Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

    Hi All,

    Once agin i have got myself a new project, on which i want to knock over fairly quickly and start using. I recently got a Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact, from the Bay. I took off the panels to find a prity clean machine.

    Some specs on the machine.

    2 x e61 groups
    4.9 Lt boiler
    1 Steam arm
    1 hot water arm
    Sirari Pstat
    Procon Pump
    Gage for Pstat and OPV
    13 amp rated.

    Firstly can anyone help with a Instruction/Parts guide for this machine?

    Secondly after a closer inspection of the boiler i can see some corrosion at some of the joins, I took off the water level probe to see if there was any scale, no scale but it was bent around half way down and black, like it was burnt. I know on my smaller machine this is not the case, why would you bend the water probe?

    I have taken off a couple of other pipes to see that anything wrong, any pipe that was connected to the boiler is black, i could only think that this machine has run dry at some point. Is there any advice as to how to clear all the soot out of a boiler? has anyone come across this before? Is it worth the restoration?

    I have also noticed that the electrical plug on the mahcine is 20 amp, but the original machine is rated at 13 amp. Should I get this changed or should i just install a 20 amp plug to use it.

    Thanks for your help in advance

    Chris

  • #2
    Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

    Step one: Get an electrician to check it out

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

      Originally posted by 3B302A312B2C372B6968580 link=1267349925/0#0 date=1267349925
      black, like it was burnt
      sounds like it needs descaling?

      Originally posted by 3B302A312B2C372B6968580 link=1267349925/0#0 date=1267349925
      I have taken off a couple of other pipes to see that anything wrong, any pipe that was connected to the boiler is black, i could only think that this machine has run dry at some point.
      if run dry wouldnt the element just overheat and blow?

      Originally posted by 3B302A312B2C372B6968580 link=1267349925/0#0 date=1267349925
      has anyone come across this before? Is it worth the restoration?
      id just descale it. Ive had machines black inside before and there was nothing wrong.

      Originally posted by 3B302A312B2C372B6968580 link=1267349925/0#0 date=1267349925
      I have also noticed that the electrical plug on the mahcine is 20 amp, but the original machine is rated at 13 amp.Should I get this changed or should i just install a 20 amp plug to use it.
      does it origianlly come with a 20amp plug?

      Got any photos for us!


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

        With the 20A plug it is just a plug that suited the outlet at its former home. As it only draws 13A then a 15A plug is fine to use BUT. Consider grinder power etc a single 15A plug is now marginal.

        Best bet is to get a sparky to install a new breaker with an Earth leakage protector for you and make sure the cable from the fusebox is up to the job. and get a 15A Outlet along with a double GPO beside it on a seperate circuit if needed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

          Originally posted by 74717D79717E21100 link=1267349925/2#2 date=1267399099
          Chris D wrote on Yesterday at 20:38:
          I have also noticed that the electrical plug on the mahcine is 20 amp, but the original machine is rated at 13 amp.Should I get this changed or should i just install a 20 amp plug to use it.


          does it origianlly come with a 20amp plug?

          Got any photos for us!
          Stats state 3300W thus 13.75 A  

          Now if I had a over spec cable run in the walls and to the power board.. I might be OK with a 15A cct if I was also only using on odd occasions.

          If running for any length of time or status of wiring unknown / unproven etc..

          Then only one choice..  Have true 20A cct fitted and a plug; something like the following fitted.


          Clipsal 20A 56P320 Captive Plug
          Current/Voltage: 20A, 250V, round pins
          Rating:IP56
          Colurs: Grey, Orange


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

            Thanks AM, I will get the 20 AMP line installed soon, the lead on the machine is orange, with flat pins... i forgot to take pics of this.

            I have a couple of pics of the inside of the boiler and the water probe.

            Why would you bend the water probe? I have bent it straight again but not sure if i did the right thing?

            The machine is in a million peices now and i am ready to descale everything... i think a 24 hour soak should get everything nice and clean again



            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

              looking at the element you might be able to drop one of the 3 heating bits and drop your watts below 2500?

              i am assuming each bit of the 3 is 1100?

              of course consult a electrical qualified person 1st !!

              at +-2200w it would be a great machine i reckon

              i have a 7L 2300 watt 1grp and i LOVE IT !!
              show us a pic of the front

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                Originally posted by 49425843595E45591B1A2A0 link=1267349925/5#5 date=1267506164
                Thanks AM, I will get the 20 AMP line installed soon, the lead on the machine is orange, with flat pins... i forgot to take pics of this.

