Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expobar?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Expobar?

    hi, needing some pearls of wisdom. whats the cheapest user-friendly machine out there which helps with great microfoaming?

    we are coffee newbies in a cafe style set-up. we are not a coffee shop so coffee will never be our primary product. we do a lot of hot chocolate so needing a good steady steam wand that is great for microfoaming. anticipating 60 cups an hour of hot beverage out of the machine during peak time, and zero cups during quiet time. of those cups, probably only 25% will be coffee (the rest being hot chocolates and tea etc).

    in a nutshell, aiming for a user-friendly machine (given we are newbies) which will help to give a decent cup of coffee (so to ensure a minimum standard of quality across all we do) and of course, great milk froth for our other hot beverages. our budget requires us to not spend more than really necessary to achieve this...

    equipment/bean suppliers have recommended us a wide range - from la cimballi to la marzocco and everything between.

    sorting through the information, we were thinking of going with a 2 group expobar.

    given the context above, questions are:

    (1) what is necessary/sufficient for our requirements? mega crem, silvestre, ebica, G10, rugerro?

    (2) do we need a multi-boiler or will heat exchange do?

    thanks guys !

  • #2
    Re: Expobar?

    Depending on how much space you have on the bench
    The minimum would be a HX Bezera BZ40 single group head machine
    Or a Megacrem single they also come in 2 & 3 group

    I also hear that the Ruggero is a workhorse
    Dont forget to consider the Ranchilio 2 group machines

    Realistically speaking most commercial machines are built to handle your needs 
    Best to get a machine that has local supplier support with spare parts on the shelf in case of any mishaps
    Down time costs a business money

    KK



    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Expobar?

      Thanks KK!

      If you had to split the factors of a good coffee on a percentage basis between the barista, machine, grinder and beans - what would the respective percentages be?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Expobar?

        Originally posted by 020007041100050518610 link=1313327320/2#2 date=1313333031
        If you had to split the factors of a good coffee on a percentage basis between the barista, machine, grinder and beans - what would the respective percentages be?
        The problem with that question is that the beans can be changed and the barista can improve or modify their approach and procedures and technique. The machine and grinder is what they is and while there are adjustments to temperature and grind that can be made to varying degrees (depending on the equipment) they will always only operate within their design range of function.

        In other words, you can choose to grow into your equipment, or you purchase with the knowledge that someday you may outgrow your equipment.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Expobar?

          theres not a huge difference between any of the commercial machines from an ease of use perspective, so you can drop that as one of your requirements.

          As far as single group machines go, i would forget that idea as they wont be able to keep up with the steam you need for hot chocolates.

          If i were you, i would go for a 2 group HX machine with relatively high wattage, since hot chocs tend to be larger than your avg coffee and you will need the steaming ability.

          I would suggest a 2 group wega atlas, theyre reliable, good value and parts are everywhere, as well as having ample steam recovery for your needs.

          The 2 group expobar is only 3000w or so... maybe not enough for you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Expobar?

            Originally posted by 7B797E7D68797C7C61180 link=1313327320/2#2 date=1313333031
            Thanks KK!

            If you had to split the factors of a good coffee on a percentage basis between the barista, machine, grinder and beans - what would the respective percentages be?

            To make good coffee dont skimp on
            1) The grinder its more important that you think
            2) Training your staff or self (you never stop learning)
            All the elements you noted work in tandem and percentages change with small tweaks, they are all equally important as one another

            As a supplementary answer to the original post
            You can split the funds between a single group machine and grinder
            Also install an Urn for the hot chocolate drinks
            Coffee machines tend to spit out the steaming water under pressure and can be slow to fill a cup, so an urn will be quicker and possibly safer

            KK

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Expobar?

              Originally posted by 0D2920202323190D29352B29460 link=1313327320/5#5 date=1313366036
              Also install an Urn for the hot chocolate drinks
              Coffee machines tend to spit out the steaming water under pressure and can be slow to fill a cup, so an urn will be quicker and possibly safer
              Most places (that take pride in their product at least) dont use water in their hot chocolates, a concentrated amount of chocolate is used in the bottom of the cup like with an espresso based drink, and then the rest of the cup is steamed milk.

              A single group machine does not have the steaming capacity to keep up

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Expobar?

                Originally posted by 5D7963737871100 link=1313327320/6#6 date=1313368320
                Most places (that take pride in their product at least) dont use water in their hot chocolates, a concentrated amount of chocolate is used in the bottom of the cup like with an espresso based drink, and then the rest of the cup is steamed milk.

