Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izzo Alex Duetto II discussion thread

Izzo Alex Duetto
    [*]Dual boiler[*]Full stainless chassis[*]100% PID. No pressurestat as both steam and brew boilers are PID[*]Rotary pump[*]Tank and plumbed at the flick of a switch. Machine ships with both options[*]Power save mode- operate either boiler independently[*]Massive drip tray complete with drain kit

This baby will be on duty from tomorrow morning and Melbourne CSers are welcome to come for a look/play. Call or email as its looking like a busy weekend.

Who am I?  

Chris

Re: Izzo Alex Duetto II discussion thread

Izzo Alex Duetto
    [edit]PID on both brew and stem then I reckon its a Izzo Alex Duetto MK II if Im right do I win it [/edit]

Comment

Originally posted by 4D525849545A565E493B0 link=1260516381/2#2 date=1260523065
      I reckon its a Izzo Alex Duetto MK II
      You might be onto something there Vic...

You win the 1st shot

Comment

Very sexy.
        Im guessing by the category youve put this in we are over 3000, but is it under 4000?

Comment

Originally posted by 212D38381304292020352D3E4C0 link=1260516381/4#4 date=1260535543
          Very sexy.
          Im guessing by the category youve put this in we are over 3000, but is it under 4000?
          Hi Matt- Yes. Its looking like it would retail at a little over $4k, with a discounted introductory CS price for early adopters- dependent of the vaguaries of exchange rate, customs, Wayne Swann, and the 100 other middlemen- all of whom expect a cut for shuffling paper   :

Boy, its heavy as well...Im reckoning about 32kg empty!  ...Now to see if I can make it break.....

Comment

that sounds like real fun. Id come and watch if i didnt live 1500km away.

Comment

I fired it up this morning and will get back to it to pull some shots later on...

Initial impressions:[*]Big, big steam  [*]No cooling flush- as youd expect...[*]Not so big tank. Yet to measure it but I think its circa 2L as per VBM Piccolo etc...Great to plumb it if you can....[*]To allow for a big drip tray, the space between group and cup is tight. If youre a coffee mug mug, youre gonna have to drink 2 good cups instead[*]Like most other machines in this category, the brew and steam boiler switch independently with priority to the brew boiler. The cool thing though is that you can have them both on simultaneously if you have 15A to feed it....[*]PID displays both group and boiler temps alternately[*]The finish is really good. Its way better in the metal than in the pics. I am very pleasantly surprised. This machine looks and feels Italian, not Spanish
              Its a pretty big machine and is heavy. The handbook states 33kg and it feels every bit of that. Footprint is circa Bezz DG by my guesstimate...

I will come back to this thread with some impression on shots a little later on...

Comment

I was impressed with this machine initially but lost interest after finding out about some shortcomings. Communications with Duetto 2 owners around the world and hearing of their regrets discouraged me from waiting for its Australian debut. Dont know if youll break it short term but after a few hot Australian summers it might be a different story.

Having the internal pump situated directly over the motor is a dumb design. Inevitable leakage from the pump into the motor....$$$$ repairs.

There are also reports of internal cabinet temperatures being extreme. You can turn off the steam boiler when not required.... a good point.....but still too hot in there. In our hotter climate-I dont think so. There have also been reports of hassles when installing as a plumb-in machine. Do the reading on other sites. There is plenty there from those who have shelled-out the cash on one...

In my opinion there are compromised design points in the jamming of all of those goodies into a smallish package.

Maybe the importer and site sponsor E61 Espresso Machinery could give us an insight from their experience with the brand.

Comment

Interesting Paolo,

There have been lots of changes since the early iterations, so the comments of US owners are probably not relevant. Also, their machines are different to ours, configured for 110V and 15-20A

The case on our evaluation machine is cold to touch and its very well ventilated from the top to the cup warmer and now to the bottom as well. Internal temperatures are no higher than any other dual-boiler machine. My GS/3 is much hotter to touch.