                I have a couple of pics of the inside of the boiler and the water probe.

                Why would you bend the water probe? I have bent it straight again but not sure if i did the right thing?
                Orange usually indicates a heaver current capacity lead or higher insulation...

                Flat pins are usual for 15A and in general the earth is bigger..  The pins of a 10A plug will carry 15A, but the wiring in wall facility may not be able to carry the 15A plus any thing else.  Thus the big earth stops a few from using.  Some just cut the earth off (WRONG WRONG) or just file the earth down (WRONG WRONG)...  Then of course when something goes wrong... They want to blame someone..

                Some of the 20A  plugs also have flat but larger pins...  While you can plug a 15A or 10A into the 20A female, the contact may not be as good as expected..  In addition; I have seen some file down all 3 pins and plug into a 10A GPO..  This was in a shop and they just keep upping the fuse size; until the wiring just failed  

                Thus a 20A with round pins should ensure that you and your staff can only use it correctly and that to do any thing else; would not be by accident and by choice. Thus easier to prove who is at fault  

                As to the probe being bent.. Maybe a method someone used to change the level  ;D ;D

                As to dropping an element.. Always an option.. But stay with the 20A cct.. That way your safe and the wiring will be always there if some one then goes and re connects the other element.

                As stated above... See your licensed person as to the element connectors and the plugs (if some are not being used) as they will need to be terminated / insulated as power may still be available to the plugs and in a fault condition could be also at the element connectors.

                It is risk management... Simple / cheep and well worth while.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                  hi maheel, i have a pic from before the strip down.

                  The element only had 2 of the 3 heating "bits" attached so i am not too sure why it need so much power.



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                    Originally posted by 515A405B41465D410302320 link=1267349925/8#8 date=1267508234
                    hi maheel, i have a pic from before the strip down.

                    The element only had 2 of the 3 heating "bits" attached so i am not too sure why it need so much power.
                    Until ya check it out.. You dont know..

                    Could be that one element was breaking down and triping cct breakers..

                    Opps... Simple fix.. Disconnect the bad element Seen many a system like this... Even done it my self.

                    Oops the next element goes... With one... It will be a bit slow :

                    Lets get two new elements... Now with 3, your drawing full power..

                    Outcome:

                    1: With teh correct wiring... NO problem...

                    2: If someone has taken short cuts.. PROBLEM...


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                      Hi all, I have a small question about rebuilding the machine, on the strip down i noticed that there was very little silicon plumbers tape on the machine... from what little i know about plumbing brass to brass conection is not water tight.

                      Will the plumbers tape do, or is there some sort of glue i should use?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                        depending on the type of fittings some dont use any tape at all as they are a compression fitting.

                        so some (many) brass -> copper fittings seal fine without tape.



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                          Yep be careful using Teflon tape or sealants on some brass fittings some of the coffee machine threads are actually parallel threaded instead of tapered like most normal plumbing fittings. Parallel fittings normally have a metal to metal seat to be leak proof.

                          If your struggling to get these to seal then I do use Teflon but as they are parallel dont use to much as it will jam up and still not seal.

                          If your looking for more fittings then Hydraulic hose companies are actually better than plumbing supplies in some cases, just make sure you get S/Steel or Brass  

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                            Originally posted by 323E373A3A335F0 link=1267349925/11#11 date=1267581353
                            depending on the type of fittings some dont use any tape at all as they are a compression fitting.

                            so some (many) brass -> copper fittings seal fine without tape.
                            AND

                            Originally posted by 3D3A3E313933263631385F0 link=1267349925/12#12 date=1267582454
                            Yep be careful using Teflon tape or sealants on some brass fittings some of the coffee machine threads are actually parallel threaded instead of tapered like most normal plumbing fittings. Parallel fittings normally have a metal to metal seat to be leak proof.

                            If your struggling to get these to seal then I do use Teflon but as they are parallel dont use to much as it will jam up and still not seal.

                            If your looking for more fittings then Hydraulic hose companies are actually better than plumbing supplies in some cases, just make sure you get S/Steel or Brass  
                            Fully agree...

                            See my post here a while ago.. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1265274280


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Grimac "Ten" Series 2 Group Compact

                              Ok so I have some After shots from the Caffeto Vanish Bath.

                              The Boiler still has crud on the bottom, i will give it another bath tonight and hope it is all gone by morning.

                              The element that was not connected orriganly has a crack in it. the other 2 are ok.

                              will this be ok to run or should i order a new element? i cannot find a suitable replacement on CoffeeParts, can anyone recomend somewhere to buy a new element?



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X