                A single group machine does not have the steaming capacity to keep up
                If you take the time and read the original post you may see why I answered in that way

                Originally posted by 737176756071747469100 link=1313327320/0#0 date=1313327320
                anticipating 60 cups an hour of hot beverage out of the machine during peak time, and zero cups during quiet time. of those cups, probably only 25% will be coffee (the rest being hot chocolates and tea etc).
                An urn is a very versatile piece of equipment and should not be underestimated

                I am not sure if one can get a combination urn and steamer (maybe a sponsor can advise)

                KK

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Expobar?

                  Originally posted by 10343D3D3E3E0410342836345B0 link=1313327320/7#7 date=1313369121
                  If you take the time and read the original post you may see why I answered in that way
                  Thanks for that amazing suggestion, i did in fact read the post but i didnt see anywhere that they make their hot chocolates with hot water? It just says that they need a decent steaming machine to steam milk for the hot chocs.

                  Yes, an urn can be useful, but in their case? probably not

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Expobar?

                    Originally posted by 0C2832222920410 link=1313327320/8#8 date=1313373290
                    Thanks for that amazing suggestion, i did in fact read the post but i didnt see anywhere that they make their hot chocolates with hot water? It just says that they need a decent steaming machine to steam milk for the hot chocs.

                    Yes, an urn can be useful, but in their case? probably not
                    You have an uncanny ability to think and be the only one right

                    All my life or at least in the past 40 years a family member has had a restaurant or cafe, even to this day 4 establishments owned and operated by a family member, so I speak with some experience

                    There are many ways to make a beverage as well as the equipment required

                    I gave the OP 2 alternate opinions and unfortunately you just rebuked me
                    Offer an alternative and let the OP decide >

                    KK

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Expobar?

                      Originally posted by 6A4E54444F46270 link=1313327320/8#8 date=1313373290
                      Thanks for that amazing suggestion, i did in fact read the post but i didnt see anywhere that they make their hot chocolates with hot water? It just says that they need a decent steaming machine to steam milk for the hot chocs.

                      Yes, an urn can be useful, but in their case? probably not
                      The original post states:
                      Originally posted by 44464142574643435E270 link=1313327320/0#0 date=1313327320
                      hot chocolates and tea
                      I believe KK anticipated their hot water requirement to make Tea, not hot chocolates, and hence wisely advised the purchase of an urn.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Expobar?

                        Originally posted by 43676E6E6D6D5743677B6567080 link=1313327320/9#9 date=1313374213
                        Originally posted by 0C2832222920410 link=1313327320/8#8 date=1313373290
                        Thanks for that amazing suggestion, i did in fact read the post but i didnt see anywhere that they make their hot chocolates with hot water? It just says that they need a decent steaming machine to steam milk for the hot chocs.

                        Yes, an urn can be useful, but in their case? probably not
                        You have an uncanny ability to think and be the only one right

                        All my life or at least in the past 40 years a family member has had a restaurant or cafe, even to this day 4 establishments owned and operated by a family member, so I speak with some experience

                        There are many ways to make a beverage as well as the equipment required

                        I gave the OP 2 alternate opinions and unfortunately you just rebuked me
                        Offer an alternative and let the OP decide  >

                        KK

                        Well actually i did suggest something which was to buy a 2group machine due to needing a fair amount of steam, and my other suggestion was to buy a cost effective machine whose parts can be attained from anywhere fairly easily: the Wega Atlas.

                        I didnt make a dick comment until you did, and i didnt rebuke you for the sake of it, i simply pointed out why your suggestion was hmm how do i say "sh!t" nicely not relevant to her situation. I even admitted that urns are great if you need lots of hot water!

                        obviously you have infinity years of experience in everything, therefore the op should buy a single group machine, a giant urn and that will work great!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Expobar?

                          Play nice guys. KK, youre a mod. You know better  :-?

                          In fact, you both know better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Expobar?

                            Originally posted by 0035383F0B173B32323131540 link=1313327320/12#12 date=1313375435
                            Play nice guys. KK- youre a mod. You know better  :-?
                            I have conducted myself with propriety
                            I have given my opinion end of story

                            KK

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Expobar?

                              The expobar is more like 3400w and have good capacity for steaming. +1 for the addition of an urn, you greatly increase your capacity if you dont draw hot water from the boiler for long blacks and teas.

                              See if you can play with the machines you are looking at as each one is a bit different and might not suit your needs.

                              Brett

                              Ps I love the expobar machines I have two!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X