Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera BZ35DE - on the bkink!

Hi all,

I have come to switch on my coffee machine and all of the lights on the touch pad were blinking!   [smiley=shocked.gif]  Then I noticed that the machine was left on over night with a blanket over it, that is to keep the dust off and to keep it from loosing heat during winter, but the previous day was 30+ degrees.

I turned it off and then it will not turn on again.

Before I go looking for the fault myself, I would like to hear from anyone that has had a similar problem and how they have solved it.

I will attempt to fix this myself, but it would be nice to hear other peoples experience in similar circumstances.

Cheers
    z.

Re: Bezzera BZ35DE - on the bkink!

Welcome to CS high altitude.

This may vary in its meaning between individual brands and models and I dont know if it is the case with the BZ35, but usually all LEDS blinking / flashing on a touch pad is a programmed "alarm" that means there has been a water failure.

First thing if this is a plumb in mains connection, is to see if someone in your household turned off the stop cock that feeds the machine. Next would be to see if the water pressure reduction valve has failed.

Lastly I dont know what you mean by ".....I turned it off and then it will not turn on again...". Do you mean it does exactly the same thing? Or do you mean it actually wont switch back on electrically ie it appears to be electrically "dead"?

If its dead....stop right there, forget DIY and take it in for service.

Hope that helps,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Hi Attilo,

Thank you for your detail response.

The lack of water: I have not considered. On checking the level of water in the 10 litre bottle that I draw the water from, sure enough it is totally empty. Chances are that the pump could have been sucking up the water for an extended period of time during the night and possibly suffered a damage???

Any hints on how to check the pump/motor if its ok.

My problem at this stage is that the machine seems to not have reset itself and turns off after about one second after pressing the on button. The lights on the control panel are no longer flashing, I think that the machine does not progress far enough in the start up process to reach the point of checking the water level???

Cheers
      z

Comment

Originally posted by 36373936013F322A372A2B3A3B5E0 link=1321883037/2#2 date=1321951523

The lack of water: I have not considered. On checking the level of water in the 10 litre bottle that I draw the water from, sure enough it is totally empty. Chances are that the pump could have been sucking up the water for an extended period of time during the night and possibly suffered a damage???

Any hints on how to check the pump/motor if its ok.
        Having the water run out completely is definitely a bad thing for the pump and the boiler in your machine. However, the BZ35 has quite a number of safeties that will trigger when there is a problem with water supply.

Your first point of action should be to prime the machine properly to make sure there is water in the boiler etc. you may find the only way to do this effectively is by hooking up the machine to mains water so that it has some pressure when its turned on. I once had some joker turn of the water on my BZ35, after which he happily kept pulling shots. Needless to say, the machine was less than happy with this after a few shots (long blacks for which he took water from the boiler). After a whike the boiler had not enough water and too much steam which made the safety valve pop with a very loud pop and hiss, the lights started blinking etc. Sound familiar?

Before you do anything else, hook the thing up to mains water and then turn it on to see if itll start filling. Hopefully it will open up the mains solenoid valve which will allow the pressure from the mains to start pumping water into the machine. The pump should kick in after a few seconds. If this is what happens you may find it will stop and show blinking light again after a while. If the level in the boiler is so low that it takes a long time to fill it, the electronics may think the pump is not working and shut the machine down. Youll need to turn it off and on to get it to continue filling the boiler.

If after a few off and on cycles it stops pumping and no light start blinking, you are in luck and no permanent damage is done. The heating element should now come on (indicated by the orange light) aand the machine wil start warming up. Open  the steam wand during this warm up cycle to allow for pressure release (its advisable to have the steam wand in a jug during this process). Once steam starts to conistently run through the wand, close the wand and allow for the machine to get to the correct pressure.

Your machine should now be ready for use - and dont ever let it run dry again!

If however, at the end of the filling cycle the machine goes, click and trips your power, you have killed the heating element and your machine will need to go in for repairs.

Let me know what area youre in and I may know a good cser to have a look at it for you.

Comment

Both responses are pretty spot on
          You can also fill the boiler manually
          This is achieved by removing the water level probe or the anti vac valve or a pipe fitting located on top of the boiler

Here is a PDF of the BZ35 Specs
          http://www.bezzera.it/home_ing.html

KK

Comment

Hi,

The pump was isolated and tested to be working fine: there is no blockage at the pump. I have removed the solenoid that is up the line, dismantled and descaled all the inner parts. Now I am contemplating to test the solenoid to see if it is working.

I will post the results.

I still have the problem that the machine does not want to turn on. If any one knows why my Bezzera BZ35 is not turning on I would appreciate to here from you.

Cheers
            z

Comment

Hi all,

I have just finished reading the post from IPDiscuss and Koffee Kosmo.

I totally agree I should have not allowed it to run dry. It is my mistake, the positive in all this is that I will get to know my machine even more. When I bought it secondhand in June this year I pulled it just about all apart, descaled and cleaned it and put it back together. I followed the post by John Yossarian  (coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234695363) very closely. I want to thank Coffeesnobs for the fantastic resource and knowledge base on coffee matter.

I have been making coffee for the five months and now this happened.

The heater is ok, the resistance is 39.5ohms which checks out with 1350W and 240v.
              Tomorrow, after I test the solenoid I will assemble it and see if it turns on. The solenoid parts had quite a lot of scale on them, may be this has caused the water not to flow. I will see tomorrow.

Cheers
              z

Comment

check the re stricter between the Heat Exchanger and the Solonoid if there is the place we always clean when we do general service. Also take apart your group head and check the 4 holes on top of the group head if this is full of coffee oils, this could be as well

Regard

Renzo
                Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Hi all,

The problem has been isolated to the main on - off switch.

Looks like the heat from being covered with a blanket and also being very hot outside has caused the steam and water knobs to deform and the switch to work only intermittently. Fiddling with the switch has allowed me to turn the machine on: all functions are working. I am very relieve by this news. I have ordered a new switch and knobs from our sponsor, Barazi Bezzera.

Thank you to all those that have contributed, it has given me extra confidence in diagnosing and fixing this problem.

Cheers
                  z

Comment

Originally posted by 65646A65526C617964797869680D0 link=1321883037/8#8 date=1322129930
                    Hi all,

The problem has been isolated to the main on - off switch.

Looks like the heat from being covered with a blanket and also being very hot outside has caused the steam and water knobs to deform and the switch to work only intermittently.

Yes, well........ Lesson is..... Dont put blankets over coffee machines. ;D

Comment

Working...
                    X