Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to convert my San Marino CKX into a dual boiler machine

Hi all,

I know it sounds crazy, but Im thinking is it possible to convert my HX San Marino CKX into a dual boiler machine.

What I wanna do is to add a small boiler (PID control)for the brew head (Maybe a size like the silvia boiler) and leave the current one for steaming. Any though?

Tony

Re: Want to convert my San Marino CKX into a dual boiler machine

yeah, sell it and buy a dual boiler

but if you dont take my superb advice, then make sure you document the build and post it here with plenty of photos, regardless of how successful it is. Best of luck 8-)

Comment

What do you want to achieve?

Comment

I want a better temperature stability.

Comment

if youre asking about it here, guaranteed it wont happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 14302A3A3138590 link=1310469713/4#4 date=1310602022
            Why do you say that Misha?

Is it possible? Yep. Would I bother? Nope. The job doesnt just involve a boiler. Electronics? Board? Theres a lot more.

If I wanted to make this machine more stable (and it can be done), Id be taking it to the 9Bar boys...Alternately, Id sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2E0A10000B02630 link=1310469713/4#4 date=1310602022
              Well, youve got me too Mischa.... I have no idea what you mean :-?

Mal.

Comment

if there was a chance of it happening, it would probably already be in full swing by someone who had the means and knowledge to do it fairly cheaply. Vauge questions on an internet forum for such a relatively complex project on the other hand... would be nice to be wrong though, it would certainly be unique if it did happen!

Would certainly be cheaper to sell it and buy a minore though unless hes a plumber or someone with access to parts and tools.

Comment

See where youre coming from mate....

Mal.

Comment

Yeah, but there has to a be first for everything.

I think its a risky project but if you get joy from the project itself and would be happy to get to the end and have no result then go for it, we could all learn from it.

If the combined wisdom of CS couldnt make it work, then no one could.

Like I said, we will need a build thread with pictures. 8-)

Comment

Ha!! It seems I started a debate in here~~LOL

Anyway, the reason i ask this is because the CKX works really well with coffee blends but not with single origins. Also, I want to create a milkbase coffee which tastes like some kind of "fruity" milkshake. Most of the coffee blends for milkbase from Melbourne are eathy & chocolate I found.

Thats why I want to covert it into a dual boiler machine. However, I like the saturated group head or the LaSpaziale vivaldi II group head design then the e61. Of course, it costs heaps for a saturated group head and the vivaldi II group head is a bit too small and it needs to be pumped in.

Tony

Comment

Get one of those new PID Lelits from Charlie at Jetblack - everything you need for brew temp stability (PID, saturated head) in a small package.

Sit it next to your San Marino and youre done!

Probably cost less in the long run too, particularly in stress levels!

Sniff

Comment

Originally posted by 78667E7365667D7C120 link=1310469713/11#11 date=1310694094
                          Get one of those new PID Lelits from Charlie at Jetblack - everything you need for brew temp stability (PID, saturated head)
                          Saturated head? I dont think so.

Comment

Originally posted by 3B3D2F21243D26480 link=1310469713/10#10 date=1310692913
                            Ha!! It seems I started a debate in here~~LOL.....Anyway, the reason i ask this is because the CKX works really well with coffee blends but not with single origins.......Tony

I see no one has so far wanted to pick up on this little gem ??????????

Please believe me when I say, coffee and coffee machines dont need to be that complicated (except apparently in special interest cyberspaces), and just reading the rest of your last post made my head hurt to the piont where I didnt even want to try & understand it (no offence intended  )

Mate.....KISS....remember the KISS principle 

Honestly, if you want a dual boiler machine with PID control for whatever reason, I am afraid you will have to sell the CKX and buy one of the "pidders".

Ours is a goodun! My home is the home of the BFC Junior EXTRA dual boiler PID machine, if thats the kind of thing you want.

Rgdz,
                            Attilio
                            very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E584A444158432D0 link=1310469713/10#10 date=1310692913
                              Anyway, the reason i ask this is because the CKX works really well with coffee blends but not with single origins.
                              Absolute Rubbish. I have one on my kitchen bench and make 2 coffees each morning, it works fine with SOs or Blends. Blends are combinations of SOs, so your logic really does sound ridiculous. How your SM can behave differently for a blend or and SO is purely your own skill level in grind adjustment, dose and tamp - practice your technique. I certainly would not be blaming the equipment.

Originally posted by 5E584A444158432D0 link=1310469713/10#10 date=1310692913
                              Also, I want to create a milkbase coffee which tastes like some kind of "fruity" milkshake. Most of the coffee blends for milkbase from Melbourne are eathy & chocolate I found.

Cmon please, you cant be real - have you have tried all the blends in Melbourne ?

Take the advice of dropping your machine into Craig and the 9Bar guys to have them check it out, but at the same time, perhaps you may want to consider thinking about adjusting or improving technique as a better investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X