Problem with G/head Pressure on Expobar Megacrem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with G/head Pressure on Expobar Megacrem

I have a MegaCrem 1 group which is 7 years old. It works fine except the g/head pressuer is 5 bar. Changing the pump pressure nut makes no difference, closing the overpressure value makes no difference. (I have now lost the original setting for the opv!!). If I disconnect the inlet from the mains supply and stick it in a jug, it wont suck water even though the pump motor makes a noise. So I cannot descale to remove any blockages.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks.

Re: Problem with G/head Pressure on Expobar Megacrem

What is the mains water pressure in your area?
    I have a hunch it may be 5 bar.

Dud pump sounds likely, but best to get it checked before ordering a replacement.

Comment

if it is a dead pump, you might be able to revive it by taking it off and descaling it.

Comment

The mains pressure is about 5 bar. I have a hunch it may be a descaling issue as I believe it has not been descaled since new. I bought it 6 months age from a "traditional" hotel who had it in a public bar with untrained operators and no servicing. So it did not have much use, but always with power on, and rarely been flushed. Fun fun.

Comment

the vanes in the pump can become stuck (they use centripetal force to slot into place when the pump spins)... so if its all scaled up, even though the pump is spinning the vanes might not be doing their job. soak multiple times in descaler each time for a couple of days and you might get lucky.

Comment

I removed the pump, soaked it in de-scaler overnight and it worked! I now get 9 bar at the group head, after an adjustment, and the crema is excellent. Oh and the taste is good too.
            Many thanks for the advice, guys.

Comment

Working...
            X