Another Duetto PID problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Duetto PID problem

I noticed the PID temp dropped on the brew side to abound the 150F mark when the machine was on. I normally have it set to 199F so I went into the menu to reset and noticed that the settings jumped from 150F to 200F so I couldnt set in between. I also noticed that half the numbers were not being displayed nor some of the letters on the menu. I contacted Claudette of Bella Barista who admitted she wasnt really familiar with the internals of the machine but said I was the third person who contacted her with the same problem (only numbers/letters not being displayed. Not the temp showing dodgy reading) this week. She sent me a new temperature probe and said she would order a new PID but to see how I got on with the probe first. I have stripped the machine down and cant turn the brass nut on the brew boiler which houses the probe. I dont want to put to much pressure on it in case I do damage to the boiler and a bit reluctant to drive about 1 hour for them to do something I probably can do myself. Has anyone perhaps Chris got any views on this.
    Cheers...........dennis

Re: Another Duetto PID problem

Hi Dennis,

I would be surprised if its an issue with the boiler probe unless its severely scaled or continuity has been compromised. A dud probe is more likely to throw an A1 or A3 alarm- dependent on the way the PID has been wired. I also dont like them run in oF at all. We saw a few PIDs early in the peace which were incompletely programmed and one with a missing display segment, but never this issue.

The Gicar PID was initially manufactured to operate Celsius and then ported for the US market. I have seen weird behaviour in oF and my instinct is that all PID settings need to be changed to run in oF. We advise owners to operate exclusively oC. At the very least, the offset is incorrect but I suspect more as a switch causes big overshoot. I doubt that many people can achieve the consistency required to taste a 1oF change anyway. If an autotune function was present, the change in units of measurement would certainly be easier.

We have hardware and software to program the PID and as I understand it, were the first importer in the world to have this. Id be trying a reprogram first and then swapping the PID out. Has anything happened in the life of the machine to potentially compromise the PID?

As for the boiler probe, you are correct. You wont do it with one spanner as the probes are tight. I remove plumbing to allow me to brace the boiler with a second spanner.

On a different note, it really worries me when businesses sell boxes and dont employ someone to learn the machine, diagnose faults and repair them or alternately invest the time to skill themselves.

Im surprised that they want you to do the repair?? Too many people ignore this when they purchase, seeking just the cheapest deal. :

Good luck with the repair.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris and thanks for the reply. I took your advice and tried to change back to centigrade but unfortunately that is not going to happen because the temp ranges on the T1 setting go from 50 through to 59 then jumps to 100 through to 128 then goes to 60 through to 69 then back to 50 and starts the cycle again. The menu is still unclear to read cause of the lettering missing. I will leave the probe cause as you rightly pointed out the plumbing does have to be removed. Nothing has happened in the life of the machine to compromise the PID so I guess I will leave alone and have to drive it back to base and leave it there and pick it up another time (pain in the arse) Im out of my depth with things like this so no coffee until its fixed. Im already thinking that my next machine will have less electronics.
      Thanks
      dennis

Comment

I am sure they will find that its the PID Dennis. I wouldnt change the probe unless there is a fault after the PID has been done. If yours has seen moisture, you will likely see corrosion on the two small screws at the rear of the PID housing. If it is there, you will need to eliminate this at the source.

My opinion remains that the dealer should be doing this work and its a quick job. If they provide quality service, there is no reason why the work couldnt happen while you wait.

FWIW, we now have almost 150 machines in Australia and have found them to be particularly robust. The PID is a 3rd party item and as per usual, outsourced bits can vary a tad. These are relatively complex machines, so there are more parts, but there is no reason a PID SSR combination should not be more reliable than a pressurestat.

Good luck with the repair. I am sure you will be up and running rapidly.

Chris

Comment

I gave up on the probe on your advice and now waiting for the PID (from Italy I presume) Bella said they would do the repair but unfortunately not open on a Saturday so I would have to drop off and leave it at the adjacent shop and go back again at a cost of £50 worth of petrol. I will have a go at changing the PID myself cause it can only be unplugging the old and plugging the new one in I hope  :-/. If all goes terribly wrong I will have to spend the petrol money and take it to Bella Barista. Thanks Chris.........Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by 5C4A475843464A452B0 link=1319883121/4#4 date=1320086323
            I gave up on the probe on your advice and now waiting for the PID (from Italy I presume) Bella said they would do the repair but unfortunately not open on a Saturday so I would have to drop off and leave it at the adjacent shop and go back again at a cost of £50 worth of petrol. I will have a go at changing the PID myself cause it can only be unplugging the old and plugging the new one in I hope  :-/. If all goes terribly wrong I will have to spend the petrol money and take it to Bella Barista. Thanks Chris.........Dennis
            No worries Dennis,

Youre welcome to skype me if you would like me to talk you through the installation. Make sure you have a small Phillips head screwdriver to gain access to the two screws at the rear of the PID.

Grab some small cable ties as well- you will need em.

Good luck

Chris

Comment

Thanks mate. Definitely take you up on that if I have grief

Comment

Working...
              X