Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Cimbali Junior D/1 steam tip options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Cimbali Junior D/1 steam tip options?

Hi all,

Things are going well with my setup now, I have a reasonably consistent roast and awesome equipment!

However, even after owning this machine for around 8 months now, I still struggle with creating perfect microfoam with the standard steam tip (5 hole). The steam pressure is just massive. I have no problems creating microfoam with the standard 4 hole tip on a dual group, dual boiler machine at work (with a 250-300ml jug). So im a little peeved.

I did buy a 2 hole one from coffeeparts, but it is half the screw on length of the standard one (standard one quite long), therefore it leaks steam from where its screwed on. No amount of plumbers tape or rubber inserts will fix this...

Does anyone know of any straight swap steam tips that are more suitable for my machine than the standard 5 hole tip?

Thankyou.

Re: La Cimbali Junior D/1 steam tip options?

Ive read other threads where people have simply blocked some of the holes.

I know where youre coming from. I recently acquired an Oscar with a 4-hole tip. I thought I was pretty good at making microfoam but really struggled with small volumes on this machine.

Got myself a 2-hole tip from Coffee Parts which formed a great seal with a tiny amount of PTFE and am creating creamy goodness again.

Comment

Thanks Caffeine_Junky,

I suppose I could get some food grade putty or something to block one or two holes.

I have the same 2 hole tip from coffee parts, but as stated it leaks badly.
      What is PTFE please? I may try that.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 74060645425F5851360 link=1267659306/2#2 date=1267665451
        Thanks Caffeine_Junky,

I suppose I could get some food grade putty or something to block one or two holes.

I have the same 2 hole tip from coffee parts, but as stated it leaks badly.
        What is PTFE please? I may try that.

Cheers.
        PTFE is plumbers tape, so unfortunately youve already tried it.

Comment

Tried and retried plumbers tape some more. Achieved something decent for now.

However, have just moved house and have to plumb everything in again, so in the meantime my friend and I are going to make a custom steam-tip.

Will post again if I have any success.

Comment

Cant say I have ever seen a five hole tip. Must be a monster to use. I have a Faema E98 which is basically the same as the Junior and has a 4 hole tip as standard (the one on the left). These tips are hard to get and expensive - $70 or so. Forget aftermarket 2 holes - you dont need em and they dont fit anyway.

I get good micro with the 4 hole tip but five?!! Block the rear most hole with a round tooth pick, snipping it close to the metal and you should not have a problem. Slow it even more by blocking another two holes if you want. Have a look at KKs post - Some tricks for creating great microfoam.

The only real issue with these tips are that they are designed for larger quantities of milk, steam super quick and wont give you the sweetness in the milk that a slow steamin machine and tip will in small amounts of milk.

In your case I think a custom tip is maybe a lot of unnecessary work.

Comment

Originally posted by 262F3C2F3829382F272B4A0 link=1267659306/5#5 date=1271155287
              Block the rear most hole with a round tooth pick,
              Errr  I dont like tooth picks... Steam or not - traps bugs and likely to get dislodged at some stage as it gets / goes rotten....

You can get copper wire in different thicknesss...  Much better to make a plug / rivet from a piece of copper wire and use that..  In my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 557A73716659757A75737179717A60140 link=1267659306/6#6 date=1271170126
                Originally posted by 262F3C2F3829382F272B4A0 link=1267659306/5#5 date=1271155287
                Block the rear most hole with a round tooth pick,
                Errr  I dont like tooth picks... Steam or not - traps bugs and likely to get dislodged at some stage as it gets / goes rotten....

You can get copper wire in different thicknesss...  Much better to make a plug / rivet from a piece of copper wire and use that..  In my opinion.
                Hmm...never thought of that. I take back the tooth pick advice. Maybe just temporarily to see if it gives a satisfactory result. Then something more permanent if need be.

Comment

Thanks for the additional input guys.

I realise that a custom steam tip is unnecessary work but that sort of thing is actually fun for my housemate and I. ;D Well mainly him, but I learn occasionally!

Was just plumbing it back in today actually.

Comment

Did you get the tip sorted? I recently rescued my Junior from getting thrown into the rubbish, a few parts and some TLC and its running well.  It had a 4 hole tip (one central surrounded by 3) and i couldnt get milk anywhere as good as my old Vie Venetzia.  Bought a new SS arm and 2 hole tip from CoffeeParts and im getting better at it, but still not perfect.

I think my problem is technique, but id be interested to hear how you went.

My first post, so excuse my newness!

Comment

Originally posted by 31041504133E230D000A04610 link=1267659306/9#9 date=1276175929
                      Did you get the tip sorted? I recently rescued my Junior from getting thrown into the rubbish, a few parts and some TLC and its running well.  It had a 4 hole tip (one central surrounded by 3) and i couldnt get milk anywhere as good as my old Vie Venetzia.  Bought a new SS arm and 2 hole tip from CoffeeParts and im getting better at it, but still not perfect.

I think my problem is technique, but id be interested to hear how you went.

My first post, so excuse my newness!
                      Hey mate,

Delayed reply (not great at seeing topic replies to post on this forum yet).

I ended up sorting out a 2 hole steam tip that works very well for microfoam. The 4 or 5 hole one was just rediculous! I also noticed you can buy blank tips on coffeeparts now (site sponsor). They are pretty cheap and worth a shot if you dont want to make your own from scratch.

If youve got a 2 hole id say keep practising, you will get it. Watch some videos or watch a pro in a cafe for awhile. What I love is working with a commercial 2 group at work with massive pressure and then coming home to a 2 hole tip, got it down pat now though!

Why was your Junior being thrown out?!

Comment

I have a Junior S 1996 model that came with the sucky single hole tip with the two large breather holes. It sucks better than my vacuum cleaner does.

The thread on this is 1/8" BSP female which was a surprise, and it seems to narrow down the options a bit?

What was the thread on your Junior Ds? Do you have any suggestions for what I can try? I think any tip will be an improvement over the current?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I have had my Junior for nearly 2 years now. I was having problems managing the cooling flush regime so I turned down the pressurestat so that its temperature management was more manageable.

Interesting though, while the reduced boiler temperature improved my shots, steaming also became more manageable without affecting the machines performance. It probably takes a few seconds more to steam a jug of milk, but I can now make great microfoam from the standard steam tip. Just another way of approaching the problem I suppose.

Comment

Would the current model Junior tip fit my older model 1996 Junior?
                            ie) Is the current thread still 1/8" BSP (9.7mm OD male thread on wand)?

Comment

Working...
                            X