Cremina to me is Australias best kept espresso secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cremina to me is Australias best kept espresso secret

For the last 10 days I havent even turned my La Marzocco Linea turned on. It has lots of bells and whistles added to it to make it a more precise and manageable machine and yes...it does make wonderful espresso.

Hell no....I havent given up coffee, just been having an extended trial run on an absolutely amazing espresso machine...the Olympia Cremina. I have read much of what I thought was hype on Home Barista and Coffeegeek and wanted to taste for myself.

Mine is a 1987 model that I have refurbished with new gaskets, o-rings and seals.

My partner openly and repeatedly offers that she prefers espressos that I make with this mini-lever machine to those that I make with the Linea. They taste smoother and sweeter to her and (I hate to admit this...) to me too. It is NOT hype.

Being a lever machine with no spring, each shot is profiled by the amount of force exerted downwards on the lever. I love being intimately involved with the extraction process and actually look forward to waking up before 6am to try this little beauty out another time. And getting home early from work....well I ALWAYS look forward to getting home from work.

As an added bonus, its size allowed me to put the Cremina into the boot of my car last weekend and drive to Sydney. I made my family what they all said was the best espresso they have had.

I will post a photo of my new machine later on. The physical dimensions do not give a clue of the magic that this machine can do.

For anyone who would like to see a new Cremina in the flesh, I have found out that Coffee Parts is now the Australian agent for the Olympia brand.

My partner asked me yesterday if I would ever turn the Linea back on.....maybe....

Re: Cremina to me is Australias best kept espresso secret

Photos are a must Im just starting my research all over again about which lever Im going to buy

Comment

Hi Shapeshifter,
      You can probably see that I have a thermometer strip attached to the grouphead. The temperature of each shot is surprisingly easy to control.

My partner prefers shots made whilst the first  block (90C) is coloured green. I prefer to have most of my shots made when the first block is a bit hotter (blue) and the next block just starts to change colour.

These temperatures are easily achieved by gently (barely) moving the lever up and down several times until the colours change, showing that the temperature of the grouphead has increased also. (If I move the lever to the limit of its upward travel, water streams through the grouphead and heats it in less controllable increments.)

It is uncanny that the Cremina is so small relative to the Linea.

I have only been using my "new"machine for a bit over a week but have had very good shots straight-up (Day 1)...which have developed to exceptional in a matter of just a few days. It is quite intuitive. Its also a keeper!

Comment

Its good to hear that some of these are getting around now, was almost nothing about them in Aussie till very recently.
        Am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh one day. In the meantime, I am pleasantly enjoying what my new PV Lusso lever can do.

Comment

thanks to Pedro at Coffee Parts for starting to import these into Australia... I am happy to say he has been great at communication and i should receive my brand new machine on Wednesday. Looking forward to being able to pull a few shots and post my results here.
          If you are in the market for a new lever machine, can i please ask that you look into these... they are amazing.

Comment

so, thought i better post a pic of the actual setup now that they are here...
            enjoy. (i know i am)

;D

Comment

and my first shot... not bad.

i have a lot of learning to do now... so bring on the coffees!

thanks again @coffeeparts for the hook-up. AMAZING!

Comment

Hey Joel....N-I-C-E setup!!!!

Your new Cremina looks almost identical to my 1987 Cremina. It is amazing how little they have changed in appearance since the first (1967) Cremina. Even internally they are extremely similar. The biggest change is going from a brass to a stainless steel boiler.

I have delved way-inside the covers of my Cremina, which previously sat unused for many years. I have replaced all o-rings and seals with silicone and viton parts. They are such an amazingly simple and wonderfully functional espresso machine. Your new Cremina should be a magic hand-me-down decades from now, still producing exquisite espresso....should you ever decide to let it go.

Indeed, that is a beaut first shot from your new baby. Feed this machine superbly-roasted beans and you wont get better espresso anywhere.

Cheers,
                Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by 0F3E3033305F0 link=1315273519/7#7 date=1317359892
                  Your new Cremina looks almost identical to my 1987 Cremina.
                  can you tell me where you got the temp strip from? looks like it might come in handy.

thanks,

Comment

Hi Joel,
                    It came from Orphan Espresso:-

The strip is invaluable in ascertaining exactly when the grouphead is up to speed.

I put mine on before I used it the machine the first time.

It lets me really nail the shots. Without it, I reckon there would be random shots until the operator eventually tunes-into the machine.

The temperature of the grouphead can be gradually and incrementally increased by gently moving the lever up and down in (maybe) 10cm arcs. Usually only several movements are needed to get the grouphead to register from the 90C block to turn green... to make it turn blue (hotter) and then a few more arcs to get the 95C block to turn green etc.
                    QUITE controllable!!!

Hot water only is released from the grouphead when the lever is at the top of the levers travel so no water will rush out when the lever is being moved to make these heating arcs.

I find the temp strip to be invaluable.

Cheers,
                    Paolo

Comment

I was an excellent chap last year...just ask me!

I rewarded myself with baubles and jewels...some  whilst visiting Coffee Parts in Sydney...who could resist? Lever devotees...would you have picked the red, white or black Cremina?

I have owned a 1987 Cremina for several months now that I use several times each week but just needed to have a new Cremina....and was sorely tempted by that amazing Speedster down the end there as well.

Check out the 1967 Cremina in the lineup (the first one). It has been lovingly restored and converted to 240 volts.  This is the only original model (67 Cremina) that I have seen. It is a living testament to the durability of these amazing machines. I made a beautiful long black with it and it is truly still a fabulous and functional machine.

My new Cremina has a larger capacity boiler and remains at a lower idle temperature than the earlier models do (for the same pressurstat settings). You can easily cool the older models grouphead to the right temperature between shots but the new one is just there at any given time.

I chose the white one and have ordered a red case that I can swap over...you know...a change is as good as a holiday....speaking of holidays, I am getting back to mine. Happy New Year to all Coffeesnobs.

I would like to ackowledge the fabulous service provided by one of our sponsors. This is the second espresso machine that I have purchased from Coffee Parts. I  am always impressed by the friendly and knowledgeable support that I get from Pedro and Cilinia. Thankyou very much!!

Comment

Love to have a look Paolo but the graphics are taking ages to load and time out- even with ADSL2+

Any chance you could resize down to say 600x whatever so that those of us without fibre optic can have a gander?

Happy New Year to you too and great to see a sponsor getting it right yet again.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

sigh shinies i will never be able to afford for a long time
                          makes me sad lol

Comment

Thanks Chris.
                            Sorry about that.
                            I have attached some more niceties. ENJOY!!!

Comment

Thanks Paolo...Gorgeous machine. Gotta love a little lever heaven!

Awesome Speedster shot as well [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

Working...
                              X