Linea pid control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linea pid control

Who knows how to adjust the temp on the Linea pid?
    Ive been told it works within a range of temps.

Re: Linea pid control

Depending on what PID model you have attached, the drop from the boiler to the group head is about in the range of 5 - 7 degrees. Set the set point to cater.

Although my lingo is a little off at the moment, I may need to be corrected. Haha~

Comment

Is it the PXR3 from Fuji?

If so press the button on the left once, then use the up and down arrows to adjust the set temperature. On mine you then have to hit the button on the left twice to return to the current temperature reading. If you have changed the set temp you should notice the temperature changing fairly immediately.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Comment

Thanks guys will find out which pid it is. Its a 09 make if that helps.
        To clarify, if the pid reads 93 this reading is at the boiler, then the group is about 87?

Comment

One of these would be fun to have kicking around the cafe.

http://www.espressoparts2.zoovy.com/...re-Device.html

Comment

Hi Phatboy,
            When I was setting up my 09 machine I asked almost the same question to Bill Crossland. He is the guy who was the head designer of the GS3. He said,

"If this machine has a Digital temperature controller, then typically
            there is a 2 degrees C difference between the boiler and group head
            exit. The boiler is hotter so a setting of 92 at the controller will
            give you 90 at the group head."

As others have stated here there is an offset parameter available in the digital controller. My controller is a Fuji (aftermarket) model but the factory controller also has this offset feature that you can program to compensate for this differential.

Keep in mind that unless your machine has a Piero head installed, then the first few mls of a pour from a long-standing Linea will have cooled relative to the boiler water temp as it has been sitting in a tube that takes it out of the grouphead. This will mean that a small heating flush will be needed to dispense with this cooler water. There is less tubing in an EE model than an AV, so less of a flush will be required on an EE.

I set mine up according to Bill Crosslands info. Now I change the brew temp. either up or down relative to the best temp. that my tastebuds have told me for most coffees. For me with my machine this sweetspot is 91.2C. Some coffees do better a shade higher and some are best a bit lower. What I am trying to say is that after getting used to my Linea, this temp. (91.2C) has merely become a reference point.

Thanks to the amazing thermal stability of the machine I know exactly when it has warmed-up properly and when it has entirely recovered from a shot etc. No guesswork exists....ever.

Good luck!

Comment

What temp increments does the factory ERO move in? Can you adjust to a tenth of a degree?

Comment

Originally posted by 717A7F757D2320140 link=1267134041/6#6 date=1270723178
                What temp increments does the factory ERO move in? Can you adjust to a tenth of a degree?
                0.2 deg C increments on the GS/3. I presume the linea is the same. Unsure as to what happens if you switch to deg F

Comment

Originally posted by 343F3A30386665510 link=1267134041/6#6 date=1270723178
                  On the last one or two that I saw, you could only adjust in whole degree increments. Im not sure if that is because that is how the PID was set up or because that is all that the PID is capable of. From memory, the Fuji PIDs are a popular retrofit for people swapping from the thermostat and they have tenth of a degree resolution.

All of that said, a member of this forum often points out that PIDs can only stabilise temperature at the point of the probe. You still need to work out what relationship that has to what goes on at the group!

Originally posted by 01303E3D3E510 link=1267134041/5#5 date=1267306008
                  There is less tubing in an EE model than an AV, so less of a flush will be required on an EE.
                  I thought that there was no tubing taking the water outside of the head in an EE. Maybe you still need a bit of a spritz to warm up the dispersion block?

Originally posted by 01303E3D3E510 link=1267134041/5#5 date=1267306008
                  What I am trying to say is that after getting used to my Linea, this temp. (91.2C) has merely become a reference point
                  Exactly! This is one of the bad things about numbers: people start focussing on numbers and not on taste. Taste is the goal; the numbers are there to help you repeat it. I couldnt care less if the PID said "X C" and "X+1.5C". I remember walking into a shop that had a loaner multiboiler machine replacing their regular one and was getting terrible espresso. They had set the PID to the same setting as their previous machine. I dialled the PID down 4C and all of a sudden the coffee was how it should be!

Cheers,
                  Luca

Comment

Hi Luca,
                    The standard Linea EE (semi-automatic version) does have some external pipework. It has less tubing  than the AV which has a flowmeter which is external to the head. Water has to travel out of the head to get to the flowmeter as well as through the (longer) tubing.

When you fit a Piero cap to the head, there is no external pipework. It is a beautiful system.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the LM brand with me Luca, almost a year ago now I think. I havent looked back with my modified Linea.

I am currently in Dubai, about to catch a flight back to Oz. I went to the LM factory in Scarperia for a guided visit last week and it was one of the high-points of my European trip. I briefly met Piero Bambi....what a legend!!

It is a pity that the quality of the repeatedly-miserable coffee that I was served in Italy wasnt a patch on the quality of this beautiful machine...but thats another story.

Cheers,
                    Paolo

Comment

Regarding the ERO controller....
                      when my Linea arrived it was installed with the Ero controller. I had already planned to replace it with the Fuji and had the Fuji on hand. (Thanks Javaphile!!!! You are a champ!)

I read the Ero manual and from memory you are able to program one of the controllers parameters to show measurements in increments of 2 degrees (either Fahrenheit or Celsius).

With the Fuji it is 0.1 degree settings (either Fahrenheit or Celsius)...again selectable in one of the operating parameters.

Hope this clears Linea things a tad enkai74 and PhatBoy....

Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by 7C4D4340432C0 link=1267134041/10#10 date=1272543535
                        With the Fuji it is 0.1 degree settings
                        A guide / indicator at best.. Doubt the system is capable for many technical reasons..

Would cost ya many thousands of $$$ to come close to that lever of accuracy.. And means almost NOTHING..

This comment sums it up EXACTLY..

Originally posted by 40594F4D2C0 link=1267134041/8#8 date=1270730062
                        his is one of the bad things about numbers: people start focussing on numbers and not on taste.  

Taste is the goal; the numbers are there to help you repeat it.  I couldnt care less if the PID said "X C" and "X+1.5C".  

I remember walking into a shop that had a loaner multiboiler machine replacing their regular one and was getting terrible espresso.  They had set the PID to the same setting as their previous machine.

I dialled the PID down 4C and all of a sudden the coffee was how it should be!

Comment

Working...
                        X