Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brasilia Gradisca

Hey all,

I just bought myself a 2 group Brasilia Gradisca. Got a good price for it too. Does anyone have one and have any advice for me. I pick it up on Sat and am very excited......

Nick

Re: Brasilia Gradisca

Nice buy Nick. Looks in great nick and as you said, great price (if it is the one Im thinking of).

It looked in a lot better condition than mine did: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248526256
    But I would advise to give it a run before you do anything - see if the thing actually works. And then dependant upon the result of that and the condition of the internals, a descale would be highly recommended. Perhaps replace the shower screens and group head gaskets?

Enjoy the journey!
    Cheers,
    Ben

Comment

Am I right in thinking that these things run on power or gas?

Comment

This will run on 240V power, most likely at 20amp

Comment

Thanks. It looks like a sweet machine. The duel e61 should be fun to play with..

Comment

I would advise a descale and spend money on a good filter setup , these machines DO NOT cope well with scale.
            Would also suggest replacing the gauze filter in the grouphead , its located under an allen head bolt on the top face of the group.

Comment

As it turns out i wanted to use this machine as a mobile machine.....However it has a 20 amp plug on the bloody thing so cant just use any old powerpoint. It may be for sale on Snobs soon....

Comment

whats the element size & whats the boiler size?

it might be possible to run a smaller wattage element (replace), but depending on the boiler size it might take to long to heat up and recover...

Comment

Hey
                  The boiler is about 11 litre. Replacing the element might be my only option.

Comment

http://www.coffeeparts.com/brasilia/brasilia-spare-parts-7.html

i see they do a 3000W element thats gets you into 15amp range.

give them a call and discuss, you should also pull the panels off yours and confirm what element is actually in it..... the plate on the side could be wrong
                    it should be stamped into the end where the wires go.

turn the power OFF and pull the plug 1st please.....

Comment

You may well find that the element is actually 3 elements. Simply dissconect one of the three and your happily under 15A. Thats what my Izzo has been changed to.

I did actually post a diagram last year but basically the some elements have 6 terminals for wiring the 3 seperate elements (my Izzo) or 4 terminals (my Rancilios) with one common and 3 actives.

Also before AM pipes in 240V power is LETHAL, if you dont know what to do get an electrician to sort it out

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. How do I convert Watts to Amps?

Comment

Power (watts) = V (volts) x I (amps)

so 240v x 10A = 2400 W (about the power of a large portable heater.

Most modern power circuits are built to handle more than 10A BUT that doesnt mean that ALL locations are up to the job, some of the old halls around my area you might set fire too . Obvious too the ability to punch out coffees quickly with two operators may be a bit more limited with the reduced power.

Comment

Re: 15 AMP Brasilia

Gday elover...

I know absolutely nothing about the specifics of your particular machine but the "usual" arrangement with the elements on machines such as this, is to have up to three of them connected in parallel so as to provide the necessary recovery energy to make the machine usable in a commercial environment.

Given that you intend using it at home, the same level of recovery is probably not required, although nice to have. To leave the machine as is, you would need to have a Sparky run a new dedicated 15/20A circuit from the Switchboard... This would be the easiest but not all that economical.

The next best thing, would be to have said Sparky check-out the wiring configuration of the Boiler Heating Elements and while he/she is there, to complete a safety check on the whole machine at the same time. More than likely, it will be possible to remove one or more of the Heating Elements connections such that the reduced power requirements can be accommodated by a common 10A GPO (Power Outlet). Decreasing the number of Elements in circuit will affect recovery time after depleting the volume of steam, but wont affect the overall quality of Steam available or the brewing circuit(s) efficiency.

One way to overcome the deficiency of Steam Recovery Time to some extent, would be to insulate the Boiler so as to reduce thermal losses and improve heating efficiency. Plenty of CSers with commercial machines in a home environment have done this to great effect at quite surprisingly low cost. A search through the CS history will turn up a lot of info about this.

Anyway mate, hope some of this info is helpful.....

All the best,
                            Mal.

Comment

[postsmovedhere1] 2 [postsmovedhere2] Brewing Equipment - Extreme Machines ($3000+) [move by] Mal.

Splitting up more or less the same topic across more than one thread only makes life difficult and confusing elover. No reason why this cant all stay together in one thread....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X