I dont at this stage see the pump anatomy to be of concern. Youre only likely to see a leak in a 10 year old machine and any owner who ignored water on the bench would end up in trouble with any machine. Pump o-rings are cheap and easily replaced. Its why youd get your machine serviced

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 52636D6E6D020 link=1260516382/8#8 date=1260571300
                    I was impressed with this machine initially but lost interest after finding out about some shortcomings. Communications with Duetto 2 owners around the world and hearing of their regrets discouraged me from waiting for its Australian debut. Dont know if youll break it short term 2mcm but after a few hot Australian summers it might be a different story.
                    You should be very specific, especially when you dont seem to know what you are talking about. I have heard about many more "shortcomings" with other machines and the design of many machines either within or above the class of the Duetto leaves much to be desired. Nothings perfect, but certainly the impression you paint is unwarranted. I think its a fairly poor show when uninformed people make sweeping statements about a machine and design they know little about.

P.S. I wouldnt worry about a little water in the motor, and as has been stated once you see a leak on the bench, if its the pump then time to change it. I highly doubt any damage will happen to the RPM motor being used, unless its left leaking for some considerable time and the annual service checks should cover any long term weeping.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A6F786B6D0E0 link=1260516382/10#10 date=1260616477
                      I wouldnt worry about a little water in the motor

Comment

Originally posted by 383D2A393F5C0 link=1260516382/10#10 date=1260616477
                        P.S. I wouldnt worry about a little water in the motor, and as has been stated once you see a leak on the bench, if its the pump then time to change it. I highly doubt any damage will happen to the RPM motor being used, unless its left leaking for some considerable time and the annual service checks should cover any long term weeping.
                        Ignoring the fact that it is a sign of a problem some where...  Water and Electricity does not bode good for the user / any one who might touch the unit and the cct that it is all connected to.

Bjeck14 said it so well.....

Originally posted by 3E36393F376D685C0 link=1260516382/11#11 date=1260617812
                        davec wrote on Today at 22:14:
                        I wouldnt worry about a little water in the motor

Comment

Alrighty,

Leading this one back on topic and leaving those for whom the cups 1/2 empty to work it out amongst themselves :, I pulled about 80 shots yesterday in 3 sessions...

Impressions:[*]Brilliant steam and wand- We are talking VBM DS pressure and and Giotto style steam tip porting. Its excellent[*]No flush required. Just rinse and shoot[*]Its really quiet[*]The tank is small. Id plumb in if possible[*]The shots were as good as the best e-61 shots I have experienced[*]Space is a little tight between the group and drip tray. The machine ships with 2 portafilters, but with Expobar style domestic spouts.[*]Some of the laser cuts on the stainless are a little rough[*]Some flex in the group on load. It could be a little better braced.[*]Shesh its heavy....Did I mention that its heavy? :

For those who have requested specs:[*]Dimensions: WxDxH: 360 x 430 x 420[*]Weight: 32 kg[*]Water Supply: Removable 2.4 litre resevoir tank with low water sensor and included mains water connection[*]Voltage 220-240v-50hz 2550W maximum- (1150w in steam off mode) 1450-1500 with steam on and 1000w brew boiler. 100-150w for pump. Switched with priority to brew boiler on 10A or simultaneously on 15A mains.[*]Temperature Control PID for brew boiler and steam boiler to solid state relay. No pressurestat.[*]Boilers Twin Boilers 1.8 litre Steam, 0.8 litre brew boiler[*]Pump Commercial Rotary pump[*]Group Handles 2.  58 mm basket[*]Accessories Removable drip tray and cup warmer, blind, crappy plakky tamper

Would I have one on my home bench? At this stage of the testing process, probably yes. I suspect that the next logical step up from here would have to be a GS/3 or similar...

To be continued....

Chris

Comment

Upgradeitis is now starting to hurt 8-)
                            I want one !!

Comment

So Chris, how do you find this generally compares to the Minore III given there are a number of similarities between the two? Shot quality, build quality (can probably guess on that one :), steam power etc etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X