Thanks, and lever update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, and lever update.

Well, my Izzo Nuova Pompei Lever is finally up and working after suffering transport damage and a *very* long winded repair saga!

My thanks go to Chris ( Talk Coffee ) for actually getting the repairs done; to Jack at Sorrentina for trying to find a repairer in Adelaide; and to The Coffee Man who guaranteed to fix it if I could get it to him.

I plumbed it in on the day it arrived back from Chris and proceeded to pull a shot that was one of the best Ive ever had. It was sweet (yeah--really sweet!), syrupy, and with just a hint of bitterness on the back palate. Im going to be re-thinking my roast profiles as neither sourness nor bitterness seem to come through the machine! And at long last I can really tell the difference between all the different bean origins.

The shots roll around in the cup like jelly, they are that viscous.

My usual drink has been piccolo lattes, or long macciatos, but I suspect that Im going to be moving more and more to straight ristrettos.

This machine is so forgiving. Ristrettos from 20 seconds all the way out to 45 seconds (too fine a grind 8-)) are all eminently enjoyable, and the roast profile is something that I can actually discriminate in the shot.

The only down side is that when I drink the amount of coffee I am enjoying, Im not sleeping! ;D

Ill endeavour to stop enjoying long enough to post some pics and videos.

Greg

Re: Thanks, and lever update.

Great to hear you are finally up and running Greg! Welcome to a rather exclusive club.

I agree with all your comments, these machines are simply in another class when it comes to ease of producing consistent god shots.

Luckily my coffee tolerance seems to be keeping up with the increased intake!

Comment

This one was a real saga with heartbreak for both seller and purchaser 

Never looked as there was no need to but this machine has a loop on inlet copper with the fill valve and some other bits attached to it. Its all supported at the front of the machine and pretty free at the rear. I guess harmonic vibration on the run interstate was enough to fracture a couple of pipes.

Fortunately, I have a great mate over here who did a terrific cut and shut job and Gregs now up and running. New bit will come from Italy should Greg choose to swap em over at some point.

Meanwhile, we want pix Greg!

These are wonderful machines and I concur with everything said on the shot front.

I have a Strega coming this week and it will be really fascinating to see just how well it can mix it with the big boy. 

Comment

OK--pics.
        And another great coffee!

Greg

Comment

that is one of the most beautiful espresso machines I have ever seen ....   :P... I wonder how much I could get for a kidney probably not enough

Comment

Nice one and worth the wait for years of great coffee to follow 8-)

The 55mm baskets I think are the major key to the forgiveness. Distribution is virtually a non issue as the depth of the baskets makes channelling virtually impossible.

Just remember if your having a boozy party to remove the lever to avoid damage to the machine or unwary human faces

Comment

I love the Pompeii, its a beautiful piece of machinery.

I still occasionally find myself giggling to myself when I remember something Galumay posted a while ago about his Pompeii.

I am paraphrasing, but he was basically saying the machine is so forgiving, you could put International Roast in the portafilter and still get a great shot!  ;D

Comment

wow - That machine is a beast and very shiney too!

Comment

Originally posted by 6D75747E7F681A0 link=1316863981/4#4 date=1316928974
                  that is one of the most beautiful espresso machines I have ever seen ....   :P... I wonder how much I could get for a kidney probably not enough 
                  Thanks, I think its beautiful too--even though it is huge!

According to a web search a kidney is worth between $3000 (in India) and $50 000 (black market in the U.S.). So a kidney will easily get you a machine, depending on where you sell it. ;D
                  Good luck!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 43766163536B7669656860040 link=1316863981/0#0 date=1316863981
                    I suspect that Im going to be moving more and more to straight ristrettos.
                    cmon!!!

as a fellow Adelaidian, i would love to see the machine some time if you think its appropriate. I have been following these ever since Galumay posted photos of his red beast. I was very impressed by the finish of the machine and the pours he pulled.

cheers,

Joel

Comment

Just hang on bit Joel. :

Im also a member at Stereo Net Australia and will be hosting a get-together for music and coffee later next month.

Greg

Comment

great... let me know. would be good to meet you and the "baby"!

Comment

Greg, thanks for the "kidney" research...

India, probably end up with some unidentifiable disease from the Ganges, when they clean me and bath me post op.

The good old U.S of A....They would probably just cut me up and take all of me once I was under anesthetic...Hell theyd prob do the same in India as well.... 

Id be just another missing tourist trying to make a quick buck for a high end espresso machine..Im sure it happens all the time.

Ill just keep collecting my cans, and dreaming 

Comment

Go on you mob, kidney, spare lung. first born child if you have one its worth it

About to give my 3grp a scrub and polish before the Summer usafge as it has been in mothballs for winter (had to resort to the 1 grp Fioranzato Lever 8-) ). Even though it doesnt need it (no leakage yet) I am going to put new rubber in the groups of the Izzo.

I will post up some photos of the groups as I get into it.

Comment

Im also a member of SNA under an old CS username (and more normal nickname). Im happy to invite myself over for a play on your lever next time Im in Adelaide

Things of beauty - Im thinking of selling a kidney and swapping the Galatea for a Strega, but need to compare to the Izzo & Z8/NCL/Z9

Comment

Working...
                              X