GS3 has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS3 has arrived

Finally after 6months I picked up my machine. It actually arrived last week but I was away and only got back Friday morning.

I havent had much of a chance to play with it yet and dont have any photos, as I was stuck at work late Friday and worked all day sat and looks like all day Sunday.

Although I got a few hours with it this morning. 1/2 a kg of beans has the grinder dialed in. It took me a while to get the dozing on the Kony e right. I had read and been told that the dosing would be a little off until the burrs bed in. Seemed ok on the few shots I pulled post.

The machine is great. A bit wider than my minore and a bit deeper but a lot more squat. The manuals are very comprehensive and actuallynwritten by someone with a good grasp of English. They are actually quite useful. I like the ability to set the on and off times of the machine. Plus you get all the gear to plumb it in. The reservoir is great too, it slides out from behind the drip tray and you justbuse a jug to fill it. No kore removing all the cups off the top. Steam is fantastic too. I got great milk in about 10 seconds and was boasting at my prowess, before stuffing the next jug . You dont have a lot of time to get it right.

I had forgotten how quiet the rotary pumps are. Even my wife was impressed with that (if youbcan call I couldnt get much louder a positive remark). The cony is really quiet too. Much more so than the mini. I think the cooling fan is noisier than the grinding.

I like the paddle too. I decided against the volumetric and went the paddle. I like the feel to it. I havent tried the pre infusion yet though.

A few little annoyances though. Main one being a scratch in the middle of the front of my drip tray. It had gone through the protective film. But didnt become apparent until I removed it all. So I will see what I can do about getting that replaced. I presume the importer has changed the plug, but instead of fitting a new cable, they just bought a cheap clear plug and put that on (which for the price you would think they could do a bit better). I will get an electrician from work to change it so I dont void my warranty. Importer stuck a big thick sticker with their name in the middle of the machine front. Which has left a bit of a mark, but a bit of rubbing should get it out. But really nothing to get worried about and all solvable.

I will post up some pictures and do a better write up a bit later.

Re: GS3 has arrived

Congrats on the new arrival Clint
    look forward to future reports and heaps of pix!!!

Comment

Welcome to the club Clint.

Are we going to see orange side panels?

Comment

A couple of bad iphone pics, sorry my camera is overseas and my wife forgot to charge hers.

orange side panels would just be too nutty  I was thinking about that, but I think I will start off with:

1) orange paddle cover.  The black on that doesnt quite match the side panels, or the paddle.  So it is asking for it.
        2) orange handle on my new Pullman tamper (sorry Greg).  I think the paint should wear ok, I will just make sure I put a lot of clear coats on it.

But I am open to other suggestions

There is no cool touch steam want option is there?  The rubber bit still gets hot, and I have burnt myself 3 times already.  I keep forgetting I dont have a cool touch wand anymore

Pictures of the Kony all dirty too.

Comment

lucky i put my clothes back  on for that photo

Comment

Comment

sorry about the multiple posts, I keep getting a too large error if I try and post multiple pics

Comment

picture of the cheap looking plug, I was going to shorten both cords and put flush mounted plugs so I can slide the machine over to hide the power point.  But sort of need to reconfigure it as the hopper is in the way of the intercom and the wife doesnt like walking around to it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Clinto, time to update your signature

Comment

WOW!! If theres e emoticon showing jaw dropping, id use it now.
                        Nice piece of kit right there.

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 5B7471766C77180 link=1295714321/6#6 date=1295768147
                          sorry about the multiple posts, I keep getting a too large error if I try and post multiple pics
                          Thats because you havent resized your images down to something more reasonable for posting in a Forum....

Try to keep image sizes down to 640x480 or 800x600 pixels at the maximum Clinto. If youre not sure how to do that, plenty of info and links to tools to make the task an easy one.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1187136315

Ive resized the images above for you this time around.

Cheers mate,
                          Mal.

Comment

nice

what made you upgrade to this setup from the Expobar Minore & Mini Mazzer?

Ive been considering GS3 for a while, but not sure how much improvement I will get going from a $5k setup to a $10k setup

was it worth it?

Comment

I sort of worked my way around to the GS3, after getting tired of removing my cups each time I needed to refill the tank.  I had thought I would retrofit a rotary pump and at least plumb in the water.  That led me to the conclusion I should probably just buy a new one.  which after much procrastinating led me onto the GS3.  My wife was also always complaining about the noise of the vibe pump and the Mini when grinding.  We have a 12 month old who was a light sleeper...

In terms of getting more out of the cup with this setup, I dont know.  The minore, to me seemed very consistent, even when making 10 or so coffees when we were entertaining, it would always keep up.  the bottle neck was really the slow grind speed on the mini.  But it was a great setup, that I really never had any problems with.  There were not any shortcomings that made me want to upgrade.

But having upgraded, I am glad I did.  Was it worth it?  I would say yes, I am glad I bought it, but I guess it depends on your budget too.  Fortunately I am reasonably well paid and I like shiny new gadgets, although everyones idea of value and benefits probably differers.  but to me where I see the value:

- Looks - I do think it just looks better than the minore.  I really like the orange on the grinder too.
                              - Feel - it does have a nice solid quality feel to it.
                              - Things like the PFs are just a bit nicer than the minore.  the downward angle of the handle and the little emblem marked into the brass all seem - a bit nicer than the minore PF.  You get two PFs with it, one with a single spout and one with a twin.  which is good as the twin is just a bit too wide for my nuovo pont espresso cups, and these other cool ones made in malawi that 5 senses sell.
                              - not really sure if it is value, but you do get a really good set of instructions, that make sense in english.  hoses and fittings to plumb it in and a tub of LM cleaner for descaling.  But given the price, you should get that.  It was a little in contrast to my minore, which was actually an instruction book for the Leva.

Other improvements over the minore.

- In built timer - you can set the on and off times so it will turn on before I get up.
                              - You  can give it a name it will display in the LCD (Im a geek)
                              - Full PID over both boilers, probably not a big thing for me, as I may play with that a bit, but really I dont think my palate is sophisticated enough to notice 1/10 of a degree changes;
                              - steam power - this is up there with commercial machines i have used.  the 4 hole wand has the milk done in a flash.  I do like the steam power, and find it quite easy to get consistent milk with it, you just have to pay attention no time for pulling a shot while texturing milk.
                              - Cup warmer is way better than the minore.  I suspect it is more to do with the layout of the boilers and probably increased surface area.  But it actually gets the cups to near hand burning temperatures.
                              - Nice big drip tray.  Although the drip tray is plastic with a stainless front and sides.  I little disappointed in that, but doesnt effect performance.
                              - Water tank being underneath the machine.  This is great, you pull off the drip tray and the tank slides out.  A cover lifts off and it is easy to fill with a jug.  No more removing cups.
                              - The grinder is also a lot quieter than the mini.  It is also a fair bit quicker too.  But other than that, not really much different, the mini was a great grinder.  this one looks better, and it has the cable exiting out the base, so you dont see an ugly cable gland coming out the side like the mini had.

End of the day I am happy with it, and it will be something I keep for a long time and something I cannot see myself replacing, unless I buy a speedster.  Although I am on the lookout for a Faema E61 as a restoration project, but that would be a secondary machine anyway.

Clint

Comment

Working...
                              X