Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milano/Wega EVD 2 - Did I descale it right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milano/Wega EVD 2 - Did I descale it right?

Hey hey fellow CSers. Ive been following this site for ages and have only just joined this morning. This is my first post . Woo!!

Thanks so much for all the info Ive been able to gather so far, incredibly useful.

Ive recently purchased an older Milano badged Wega that needed some TLC. Ive given it a good clean up and am very proud of how its going so far.

My question is, Ive given it a descale and noticed a huge improvement in performance (heats faster, more pressure on the shot etc). What I have noticed though is that when I run the hot water tap into a jug, the water itself seems to have a slight (almost) green tinge to it. Is this a bad thing? Is this just some scale thats still exiting the system? Is this still some descaler leaving the system?

Apologies for the noob-i-ness of my question... but Im a noob

Re: Milano/Wega EVD 2 - Did I descale it right?

Thats perfectly normal, its the copper pipes reacting with the descaler.It will get less over time.Probably a good idea to everything a good flush.If you start seeing lumpy bits of scale coming out, then start worrying.

Welcome to Coffee snobs

Comment

Ahh ok cool, thanks so much, Ill stop stressing. (phewf!!)

There were some bits of scale coming out during the descaling process but they seem to have stopped. I guess thats normal?

I figure Ill descale the machine every 6-9 months, which from what I can tell seems pretty reasonable? Im making roughly 15 coffees a week on the machine, which may increase but well see. If so Ill increase the frequency of the descale.

Comment

Originally posted by 71686A686F686F68626E67676464010 link=1293756714/2#2 date=1293757696
        I figure Ill descale the machine every 6-9 months, which from what I can tell seems pretty reasonable?
        Im far from an expert but it all comes down to the quality of water you put into the machine. Best thing to do would be to get a hold of some test strips to see how many ppm in your water. Contact Bernard from Bombora and hell be able to guide you on what your filtration requirements are.

Comment

Originally posted by 34353F2C32372D5E0 link=1293756714/3#3 date=1293761969
          Originally posted by 71686A686F686F68626E67676464010 link=1293756714/2#2 date=1293757696
          I figure Ill descale the machine every 6-9 months, which from what I can tell seems pretty reasonable?
          Im far from an expert but it all comes down to the quality of water you put into the machine. Best thing to do would be to get a hold of some test strips to see how many ppm in your water.  Contact Bernard from Bombora and hell be able to guide you on what your filtration requirements are.
          Great idea, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hi Joel,

I own two of these machines and in fact, just did a full descale yesterday of one of them which Im doing a complete rebuild of.

Question, did you descale the boiler? and if so, what was your process? It sounds like youve not given the boiler a sufficient flush afterwards. If thats the case, Id flush the boiler 3 times with clean water.

My process for a full descale:
            completely empty the boiler using the spigot located under the drip tray. Tip the machine to the right (left hand high) to really empty the boiler.
            Mix up 12 litres of descale solution according to the manufacturers instructions. I use Cafetto restore. (only for commercial machines)
            take the cup tray off and remove the water level probes wire.
            put the inlet hose in to the bucket of solution and turn the machine on.
            While it is filling with the descaler, open the steam wand. The moment you get liquid coming out of the steam wand, switch the machine off. Replace the water level probe wire.
            Turn the machine back on and run descaler through the groups until the water becomes cloudy.
            Let it all sit for 15 minutes.
            Turn the machine off and empty the boiler again. A word of warning. If the machine has reached its target temp, the water coming out will spatter.
            Run 3 full tanks of clean water through the boiler and the groups.

Comment

Originally posted by 494B474F4F41465B280 link=1293756714/5#5 date=1293772591
              I own two of these machines and in fact, just did a full descale yesterday of one of them which Im doing a complete rebuild of.
              Unreal, Id love to pick your brains about a whole bunch of stuff, perhaps Ill PM you

Originally posted by 494B474F4F41465B280 link=1293756714/5#5 date=1293772591
              Did you descale the boiler? and if so, what was your process? It sounds like youve not given the boiler a sufficient flush afterwards. If thats the case, Id flush the boiler 3 times with clean water.
              Did this yesterday and looks like the tinge is completely gone. Stoked!!

The process I followed was pretty similar to the one you outlined except: I emptied the boiler to start with using pressure rather than gravity (heated the machine, switched it off and opened the hot water tap), and I left it for about 10 mins rather than 15, I was a bit excited.

Will bookmark and use your process next time, thanks so much for the help.

Comment

Happy to help where I can. Ive learnt a tonne through this. More than a forum could teach me in a million years.

The reason i use the spigot from the bottom of the boiler is that sediment and crap is going to sink to the bottom and using the hot water spout wont get rid of it. Even after my descale and flush the other day, Im still finding sediment coming out of my hot water spout. theres no way Id drink a long black made from this boiler.

Which makes me wonder...why dont more machine manufacturers just make the hot water spout another heat exchange rather than drawing from the boiler?

Comment

Originally posted by 45474B43434D4A57240 link=1293756714/7#7 date=1293852038
                  The reason i use the spigot from the bottom of the boiler is that sediment and crap is going to sink to the bottom and using the hot water spout wont get rid of it. Even after my descale and flush the other day, Im still finding sediment coming out of my hot water spout. theres no way Id drink a long black made from this boiler.
                  The hot water pickup in most machines is designed to draw water from a distance above the bottom of the boiler, so that it doesnt pick up scale and sediment from the bottom. Problem is, once you have disturbed what sediment is in there by flushing the boiler, unless it is all completely flushed out some will still appear in the hot water until the sediment has had a chance to completely settle in the boiler again.
                  Normally once the sediment settles it stays there and wont come out with the hot water unless the machine is disturbed. Ive had to deal with that a few times when installing secondhand machines - drive them around in the back of a van and the water sloshes around enough to swirl up the sediment. Install the machine and hey presto, muddy water! Usually a few repeated boiler fill/drain cycles clears the worst of it and the rest tends to settle within a day or two.

Originally posted by 45474B43434D4A57240 link=1293756714/7#7 date=1293852038
                  Which makes me wonder...why dont more machine manufacturers just make the hot water spout another heat exchange rather than drawing from the boiler?
                  I suspect the fact that the flow rate desired from a hot water outlet compared to a group head would make getting the water hot enough difficult, as it would have to travel much faster through a heat exchanger than brew water.

Comment

Working...
                  X