X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I couldnt wait for the new Breville

and the price was too high...

...So I bought a Faema E98 S1...

Honestly, it wasnt completely intentional. Ive fairly consistently been bidding and missing out on a number of second hand machines on the Evil Bay, while deciding whether I could justify doubling the price of the 6910 to get the BDB.

Enter an auction for the aforementioned. The wife suggested we have a chop at it, expecting it to go the way of the auctions. So I set my maximum as a few dollars above the starting price, went up on stage to play at church with another 10min left for the auction. Lo and behold, nobody else bid and I won at the starting price.

Initially thinking he was kidding with the as new, unused status, turns out was exactly correct. I had actually bought a completely unused, 18 month old Faema for not a lot more than the BDB.

Ive since run the first water through it and am now trying my best to produce a reasonable extraction using my aging EM0480 and the ghetto Faema tamper...

Ive accidentally stumbled out of the Pointy End and solidly into the Extreme Machine part of town...

Any other love from the Faema E98 owners?

Re: So I couldnt wait for the new Breville

nice one! i picked up a broken cimbali junior ( same machine as the e98 s1 i think) to fix for fun, and now that its as new ive been surprised at how nice of a machine it is. Im sure yours will serve you well for at least your lifetime

Comment

Woo Hoo
      Great pick up Dave
      Once you get familiar with your new machine you wont look back

Looking forward on an update when time permits

KK

Comment

are other cimbali junior and faema e98 s1 owners filter baskets also 57mm? my other 58mm baskets dont quite fit in the group handle either because of the ridge on the basket.

I was surprised, i didnt realise they were slightly smaller than standard. Although i suspect that you could buy a 58mm basket that fits the cimbali handle??

Comment

Nice pick up davese.

Ive been lurking and bidding on a few, but no luck this way yet.
          All the best on your extreme machine.

Gary at G

Comment

I got a e98 A1 (rotary / plumb) for the sister a while back and seems a very solid quality build.

only downside is it seems to get quite hot if left sitting idle and needs a solid flush to bring the temps back down again. but thats manageable and probably tweak able if you put the time into setting it up better than she worries about

in home use it might out-last the user if loved and looked after not sure the BDB could achieve that.

nice buying 8-) reckon you will be upgrading the grinder next

Comment

Lovely machine Dave Josh.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dont forget to show us lots of piccies

Mal.

Comment

Thats a brilliant pickup Daveze...Sometimes its good to be in the right place at the right time

Comment

Actually, the name is Josh. Daveze is a vaguely phonetic spelling of my last name.

I agree: right place, right time. Ill throw some pics up on the weekend but if youve seen a new one, youve seen one remarkably similar.

First of many questions: am I likely to need to adjust the brew pressure? On the third finest setting, the shot is too quick but on the next its relieving into the drain at the same time as pulling the shot. Or can I just blame the much maligned EM0480?

I have acquired a better tamper, its funny just how dodgy the original was. I guess they figure the buyer is likely to be discerning or cashed up enough to buy their own.

Cheers,
                  Josh

Comment

brew pressure might be set a little high from factory, although this is to be confirmed only with a portafilter pressure gauge. Also, youll be wanting to upgrade your grinder asap too

Comment

Working...
                    X