct in saying this? Could anyone recommend a solution (remembering its mobile).

Another problem I found, when I turned the machine on the left group electronic pad was flashing at me, I turned the machine off and on again and it seemed to go away. When I was pressing the 30ml shot button it wasnt pouring the same, some times it would pour 15ml other times it was pouring 45ml (using the same grind which was perfect on the other group) so I suggest an electrical fault, but does this mean something needs replacing, I dunno, lol.

Anywho thats all the information I will pump from you guys....for now. Thankyou in advance for your help and advice

Cheers,

Re: Require Information on Expobar Megacrem 2 Group

To add an additional pump you would just need a small pump (generally 12v) to add a bit of pressure, that said for small amounts of work the pump will handle the job (from experience).

As for the fault it could be the flowmeter?

Comment

Agree - you can run the rotary vane pump and it will suck from a bucket or jerry can, but the lifespan will be reduced depending upon how much use it gets.

I am surprised it can work through a cartridge filter and my suggestion is that you spend $25 on a couple more jerry cans and pre-fill your water beforehand to remove the need for the filter, e.g. filter your water when filling up the jerry cans.

As more water runs through the filter, it will start to accumulate particles (depending upon how bad you inflow water is) and this will certainly impose additional strain on the coffee machines internal water pump.

The alternative is about $220 all up for a 12V marine pump (available from most marines/boat places) and a decent sized transformer (Jaycar). When you consider a rotary vane pump is anywhere from $110 - $250, it makes good sense to get yourself a marine pump/transformer combo to mitigate the risk of a pump failure when your working.

With a marine pump, these can essentially run dry without too much damage and you can also fit your water filters, etc. so you dont have to stress so much watching the water levels.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A5A5A0B390 link=1253525075/2#2 date=1253624683
        and my suggestion is that you spend $25 on a couple more jerry cans and pre-fill your water beforehand to remove the need for the filter, e.g. filter your water when filling up the jerry cans.

With a marine pump, these can essentially run dry without too much damage and you can also fit your water filters, etc. so you dont have to stress so much watching the water levels.
        i was also going to suggest this idea (prefill) or the marine bilge pump is a good one to.

as for your volume issue, if it has 2 flow meters you could pull the "top" out of the working one and swap them over to see if this reverses the problem. i had a volumetric flow issue and thougth it might be the electrical, it was a not working flow meter "top / signal receiver"

this is the part we are talking about and will be on the pipes somewhere and you can just pull the top out. inside there is a little thing that spins around with some magnets so check it spins well
        http://www.coffeeparts.com/misc/flowmeters.html

Comment

Thanks for the responses, plenty of things to look into!

Regarding the Pump and Transformer combo, does anyone on this site supply this type of equipment?

May be a stupid question but does the transformer act so I am able to plug the Marine Pump into a 10amp power supply?

Thankyou Thankyou

Comment

Go to the marine shops and look for your pump first - search for a Shurflo or Flojet 12V DC unit. The litres per minute are not that great on a coffee machine - nothing like a boats bilge pump.

Once you know the specs of your pump, e.g. voltage and amps, then you can go to Jaycar and ask for a transformer that does the required job in volts + amps.

The transformer will be plugged into your standard 10A supply.

Have a search in snobs for Davids post from a year or so ago.

Comment

Working...
            X