Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which of these machines is more awe-inspiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which of these machines is more awe-inspiring?

Okay folks, throwing a question out there to the Coffee Snobs crowd who know a bit about espresso machines. Which of these espresso machines would be more awe-inspiring if you saw it in an espresso bar?

Running the same question on Twitter at the moment. Ill let you know the outcome.

Re: which of these machines is more awe-inspiring?

Wow what a choice! Last time I was in Melbourne I stayed just up the road from Brother Buda Badan and loved watching them use the Synesso.

However my vote would go to the lever - for the presence of it as well as skill and attention to detail required by the baristas to get the most out of it.

P.S. This should be made into a poll

Comment

What about the love for the Boema   Let me know if your going to sell it, I need a new project

Ignoring technical stuff for a minute and considering it from an average punters point of view a lot of machines look like boring bits of modern kitchenware (flame suit on ready). The Electra and San Marco do not, they hark back to a time and a place and have a more classic look which might suit the look you are going for. The lever thing adds a little more bling and theatre on top again (biased opinion).

On the techy front, talk to Dennis at Cuppacoffee about the Elektra I am sure he had to have his fixed to bring the shot temp down from new. The San Marco is the same internals and controls as my Izzo from what I can figure out (feel free to drop me a PM or jump on the train to Port Fairy and come for a play).

The other two for in the know coffee snobs or technophiles are 2 of the 3 or 4 where it is at machines technically at present but they are to look at as boring as bat stuff Now wearing my kevlar undies and gloves  

Happy shopping  

Comment

Airbrushed Obscura decal on the FB80 would look "awe-inspiring"

Comment

LM for me great piece of kit

Comment

I like the look of the Elektra, but I have to go with the romance of 4 levers! Its not just about a static machine but the whole vibe of the thing - ie the action of the barista in creating every cup.
            Melbourne needs more levers, not jut another LM or Synesso.

Good luck and I hope the Boema has a place too :-)

(a tad biased : ) Mokka.

Comment

Originally posted by 110B0F0D0C0F070E00620 link=1269922278/5#5 date=1269932186
              vibe of the thing - Mokka.
              did you watch the Castle......

I vote for lever, or get 2 a lever and La Marz.

Is the Synesso infinite pressure profile on the paddle yet?

Comment

The BOEMA will be retired to our lounge room, hes currently on an extended vacation. So far, lots of votes for the Elektra and the Fiorenzato Lever on Twitter.

Surprising lack of support for the Synesso but that may be because of the giant red cross on it? (couldnt find a photo of the two group )

Comment

Melbourne needs more levers, not jut another LM or Synesso
                  Agree there.

If youre walking past a cafe, would you make a judgement -on whether to have a coffee- based on the machine.....?

Comment

Originally posted by 113C2D3D2B2C3F5E0 link=1269922278/8#8 date=1269946266
                    If youre walking past a cafe, would you make a judgement -on whether to have a coffee- based on the machine.....?
                    i do in an unknown area, i base it on the machine, beans used, and "the vibe of the thing (place)"

and if i saw a lever i would be in double quick......

Comment

What are you looking for?
                      What looks the best and might generate the most wows for the average Kensington passer by or best taste, most ergonomic etc?

If its taste I suggest you try your coffee through them all with your own grinder.

Im sure EES will let you use a LM, 5senses or CMT will let you play on a Synesso, I had a chance to play with a new Elektra Kappa the other week so there might be a BZ floating around.
                      Not sure the lever will be as easy to find, speak to Coffee Supreme.

Pesonally id choose the Cyncra just over the FB80 before considering the others.

If on a budget, what about a GB5?

Comment

Good to know your hanging onto the Boema, must be a bit like part of the family by now

Machines are no guide to good coffee, it is the person behind the controls that can kill even the best beans and machines. I tend to try lots of places but dont tend to go back if the coffee is ordinary or if the feel of the place isnt what I like. There was a bit of a bagging about a Synesso based Cafe in a coastal town going on last week

If you are staying where you are then walking traffic will tend to be repeat walkers I guess rather than passing foot traffic. So machine choice of the more interesting or funky may be of more limited value. If you were in the main strip then I would think the look of a machine might be of more value to potential new customers to at least come in for a closer look.

I found that with my lever in limited commercial use so far has created more conversations and interested questions about coffee than I might have expected with a modern box, no basis for comparison but thats what I think is the case.

At the end of the day you have to live and work with it but your used to the lever thing so stick with it I reckon 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 765B4A5A4C4B58390 link=1269922278/8#8 date=1269946266
                          Yes I would

Originally posted by 4D58525C585054390 link=1269922278/10#10 date=1269947942
                          What looks the best and might generate the most wows for the average Kensington passer by or best taste, most ergonomic etc?
                          Interesting point I did not consider. What would it do to a barista having to operate a lever machine all day? Have never operated one before, how much force do you need?

Comment

At the end of the day it is not the "awe-inspiring" machine that will get them coming back for more and recommending you to their freinds - it will be the "awe-inspiring" coffee. Choose the machine that will give Obscura the best results with Obscura coffee and then work out how you can make that machine look awe-inspiring with some custom bling! 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 49454C414148240 link=1269922278/9#9 date=1269946766
                              Originally posted by 113C2D3D2B2C3F5E0 link=1269922278/8#8 date=1269946266
                              i do in an unknown area, i base it on the machine, beans used, and "the vibe of the thing (place)"

and if i saw a lever i would be in double quick......
                              Yep!! Fully agree that the Lever adds a class that would wow those in the know as well as the general public. What a snobby contraption youve got there old boy... Id like the most expensive coffee you sell....stat! Awesome... ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X