Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

    been done before, something like the same as an incandescent light bulb once it has warmed up

  • #2
    Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

    There used to be a sticky at the top of the page to allow CSers to calculate their machines daily energy consumption - It seems to have disappeared..... :-?

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

      These days for domestic machines or under 2400W power monitors are fairly cheap.

      This one is under $22


      And this wireless solution that will handle up to 3 devices is under $45 with one sender.


      If you play carefully there is no reason you cant use a digital datalogging multimeter and the original software to do the job either

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

        Thank you guys that reply this thread. I accidently delete the original post regarding electricty bill for leaving machine with 1.5 to 3 liters boiler on all day.

        Your information helps heaps.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

          Originally posted by 55525659515B4E5E5950370 link=1317508931/2#2 date=1317600370
          These days for domestic machines or under 2400W power monitors are fairly cheap.

          This one is under $22
          Ive never had much luck with these cheapies bean....

          First one gave up the ghost before the battery did and the second one (replacement for the first) the display died almost as quickly. Ended up returning and getting a refund....

          Mal.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

            Anyone know if you can get a timer for 3phaze power. Would it be a good idea to put a commercial 3group machine on a timer to save $$$

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

              Originally posted by 655D5441775A4C350 link=1317508931/5#5 date=1317654452
              Anyone know if you can get a timer for 3phaze power. Would it be a good idea to put a commercial 3group machine on a timer to save $$$
              Talk to your friendly sparky, couple of hundred $ in bits and some labour. I have a dedicated one in the garage to warm up mine before I get to work.

              Originally posted by 715C585459350 link=1317508931/4#4 date=1317649245
              Ive never had much luck with these cheapies bean....
              Not sure about these but I do know people who have brought these ones from Rockby and have had heaters on them.

              Thing to remember with this is that even running my 3 grp 6 or 7 hours a day is less than the cost of one bad t/away coffee a day so ignore the cost or insulate to help and enjoy the coffee I reckon 

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                Originally posted by 0106020D050F1A0A0D04630 link=1317508931/6#6 date=1317682353
                Thing to remember with this is that even running my 3 grp 6 or 7 hours a day is less than the cost of one bad t/away coffee a day so ignore the cost or insulate to help and enjoy the coffee I reckon 
                Exactly... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                  I was curious about this also, so recently I borrowed one of those power consumption things. With my machine running all day (la cimbali 1 group junior), it only uses power when the pump is running, or the boiler is heating up. When its sitting dormant it rarely draws power except when the boiler needs to reheat every now and then, it works out as using less power than the electric kettle (9 cups of tea + per day). So I just keep it on most of the time now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                    I was curious myself so i just did the "imprecise but precise enough" stopwatch test. The test machine: Grimac mini (aka la uno) (e61 with 1.3L boiler, 1300w element, pretty standard). After the machine was left on all night, this morning the element would be on for 6.5 seconds and then off for 45 seconds. At 1.3kw power usage while the element is firing, and at our current NSW power rate of 25.5c/kw, that gives approx 3.9kwH/24h or a nice round 100.2 cents per 24h day cost

                    edit: was looking at the last bill, this bill its gone up to 29.1c/kwH >

                    Obviously this doesnt take into account when you use the machine, but even if you used it a lot (as in 20 milk coffees per day), it probably wouldnt add more than half a kwH to the total. This also doesnt take into account how much power it would use if you turned it on say 3 times a day to make a coffee, and off in between. Anyone measure with one of those gadgets how many kwH it takes to get a similar machine to operating temp?

                    This makes me a little more curious as to the benefits of insulating the boiler... if you could say extend the time that the boiler just coasts and holds temp by 1.5x or 2x, It could possibly end up being almost as efficient to just leave the machine on in the day, and only turn it off at night, rather than turning it off between coffee sessions.

                    I dont know about the general population, but i live in an apartment and our energy consumption is between 10 and 20kwH/day... so the coffee machine isnt negligible. Plus if you have an extra dollar per day on your energy bill, its going to be a few hundred bucks a year (obviously :P )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                      Originally posted by 592B2B686F72757C1B0 link=1317508931/8#8 date=1317784138
                      I was curious about this also, so recently I borrowed one of those power consumption things. With my machine running all day (la cimbali 1 group junior), it only uses power when the pump is running, or the boiler is heating up. When its sitting dormant it rarely draws power except when the boiler needs to reheat every now and then, it works out as using less power than the electric kettle (9 cups of tea + per day). So I just keep it on most of the time now.
                      You could just use the coffee machine to draw water for teas?

                      I tell my girlfriend this, but she scoffs and insists on using her breville kettle which you can heat to different temperatures :

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                        Mischa, we do. Sorry I wasnt very clear on that in my post.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                          Its still so worth it for the $1+ish a day especially if its at work and deductible

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                            Originally posted by 6F686C636B617464636A0D0 link=1317508931/12#12 date=1318251220
                            Its still so worth it for the $1+ish a day especially if its at work and deductible 

                            Yeah a no brainer in a commercial situation

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Electricity bill to leave your machine on all day

                              Probably even more dollar savings gained (over time) with the cooler operating environment for the electrics/electronics.... 8-)

                              Mal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X