Refurbishing- newbie questions on aesthetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbishing- newbie questions on aesthetics

So I went looking for a coffee grinder and purchased a Rancilio S10 CD that was going in a cafe but pretty grubby! :-/ This will be used at home when I am finished... I have read a lot of the forum and taken coffee machines 101 & 102.  It is partially disassembled and I have a couple of dumb questions please:
    • Does the frame paint have to be high-temperature tolerant?
    • What do you good folk normally do if you need decals (like the switch descriptors)?
    • Lastly, does anyone have a user/ care manual for one of these?  (I have the parts listing and some images)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  (there you go, my first forum and first post!)

Oh, and I still looking for a grinder.  :

Re: Refurbishing- newbie questions on aesthetics

High temp paint is not needed, Manual is as good as useless, I use a labelmaker for switch possitions although its not really needed

Comment

Like with Tek forget the labels especially if it you using it, a nice clean look instead of dodgy home made labels will be nicer. I might have a wiring diagram for one of these too if you need it.

With the frame have a look at the Killrust epoxy paints, makes for a good seal in a wet area.

Comment

Thanks Tek & Beanflying. Expoxy paint is a great idea, also the clean-skin will look nicer. A wiring diagram would be great thanks Beanflying as I am getting an electrician to remove one of the element links to get below 10 Amps (and insulating the boiler).

Comment

Tried to upload the PDFs had but got a to large issue. The ones here should do the job. For some reason they are not easilly available off the Rancilio normal site navigation. Disabling the element should be fairly easy for a sparky to do even without a diagram.

http://www.rancilio.it/rancilio/down...&id_language=3

Comment

Thanks Beanflying.  Those diagrams I have dug up from another post and while the parts listings cover my old CS, the wiring is for the DE (which has a switch panel rather than buttons).

I had a look at the boiler and yes you are correct, it is easy to see how the 3 heater circuts are connected.  I am still getting my sparky to do it as he is going to make a 15 Amp Female plug to 10 Amp male plud adaptor for me.  That way if the machine needs to get the 3 heaters attached again it can be done and used!

At the same time he is putting in earth leakage switch (yes, I am conservative)

Thanks again for your time, realy appreciate it and will no doubt have many more questions as I dig further into the machine!

(doing a barista 3 hour course next week to understand more, naturally at one of the forum sponsors)

Cheers

Colin

Comment

Beanflying- do you really have 7 Espresso machines??????  I didnt think Port Fairy was big enough for 7 (my family comes from Terang)

Colin

Comment

Yes I do have 7 machines currently (as of last night), trying to cut back to 5 (minimum "required" : ) over the next month or so. 30 commercial espresso machines in town and only 5 or 6 worth even trying.

Terang where decent coffee is virtually unknown and home of the nastiest crustiest steam wand I have ever seen, lucky some of the best milk in the country comes from there ;D

Element wiring will be the same for the DE and the CD versions anyway. Take plenty of pics would be my call or even label wires and terminals.

Comment

is this new BF ? "Piazza San Marco 1grp"

recent auction ?

Comment

Ha!  I gather the "5 or 6 worth trying" are at your abode?

I would not even contemplate an Espresso in Terang  :-X, only one Uncle left there now, but another Uncle was a dairy farmer from Colac and I drank milk from the vat at his farm when a youngster, so not a totally lost call am I!

How do you "cut back to 5" in 30 days?  (mind, whilst looking at the famed auction site for a grinder, I put another machine on watch- bit addictive I guess, but still cheaper than the other Italian Red Machine most would like being a Ferarri!)

Cheers

Colin

Comment

And yes, I have been labelling and imaging the machine from lots of angles being my first attempt- thanks, great suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D515855555C300 link=1295225208/8#8 date=1295260070
                        "Piazza San Marco 1grp"

recent auction ?  
                        Yep, couple of other regulars here had a dabble on it too I think I owe a few coffees to them ;D Pickup Friday with the K10 and a quick coffee crawl in Melbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by 393D3E3B353B520 link=1295225208/0#0 date=1295225208
                          # What do you good folk normally do if you need decals (like the switch descriptors)?
                          The original Rancilio switches have symbols printed on them so you know what the function of each one is, and have a light built in so you know when they are on. There are normally no markings on the panel to indicate the switch functions.
                          But a lot of Rancilios have ended up with non-original switches when the originals wore out, as the form factor of the switches is an industry standard type which can be purchased almost anywhere.

Comment

Actually, I just realised what I wrote above is not quite right - early Rancilios like the S10 did have the switch description symbols printed on the chassis, and the switches were blank-faced, so a 100% correct restoration would require new (screenprinted?) labelling. But if you just want the switches labelled so you know their functions, and in a way that looks factory, using the later specially labelled Rancilio switches would be a good solution.

Comment

Yep thats right Morgs but if you need a sign to tell you what those switches do youve got bigger problems than that ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X