1953 Faema Mercurio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Faema Mercurio

...Following on from my "wanted to buy" thread and having now sourced this beautiful 1953 Faema Mercurio...

Mal wrote: "If only they still made machines as beautiful as these, eh?"

Oh so true Mal.

flynn_aus wrote: "Gas-fired as well - no electrics to contend with, I take it.

Where will it live once it resumes coffee making duties?"

I wont be using the gas fired feature Steve! These machines had the capacity to run on either gas or electricity, and the boiler element was the only electrical component. From what I gather, the Barista regulated the boiler by raising or lowering the current, hence the pressurestat would have been a welcome modification.

Once the restoration is completed it will reside and be operational on the shop counter. At this stage Im thinking of ogling it every day and turning it on once a week for our Saturday visitors. 8-)

Re: 1953 Faema Mercurio

Originally posted by 61404B4B4C56250 link=1267307447/0#0 date=1267307447
    Once the restoration is completed it will reside and be operational on the shop counter.At this stage Im thinking of ogling it every day and turning it on once a week for our Saturday visitors.
    Well thats a very good incentive to make more regular visits to the Shire in the future.  8-)

Im looking at the fittings at the front under the drip tray. From L to R as you look would it be:
    Hot water valve - or is that the hot water valve on the side?
    gas fitting
    water outlet or drain(?)
    spare group handle (?)

Perhaps Im getting ahead of you here and all will be revealed as the thread evolves. Ill be reading this with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by 33392C3B3B342026550 link=1267307447/1#1 date=1267314286
      Hot water valve - or is that the hot water valve on the side?
      gas fitting
      water outlet or drain(?)
      spare group handle (?)
      Simple as it is, I think Ive still a fair bit to learn about the machine.

In order...

Both the valve taps on the left hand side of the machine and the left are hot water taps.

Yes, thats the gas fitting.

Yes, thats a drain outlet.

No, not a spare group handle, but a lever tap for allowing more water into the boiler. You can make out the water inlet on the right hand side of the machine.

The basket is missing frm the group handle, and no wonder, as the group handle doesnt have a rebate for a spring to hold the basket in place. Im already wondering how the Barista would have emptied the spent grounds in an efficient manner, unless he had lots of spare baskets lined up? :-/

Comment

Lovely toy Dennis well done on the search and capture misson, looks like the shell is in fairly good order too 8-)

Originally posted by 58797272756F1C0 link=1267307447/2#2 date=1267316145
        Im already wondering how the Barista would have emptied the spent grounds
        My little Pav is the same, it took a bit of getting used to but I find when you go to knock the puck out I have part of my index finger to hold the basket in place, not to much heat to the point of getting a burn and fine so long as you finger doesnt get between the PF and the knock bar

I have also read of people using ORings between the group handle and basket to help hold them in but I have never worried about it.

Comment

Whoa, what a beauty.

Comment

After our conversation today - no contest. "I bow to you" - from "Your Majesty" by T.D. Jakes & the Potters House

Comment

Its here!  

And will be on display for a couple of weeks before it comes home for restoration.  Once thats done it will return to the shop to run some special single origins.

Youre very welcome to come and have a look - just dont touch!

Comment

looks brilliant mate!, and i love that counter

Comment

Almost makes me want to jump in the car and drive up from Melbourne to see it Den, I bet it looks even better in the flesh.

Comment

Its cute and retro at the same time Dennis

I wonder if the Italian designer had lived here or visited relatives in Australia
                    Then and had a flash of brilliance to use corrugated iron as the back cover feature

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 6B4A4141465C2F0 link=1267307447/6#6 date=1272976571
                      just dont touch!
                      Not even with tongs?

Looks like I might be in again soon.

Comment

8-) Looks right at home with the Elektra on the bench. Side question whats the bag grinder at the other end Faema or Quickmill?

Comment

Originally posted by 6760646B63697C6C6B62050 link=1267307447/11#11 date=1273020797
                          whats the bag grinder at the other end Faema or Quickmill?
                          Quickmill Omre. I have two of them!

Comment

Originally posted by 57767D7D7A60130 link=1267307447/6#6 date=1272976571
                            just dont touch!
                            Now thats just about what my first girlfriend said, and just about as frustrating!

Its enough to make me glad Im in Adelaide and wont have to suffer the frustration.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 42776062526A7768646961050 link=1267307447/13#13 date=1273040074
                              Its enough to make me glad Im in Adelaide and wont have to suffer the frustration.
                              How about a Road Trip Greg?

Comment

Working...
                              X