Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating Faemas boiler- insul-brite

Hi All
    we insulated the Faema Due Ss boiler with insul-brite from Spotlight- it cost approx $10. This allowed for two layers.
    Whats even better is that the percentage boiler on time has reduced from 10.2% to 6.5%. Our 3 monthly bill looks like going down from $125 to $79.
    My wife comes from a tailoring background and cut and stitched what she called "another set of boilers pyjamas"- the other set was for an older Bezzera a few years ago. It had been ceramic paper- nasty stuff. My wife had cut it and I wired it on- she ended up with a rash on her arms and I think my throat is still holding onto some fibres. This new stuff is very easy to use.
    Id like to thank Greg Wormald for alerting us to this great product- created for sewers to make oven gloves.
    Brett

Re: Insulating Faemas boiler- insul-brite

Nice swaddling job.

What are the materials specs? Im not finding a page that actually gives any actual specs on it. Like what its insulation ability and continuous temperature rating are. Any idea? :-?

Edited in a bit later: I see from GregWormalds post that it has a working temperature of 150C. An interesting term. It really doesnt say it can take 150C continuously, but it certainly implies it.

Java "Such a cute baby!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi javaphile
      I used Greg Wormalds specs:

Insul-Bright
      93.75% polyester (working temperature 150°C)
      6.25% metallized polyester (Mylar--melting temperature 250°C)

Not sure where Greg got them from- Ill PM him. Ive assumed about 120°C at my 1.1 bars. Ill keep a close eye on it. Considering the stuff is for oven mitts Im hopeful

Comment

Ill be going to Spotlight for my next set of thermals, me thinks! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2B3A333A323E2C2B3A2D5F0 link=1255582897/2#2 date=1255587195
          Ive assumed about 120°C at my 1.1 bars. Ill keep a close eye on it. Considering the stuff is for oven mitts Im hopeful
          Yeah, it certainly seems a good match on the surface. Id like to know all the specific details on it though before I use it to wrap up here. Plus I kinda like having such a nice hand and plate warmer when it gets cool here.

Java "Still considering" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Excellent mate...arrhhh....the Due

Comment

I got an email from Greg Wormald where he said he got generic figures off the net, so I did a bit of searching myself. It seems that mylar and polyester have similar heat properties- melting at 250C and softening at 200C+
              http://www.grafixplastics.com/mylar_prop.asp
              http://www.fibre2fashion.com/industry-article/22/2108/problems-and-their-remedies-in-polyester-processing-part-i1.asp
              http://www.industryplayer.com/licenceinfo.php?licid=001354

Things are looking OK I think
              Brett

Comment

Hi all,

As far as I could discover, Mylar is actually polyester sheet, aluminised.

The data for all types of polyester fibre insulation was remarkably similar, with most places giving continuous working temperatures in the 150° to 170°C range. This might be a tad low for the exposed stem of the heating element but should be lots of leeway for the parts "cooled" by water or steam.

Nice job on the blanket, and nice results. I must get down to doing mine, although I dont think my construction is going to be that fancy.

Im not much of a sew-er--does your wife have any hints about making holes for the pipes and enabling the PJs to be put on? The only thing I can think of is slits, and a quick hand-stitch later.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg
                  we used slits cut from the edges to go around the the pipes, then we pulled the strips around the various pipes and Jane pulled the ends together and tacked them (a running stitch). At times she pushed the needle through the foil with tweezers. Two layers were done. I thought it would be best to put the shinier side of the material next to the boiler (youll see one side has the mylar film closer to the surface). Jane did a lot more handstitching than I would have bothered with, but thats just professional pride I think!
                  Brett
                  PS re the element, we left the material clear of that

Comment

Working...
                  X