Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Izzo Pompeii Single Group Lever.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Izzo Pompeii Single Group Lever.....

.....has landed in Australia!

Chris at Talk Coffee has informed me, that after a long flight from Naples, my lovely shiny new toy has arrived and will be ready to ship to me next week.

After deciding to upgrade from my Bezzera BZ35 (which many would consider pretty near the top of the upgraditis tree!), I then did loads of research before deciding that I wanted to join the cult of the lever!

Ironically, after becoming interested in the Izzo I then got invvolved in a bit of an online stoush with Chris, here on CSs, as a result of a bit of miscommunication.

I found another importer who had a slightly better price, but once I had a couple of phone conversations with Chris I came to the view that I would rather conduct my business with him and he was happy to accomodate my wishes very much to my satisfaction.

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I actually take possession of my precious, (all 60kgs of her!) - but I will be keeping the updates coming and posting pics of the unboxing & commissioning.

Looking forward to picking the brains of the lever experts to get the most out of my machine.

Re: My new Izzo Pompeii Single Group Lever.....

Cant wait to see pictures.

Comment

Couldnt wait to see pics myself so thought this might help to tide us over

Comment

That picture is disappointing coffee_wino. I want to see the real thing. Box as well ;D

Comment

More like this one cw,

Galumay has grabbed a PID Nuova Pompei like mine, but his is not black. I wont spoil the reveal

Comment

I am sad to say that it will still be a while before I have pics of my pride & joy!

TNT stuffed up the pickup this week so it wont leave Chris until next week on its journey north.

The Pharos Manual Grinder should arrive by then too, so lots of new toys to play with!

Here is a better image to show just how impressive these machines are,

Comment

Ok, the Pompeii has finally arrived, big thanks to Chris from Talk Coffee for all his help.

There is a short and dirty video of the unboxing over on Vimeo,

http://vimeo.com/23039619

and a web gallery of some iPhone photos of the machine.

http://gallery.mac.com/galumay#10074...or=black&sel=0

Video of the beast in action to follow!

Comment

Congratulations Galumay, may your new beast bring you many years of god shots!

I love the red, am about to start restoring a BZ35 and am considering painting the panels a similar colour.

Comment

Wow!

Now thats a piece of working art "galumay". What a beautiful machine and from what Chris says, its beauty is much more than skin deep when it comes to producing the goods in the cup.

Congratulations mate... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Guys, the photos just dont do it justice - its just such a seriously incredible work of design and engineering. I am really impressed with the quality of the finish.

Its ridiculously large for a home, especially a kitchen as small as ours, but its so well proportioned and designed that it doesnt look out of place.

The bling factor is big, that huge shiny group hanging off the front of all that reflective stainless steel and shiny red is a visual feast!

Of course all that really matters is in the cup - and it certainly holds its own there. I set it up the same as Chris had set his up as a reference point - 119deg - and then moved a step coarser on the grinder and went a little lighter on the tamp.

The portafilters are like a bucket - very deep, and 14g disappears into the bottom of them! Anyway I pulled the first shot and it had beautiful crema, nice colour and quite acceptable flavour - but it was a bit on the cool side. So I upped the temp in stages and about 122 deg seems pretty dialled in.

I am very busy working on a film shoot at the moment so getting it installed and pouring a couple of quick shots was all I had time for, on Thursday night we put dinner on for the crew at our place and so i ended up pouring about 8 espressos in a row for our very multinational crew - Swiss, French, Brazilian and Argentinian - and all I can say is that they were all deeply impressed. One of them shot a bit of footage on their iPhone so I now have a rough and ready video of a couple of extractions for you viewing pleasure!

In conclusion, I am extremely happy with the results in the cup, very consistent, ridiculously easy, a lovely softness in the mouth, nicer coffee from dialling it in than I ever achieved with a very serious machine in the BZ35e.

Anyway enough of the waffle, here is the video, please remember its taken with an iPhone.

http://vimeo.com/23061506

Comment

this is the first time ive been jealous and now not satisfied with my set up at home after seeing someones set up on here!

Looks like you could up-dose a bit with the same tamp and grind

Comment

this is definitely awesome, and what a peaceful way to make a coffee! i feel relaxed just listening to that pour

Comment

Ive always wanted a lever and that beaut only adds to the desire! Very nice! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Java "Love the shorts!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Would it be impolite to ask how much?

Comment

in that video you appear to just pull the lever all of the way down in one hit and then wait for the espresso to come out the bottom.

I thought on lever machines that it was the operator that defined what pressure the shot was pulled at by the way they pulled the lever :-?

Have I got it wrong or is that lever machine different?

Comment

Working...
                              X